Stafford Virginia, anyone need a4/a5/b4 TDI work? Broken Glow Plug Removal too.

azianjiu

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hope Turbo is doing okay from his surgery. My jetta is running great still after your work. If anyone needs any work on their TDI in the Washington Metropolitan Area I would highly recommend Tom. Hes very friendly and well worth the trip.

harperhoe

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Another Happy Customer ...

Just got back from a trip to Stafford to see Tom for a timing belt on my 2003 wagon. Tom does the job right!

I learned a lot about what needs to be done to keep the car working well.

Highly recommended, and highly appreciated!

Harper

mdtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta tdi "Blue Bob"
MAF what maf sensor did you say map hmm

Tom ran down the cel light to a defective maf sensor. Don't know why I pronounce it map must be because english is my second language.

So now bob, my white b4 is running on tom's MAF sensor until I track one down for myself

Oil change was done and the cause of the oil leak was traced to the middle main seal gasket which Tom replaced.

Burned out bulb was replaced properly with the socket coated in antioxidizing die electric grease to prevent future corrosion or a stuck bulb.

Broken plastic cover of the headlight was replaced again from one of toms donor cars

Tom has also started replacing screws with stainless steel replacements. Looks great and will not corrode

Oil change performed with shell Rotella T6 napa filter-did not have time to make the trex to impex for proper mann filter

For the next oil change we will look changing worn out tensioner which is causing one of the belts to make noise during start up. Change one of the plastic lenses in the bumper which is has a little hole.

A lot of fumes seem to be also getting into the cabin. That leaky exhaust may need to be look at for next time also. It gets me sleepy on a long drive. Thinking about getting a home co2 sensor as my canary in the car.

I was also able to do work on the laptop and take a conference call while seeing turbo chase squirrels.

Another awesome Tom earl appointment. See you as soon as I get the MAF sensor which should be way before the next oil change. Car is driving awesome! Next visit at 165k!

Last edited:

thebaz67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi A7
A big thanks

Just a big thanks to ninedee_golf_tdi for spending all of Friday sorting out my 05 Passat. Rebuilding both axles, replacing the Steering Angle Sensor, and adjusting the timing of the engine (that VW set so far out) now the car starts like it should with what is essentially a new engine.

It was a pleasure digging into the B5 with you and Turbo (he is an excellent supervisor)

Thanks again

Baz

Spectrum

TDI
2005 Golf GL TDI
Just want to say thanks to Tom for changing the TB on my 05 Golf, he also changed two noisy front wheel bearings, he is meticulous and I would recommend his work to anyone needing his services.

97passat_md

TDI
97 Passat TDI Silver
For TDI Repairs -- Tom Rocsk!!!

Monday evening my car started to smoke then the oil light came on-- I had the car towed to Tom Earl's place. (He saved my car) He figured out what was wrong , ordered the part and fixed the car. The oil pipe was cracked. He also replaced the damper pulley, supertine tensoner (?) and supertine roller. The car runs like a new car.
He does a great job...

Rose
97 Passat

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
A dealer does it again

97passat_md said:
The oil pipe was cracked.
The oil feed line (VW calls it a pipe) on a3's/b4's to the turbo is supposed to be anchored by two clamps one of which attaches to the water outlet flange and another on a bracket on the exhaust manifold and whose purpose is to prevent pipe vibration. Vibration will cause these steel pipes to crack and since it is pressurized oil, it won't take long to pump the engine dry. If you own one of these cars, it would behoove you to check the clamps existence.

fwiw, Rose's engine was replaced by a dealership which neglected to install these two clamps on the replacement engine.

Last edited:

mdtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Just had a new maf sensor installed and new N109 relay installed by Tom and he fixed a broken bulb in the back too!

He let me borrow an MAF sensor until I was able to get one for my car. It does not get any better than this!

