Need advice on used Tiguans

nitrocharger

TDI
14 Q7
Wife needs a new car soon and she wanted a full size SUV :eek:

Not going to happen. I explained to her that the price of her car will not exceed her annual salary.

I travel a lot for work and in doing so rent a lot of cars. I've always been more impressed with the fit and finish of VW over the other junk they make these days. I'm looking for a used car a few model years old and was wondering if anybody owns one and could share their experience and maybe any common problems to watch out for?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Pm r90sKirk for his take on a Tiguan. He had one while was picking up Stella from a timing belt. I seem to remember him telling me that the cam is NOT replaceable, you have to buy a complete head (forget which engine.) I also seem to remember him saying something about the water pump and balance shaft module being a poor design. PM him and he will explain it more in depth.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
I own a 2012 Tiguan SE 4Motion. What precisely would you like to know?

I could not recommend a used Tiguan although I haven't had too many issues myself. I suggest you go to VW VORTEX and browse their forums.

Common things to look for are:
1) Timing chain tensioners giving up on 2009-2012 models. Same issue as on the GTI and CC. Should have the new part number on 2013-current.
2) HPFPs all years and models.
3) Water pumps all years and models.
4) Intake flaps.
5) Fuse box failure (2009-2011) was recall issue and dealer will fix free of charge.
6) Transmission programing on 2012 models. A TSB with a software update is available.
7) Vehicle shuts off with or without a DTC at low throttle. Some were addressed by HPFP or lift pump replacement. Others were resolved by a TSB to update the PCM. This problem I experienced myself. Make sure you get the update or the car could shut off when you're about to pull out in front of someone.

If you are dead set on a Tiguan, look at 2013 or newer models.

Last edited:

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
Fuel economy is worse in class and it uses premium fuel. My wife also wants one and I said no way until I see one with a TDI badge on it.