Who's keeping, who's selling?

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Just like the title says, wondering who is taking the buy back (if so, what are you going to replace the car with), and who is going to keep their MK7?

Personally, undecided.
Cheers

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
Just like the title says, wondering who is taking the buy back (if so, what are you going to replace the car with), and who is going to keep their MK7?

Personally, undecided.
Cheers
Leaning toards keeping, but it depends on what the "fix" is and what the first fixers report as to power and mileage. I don;t expect to have the data until at least next January.
52k on my 2015 Golf SE this week

Howard

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
I will never get this deal again so I am definitely getting rid of mine. I got an amazing deal on a 2016 Dodge Journey. So I'll be picking that up towards the end of the year.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Selling back, hate the DSG. Buying Focus ST or Fiesta ST

Well I hope you are getting a Focus or Fiesta that has a 3rd pedal, because not only is Ford's DSG-type transmission FAR worse to drive than anything in the VAG lineup, they are about 1000 times more likely to break, LMAO.

We get those things in here all the time with transmission problems. Getrag box with a Continental control unit (so German, but apparently all the good German automated manual gearbox folks work at VAG). We service a fleet of Focuses for a medical courier company, I think over half of them have had their transmissions worked on before they hit 100k miles. And they still suck to drive. They had software updates for them weekly. :rolleyes:

Of course, that has nothing to do with the chronic grill shutter problems, HVAC problems, and random door lock problems the Focus has either.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I will be keeping my 09 JSW 37k miles because I love it and the deal makes no sense to me in my circumstance . Others may have deals that fit their car condition. Each case is different..I can't get another TDI I will hang on to mine.

Hvacrmike70

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG
Well I hope you are getting a Focus or Fiesta that has a 3rd pedal, because not only is Ford's DSG-type transmission FAR worse to drive than anything in the VAG lineup, they are about 1000 times more likely to break, LMAO.
We get those things in here all the time with transmission problems. Getrag box with a Continental control unit (so German, but apparently all the good German automated manual gearbox folks work at VAG). We service a fleet of Focuses for a medical courier company, I think over half of them have had their transmissions worked on before they hit 100k miles. And they still suck to drive. They had software updates for them weekly. :rolleyes:
Of course, that has nothing to do with the chronic grill shutter problems, HVAC problems, and random door lock problems the Focus has either.
Focus ST and Fiesta ST only come in manuals. The problem with my DSG is that if you don't come to a complete stop, like speed bumps and intersections. It is totally confused as to what gear to select after taking your foot of the brake. Manual mode is the only way to stop this on mine. I will say highway cruising is fine and coming off a stop is a great experience, but in Phoenix they love speed bumps in neighborhoods. I wouldn't even care about diesel gate if I had got a manual, I would probably keep the car forever.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Most simply, it seems it comes down to the value VW is going to give us (not quite certain for Mk7's yet), vs. what we guess the car might be worth in the market after the fix.

The latter value is pretty tough to predict, therefore I'm leaning toward the certainty of selling back. I'll probably wait until well into 2017 though, to see if any information comes back on the fix, and also because the value VW will give you for the buyback won't change if you keep driving the car for a year, unless you are driving significantly more than 12,500 miles per year, in which case your buyback value will be in decline the longer you wait.

I'm putting a manual GTI at the top of my potential replacement list. Not because I dislike the DSG (I like it, in fact), but because my commute has gotten drastically less traffic-y than when I bought the TDI in 2014.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
Way too early to tell what the 'FIX' will result in, but given our 15 years experience with Golf TDI's and what our current 2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed is delivering, VW would have to really screw-up a 'FIX' for us to ever consider getting rid of our 2015 TDI. It is simply a great car and one that we hope to keep... as are our others, most certainly our 2015 'R'.
-Rod

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Selling both back which was not my plan prior to the initial offer. Love the TDI but the tentative value for my 2015 is over $2000 more then I paid for the vehicle...and I put almost 30k on it since May 2015.

I recently purchased a GTI, 6spd and have since parked the 2015. We will continue to drive the 2013 till we decide on what we can replace it with.

TDI WNY

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
I don't know what I will do but I appreciate all of the comments here. These comments will help me decide. I will get back just about all of what I paid for the car including sales tax except for about $500. The gas 2016 GSW SE version drives about the same and I am considering that as a replacement. I'd be curious to know what oilhammer thinks about the gas version GSW.

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
I am leaning towards selling it back at this point. I really like the car, but the offer will be more than I paid and I don't want to risk losing money on this deal waiting for a fix that may never happen. I usually only keep my cars 2-4 years anyways so it's probably a smarter move for someone like me. It's a shame though, the car is exactly what I was looking for, fun to drive and incredible gas mileage. It's also been trouble free for 20k miles. I will probably replace it with a CPO 328 wagon gas or diesel or maybe an x1. I might give VW a chance to keep my business but I would need a significant discount on a Golf R, or maybe a Touareg TDI to stay.