I just did an led upgrade for my car here is what it looks like now.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=runecrazy&target=ALBUM&id=5474660134800950865&authkey=Gv1sRgCJfUufH_s9maqgE&feat=email

I saved a set of leds for Tom for being such a great mechanic! These leds should look really good especially with your new E-codes

Calico Red

Perpetual Newbie
TDI
Passat 1996 Blue (sold 2/25/2012), Jetta 2005 Blue
Thank you Tom! I had a very c-o-o-l drive home. The a/c worked so well I was looking for penguins to pop out of the vents. And the headliner stayed up, didn't sag or crash down on me, and looks great! You and Ralf did a fantastic job!!

brett.knutson

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Strut Bushings

Tom,

Been reading the posts, sounds like you are the go-to guy in the DC area.

I recently took my 2002 Jetta to the dealer for the brake switch recall, and they tried selling me new strut bushings/bearings for $400.

I can only assume I will get a better finished product at a better price from a local guru, can you help me out?

The car has almost 150k on it, and I get the swaybar bushing squeak as well. Would like to do all at once, if you can squeeze me in. Weekends are best, and I will be available 26-27 June.

Please let me know, and how you prefer to handle parts. Shall I buy myself and bring with, or do you get a discount somewhere?

Thanks in Advance,
Brett

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Tom,

Do you feel like wrenching on my Mk2 a bit? I have a busted motor mount that needs to be replaced (radiator side).

-Lawson

mdtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Tom was able to squeeze me in for an oil change yesterday. Thanks to Kooyagerms for the 6pack of mann filters. Walmart was out of Rotella T 5w-40. Bought some delvac which was unfortunately the wrong oil. He had Rotella T on hand and did the job with the correct oil.

He noticed that one of the vacuum lines was fraying. He did not have time to fix but gave me a length of silicone tubing to do the job myself gratis. He was so thorough as to give me a connector so I merely connect the new hose to the old and as I pull the old hose out the new one seamlessly takes it's place. Better than threading the new one through.

I so cool seeing you tackle that 1z transplant into a vanawagon. Till next time.

Last edited:

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2015, Silver; Passat, 1997, Blue
I gave your contact info to a guy with auto tranny problems in Stafford - it might not be up your alley but I thought I'd give you a head's up.

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2015, Silver; Passat, 1997, Blue
I need to have a vnt actuator replaced and the car gone over to review some previous work by others. Can you shoot em a PM to discuss times, etc? email would be even better.

conjett

TDI
2010 Sportswagen
Just bought my first TDI a few weeks ago bump (2010 Sportswagen) and glad to know there is a reputable TDI mechanic in the same county where I live. Looking forward to doing business with you in the future.

Opie

TDI
2005.5 Jetta A5 TDI
Hi Tom, I have been away for awhile (lost 2 friends) and wanted to come by and see you. I was very sad to hear of your loss of your pet and companion. The picture was absolutely touching. I have been coming by to try to catch you out but haven't seen you yet. I will keep trying.

John

robtechno

TDI
2015 Golf 2.0 TDI.Sport wagen 53K. Previously a Jetta 06 with 205K. A5-BRM,
Tom, I recently moved from Savannah, GA to Flint Hill in VA.
I am reading a lot about you on this website.
I need a new local mechanic for our 06 TDI-BRM. Mileage 98845.
Can you pm me for a TB replacement and what else is in the kit to set up an appointment.
Thank you.

Regards,
Rob

Glo Way

TDI
2012 TDI MKVI Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks to Tom for the outstanding work on my TDI. He performed a TB replacement and a couple other small items. He showed me the problem with VAG COM and the parts that were worn out, while the timing cover was off. His prices are very reasonable. He suggestion to not drive the car was a good one, since the belt should have jumped off, with the broken roller that was present. He takes the time to educate you and show you why things must be replaced. His work ethic is beyond reproach. He even followed-up with a phone call just to make sure all was working well.

Stay tuned for my next post in another area of the forum. I will post pics that show the problem with the old TB assembly and also give some clues as to which TDI seller/dealer caused the problem. This seller states he always changes the TB on every car he sells.