Need new tires ASAP

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
I was really hoping to push my tires until at least the end of the summer when "buy 3 get one for 1 penny" sales start, but I have a weak tire that started to split on the side today, resulting in my first spare tire change!

So, I need a new set ASAP. I had a set of General Altimax all weathers on my Mk4 years ago and they were brilliant for the price, so I might go that route again. Any recommendations for a great set of all weathers that are reasonably priced? Thanks!

This is the set that I have in mind.

Also, this just popped into my head, but do tires on a new car carry a warranty? I'm pushing 60k miles at under 2 years.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I enjoy Nokean enTyre 2.0 on the '12 passat, may not be the cheapest but were a great mid priced tire thats a LRR, quiet, and long lasting.

We've put 20-25K on the '12 Passat and they could easily go another 30-40K.

Cool feature is a water performance % indicator, on the tread a 100% shows when new, then wears down to 80% then 60% and so on, these are showing 60%.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Even if you have warantee, it is pro-rated, and at 60k, not worth much besides a minor discount on over-priced tires from the dealer. 60k is respectable for an OEM tire. Should probably just move on...

The General tire you propose? I have no experience with General (maybe someone can chime in here). This site is populated with Michelin fans. Personally, I like Yokahama for long mileage, Contis are also very well liked by folks on this site.

If you want to buy a month or two, borrow someone's winter tires, or something.

Lots of rain where you live? or wet traction important, try Conti Pure Contact (or Michelin recommended by someone else here). Dry pavement? OEM Conti ProContact is a good choice if you find a good price (Pure COntact nearly as good). Fuel economy more important? try a LRR tire like Yokahama Avid Ascend. That's a LONG lasting tire if you like the ride characteristics. Put those on my Passat and loved the ride. Nice and sticky. Never drove in lots of water on that tire, but rated good.

So many choices, many of them pretty good, depending on your priorities.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I was really hoping to push my tires until at least the end of the summer when "buy 3 get one for 1 penny" sales start, but I have a weak tire that started to split on the side today, resulting in my first spare tire change!

So, I need a new set ASAP. I had a set of General Altimax all weathers on my Mk4 years ago and they were brilliant for the price, so I might go that route again. Any recommendations for a great set of all weathers that are reasonably priced? Thanks!

This is the set that I have in mind.

Also, this just popped into my head, but do tires on a new car carry a warranty? I'm pushing 60k miles at under 2 years.
Head to Discount Tire and get some Conti-Pure Contacts. They are an amazing All weather LRR tire with excellent tread life and comes HIGHLY rated.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Head to Discount Tire and get some Conti-Pure Contacts. They are an amazing All weather LRR tire with excellent tread life and comes HIGHLY rated.
I agree with this opinion. I put a set of Pure Contacts on my ALH wagon and they are performing well. I've driven in some rain and pushed them to see if what they claim is true. I experienced easily controlled drift, which is about as good as you can expect. My suspension is now the achilles heal:rolleyes:

I need new rear shocks, new struts and possibly a new and stiffer torsion bar!
Saving up for Konis.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree with this opinion. I put a set of Pure Contacts on my ALH wagon and they are performing well. I've driven in some rain and pushed them to see if what they claim is true. I experienced easily controlled drift, which is about as good as you can expect. My suspension is now the achilles heal:rolleyes:

I need new rear shocks, new struts and possibly a new and stiffer torsion bar!
Saving up for Konis.
I have gone through 2 sets of the Pure Contacts and 3 Pro Contacts before that. Never less than 70k on a set and never was in a dangerous tread depth either. I only use Discount Tire now because they are very good at what they do, because it's all they do, *wheels and *tires and their service reps/techs are great as well as the tire certificate program just can't be beat. Funny story since I see you live in KC, I lost a tire to a washed out pothole on the interstate in early June coming through downtown headed back to Omaha. MODOT paid me (and about 30 other drivers) for damages but you can't beat replacing a tire for $17 with the Discount Tire Certificate program!

