www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 11th, 2019, 09:46   #1
jhax
Veteran Member
Default Interesting Radio Behavior to Note

Good Morning All,

I just wanted everyone to learn from an experience I had with respect to the stock Premium stereos in our cars. I am unsure if this happens with all of them but it certainly happened with mine (I have the stereo with the CD mono jack from the B3 Passats). Over time as I drove my car daily, I would notice the stereo sound cut out, then come back, then cut out, then come back, etc. The display would remain on but the sound would cut out.

As time progressed I observed the same behavior, with the addition of the entire stereo shutting off and going into "the car is locked" mode (display off flashing red anti theft LED), then it would come back.

I was assuming it was either a bad ground or my ignition switch was going. One day I was driving and noticed that the cutting out and returning suddenly stopped and thought it odd. The next time I drove the car, it was dark out so I naturally turned on my headlights and the radio display light was not on. I have been driving like this for several days now, including a trip to Santa Fe and the radio no longer cuts out.

So perhaps a third reason our stereos cut out, the first being bad ignition switch and the second a bad ground, could be that your display light is going away?

Cheers,
Justin
jhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 16:13   #2
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Maybe it could be because the radio is over 2 decades old. Electronics fail. A repair shop may be able to get it 100%, if it’s not the switch and ground.

Both are easy to test.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 19:04   #3
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

you USE A RADIO? lol get with the times
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 21:31   #4
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
you USE A RADIO? lol get with the times
I do too, all the time...

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2019, 09:47   #5
jhax
Veteran Member

Hey, this has an AUX jack, on the other side of that mono cable, why a Microsoft Zune HD is plugged in.
jhax is offline   Reply With Quote