AlexNJ

TDI
MK7 2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG (sold back to VW 12/2016)
I love my 2015 TDI but my commute has gotten a lot shorter, about four miles to work now, than it was when I bought it in the fall of 2014. At the time, I was on the fence between the TDI and the GTI and with a shorter commute now, maybe selling it back will be an opportunity to get into a car that makes more sense now that fuel economy isn't as much an issue.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Keeping it, and if VW pays me to fix it I will use the money to finish converting my BayWindow bus into a TDI.. so I will return another polluting diesel into the world to offset one of you guys giving yours back.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Interesting thoughts by all. It's really an unprecedented (that i'm aware of) situation for us consumers, with no real applicable conventional wisdom.

I'm hopeful that in this Mk7 Sub-Forum we can get a tractable thread going to discuss the fix, as that will be the key factor in decision making for many of us. Key feature of that thread being...tractable.

eav

TDI
Jetta, 2015 Sportwagen
Keeping it, 2015 Sportwagen loaded. I installed sound deadening, and tinted windows; I'd only return it if I can get the value of my upgrades back as well. Besides I love the car, though I admit I'm really upset with VW for lying to us. Not likely to ever buy another VW unless they do something incredible for us.

At minimum they should fix the car with no loss of power or mileage and reduce emissions enough that they begin to make up for amount of illegal emissions they created.

Actually I'd be willing to pay an extra $3000 to get an electric bi-turbo retrofit with at least 220 hp and much more torque, that still meets emissions, and mpg.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
One '15 Golf SEL and '15 GSW SE both with lighting package here. Going to get the "fix" and take the compensation on the GSW for sure. We love the car.

My Golf however was purchased used in January (the previous owner traded before the goodwill package announcement as well), and the buyback amount would be even more than the compensation amount based on what is owed, BUT...I have read somewhere about having to split compensation with the first owner?? If that is true, I may just opt to keep it. I will have put 40k miles on it this year, so likely will have 60k on the odometer at year's end.

I have a tune and exhaust work into it, and had planned on some other fun upgrades early next year. Plus the thought of reinstalling the stock parts just to have VW simply install a post-catalyst NOx sensor sounds like pure torture.

Still have plenty of time to think and research the situation for my Golf, but it's a no-brainer for the GSW.

gnuworldorder

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
im going to sell back my SE with sound and lighting package because i will almost get back what i paid. if someone hits me, ill get ~19k which is just over what i have left to pay on it. not worth the risk

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I plan on keeping, I really could careless about the emission scandal. I'm going to get it tuned after the warranty is over anyhow. The only real complainant I have is the nannyware for the torque management.

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
I'm on the fence with my 2015 Golf SE, but I'm leaning towards taking the buy-back. I paid just a hair under $30,000, including taxes, title, etc., and the proposal says I'd get about $27,000 back, which will more-or-less cover the Toyota Prius or Ford C-Max I'd most likely get as a replacement. (Maybe the Hyundai Ioniq, but it's "vaporware" as of now, and given the timing, I'd be getting one of the first ones to roll off the assembly line, which makes me nervous.)

As with others, concern about the effects on fuel economy, performance, reliability, and resale value dominate my thinking. Also, although my commute is no shorter than it was when I bought the car, I commute fewer days on average today than I did two years ago. (I can work at home most days.) I may be moving closer to Boston in a year or two, which will make a hybrid more worthwhile than a diesel, so if I stick with the TDI, I'll likely be wanting to sell it in a couple of years.

The pro-keep-it argument, of course, is that having $7,000 in cold hard cash is better than getting a slightly newer car, especially if I'll be wanting to buy a new house in the not-so-distant future. Also, aside from my outrage over the pollution, I do like the Golf.

Decisions, decisions....

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I didn't think I did, until I watched that Weird AL video. LoL

Scottie-GNZ

TDI
2015 Golf
......I paid just a hair under $30,000, including taxes, title, etc., and the proposal says I'd get about $27,000 back........
The pro-keep-it argument, of course, is that having $7,000 in cold hard cash......
Is there a link to "the proposal" you mentioned?

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
Is there a link to "the proposal" you mentioned?
See here for the broad outline and links to more specific court documents. There are also two or three mega-threads on this site that pick everything apart in detail (with the usual verbose digressions, misinterpretations, etc.).

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
2015 Golf SE with roughly 33k miles. Paid around 28k with everything and the numbers say they'll buy back at 26k. With 18k still on my loan I'd be losing out of money. Can't afford that at the moment. I feel VW is basically forcing me to take a "fix" unless something changes when they make their official statement.

CV-GSW

TDI
2015 GSW TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI. Paid $31,500 plus tax and extended warranty (Canadian)

My plan is to test drive a "fixed" Golf Sportwagen (same car as mine) and see how the performance and consumption has changed.

Another factor for me personally is resale value.

Also, I briefly spoke to the finance manager at my local dealership and he said VW "should" also refund customers for any extended warranties they purchased.

As of now I'm still 50/50 on keeping or selling

Runnerguy45

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Black JSW, 2015 Golf
Not sure. But I will look to this forum to help me make a decision. I have 2011 Sportwagen with 263,000 miles and a 2015 Golf four door with 30,000 miles. Depends on how much I guess. Both are paid for and run fine. (Knock on wood)

tkdcmpedude

TDI
2015 Golf S
I am personally going to peruse the buyback option with living in California. My concern is the ability to register the car over time. Plus given what they are willing to offer I feel is fair. The variable our family has yet to figure out yet is what car will be the replacement.