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
For the price the Altimax all season and especially the studded Arctic's can't be beat. They are all I buy now. I believe that the Nokian's, Michelins and Continentals cited here may be better tires head to head but not so much when price is factored in. Go to Tire Rack and check the test results. I know that the Altimax RT-43's are the latest iteration of the series. They are quiet, smooth, react well in cornering, have good on center feel and return. They are just OK in the rain and tend to light up fairly easily if you are aggressive from a stop at an intersection.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I would have no issue running the Generals. They are made by Continental so they are of good quality. That plus the Tire Rack reviews are generally pretty positive.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
I've had 4 complete sets of the Arctics and now 3 sets of the all seasons and none have been a repeat as far as country of manufacture. The latest set is from Romania. Prior sets have come from the USA, Mexico, France, Germany, Portugal and Brazil. Seems strange that they wouldn't optimize manufacturing of a style to one or two plants. Efficiency of scale and all that.

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
wider footprint?

:)
Thoughts on using 235-45-17 tire size instead of the recommended 225-45-17 for summer/dry weather tires?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
:)
Thoughts on using 235-45-17 tire size instead of the recommended 225-45-17 for summer/dry weather tires?
Tire calculator says you'll be looking at a speed variance (speedo reading) 1.40% too slow but I don't think you'll have too much trouble with that size. Why are you going to use that wider tire?

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

*Anyone need some 205/55R16 Conti-Pro Contacts with 2k miles on them? First 80 miles were just the dealer driving it monthly for routine maintanence and the last 1820 are highway from me before I swapped my 17's off my Buyback TDI to the new GSW TDI.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
BFGoodrich Comp 2 A/S

Don't get the Sumitomo +HTR P02, rubber's too hard, grips like a greased pig in wet conditions.

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Tire calculator says you'll be looking at a speed variance (speedo reading) 1.40% too slow but I don't think you'll have too much trouble with that size. Why are you going to use that wider tire?
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator
Have not decided yet, still have time as this will be for next spring when swapping 16" wheels (snows) to newly purchased 17" wheels.
Was thinking the wider 235 (vs. 225) would provide a bigger contact patch and thus better cornering, and curious about what others think of a wider tire as a worthwhile mod...

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Have not decided yet, still have time as this will be for next spring when swapping 16" wheels (snows) to newly purchased 17" wheels.
Was thinking the wider 235 (vs. 225) would provide a bigger contact patch and thus better cornering, and curious about what others think of a wider tire as a worthwhile mod...
I think the wider tire may actually make for a more "mushy" steer response but I'm no tech or professional, just thinking about how the sidewall and tire gives when cornering. If you want better handling without touching the suspension, get 18's.

https://youtu.be/mPyg3ilw3KU

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I think the wider tire may actually make for a more "mushy" steer response but I'm no tech or professional, just thinking about how the sidewall and tire gives when cornering. If you want better handling without touching the suspension, get 18's.

https://youtu.be/mPyg3ilw3KU
The sidewall height contributes to "mushiness". Those ultra flat wide tires you see on Impalas and Monte Carlos have essentially no side roll at all, BUT also no forgiveness on bumps, potholes. Harsh ride. A set of large diameter wheels and low profile tires is spendy, and usually not so good in conditions where the pavement isn't dry!

Lots of cars are shipping with lower profile tires these days. 45s, 55s are pretty common now. They are more nimble in the turns (more precise feel), but they rely on the suspension more for absorbing shock.

I had a 2015 Passat with 235/45-18s on nice 18" wheels. THe suspension did OK with them, not too harsh. There is a 19" stock wheel option on the Passat (it is a 40 series tire!). Yes, the steering was tight and responsive on my 18" optioned Passat, but it was not a TDI. I had 205/55-16s on my 2014 TDI (before it was totaled). Optional stock tires for the 2014 Sportwagen were 225/45-17 and 225/40-18. I imagine the 17s are a nice setup.