Injection pump seized?

merkin

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Passat TDI Wagon
Rebuild top end, after putting everything back together as per bently, and timing belt procedure here. I was unable to turn engine over manually. Seemed like the tb was getting stopped at the injector pump. Is it possible for this to seize? 2000 Jetta TDI. Thanks for any info. :confused:

I removed the tb turned the crankshaft back 90 degrees from tdc and was able to turn camshaft.

Last edited:

merkin

TDI
TDIJetta99 said:
did you try to turn the IP when you had the belt off?
did not as was not sure if that would mess it up more. I will go and give it a try.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
It should turn with a 22mm(7/8") wrench... Just make sure you take the locking pin out... If you find yourself having a little trouble getting the locking pin back in, take the IP gear right off, then you'll see the notch clear as day...

merkin

TDI
TDIJetta99 said:
It should turn with a 22mm(7/8") wrench... Just make sure you take the locking pin out... If you find yourself having a little trouble getting the locking pin back in, take the IP gear right off, then you'll see the notch clear as day...
Turns with a 22mm with sprocket off; makes quick turns doesn't spin freely. Shoudl I reassemble and try again?

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
That sounds fine, it should go all the way around though.. The tough spots are right about where it fires the injectors..

I would try setting it all up again... cam gear loose, lock plate on, pin in IP, flywheel mark ligned up... put tension on belt, check flywheel mark, torque cam gear, tighten the 3 bolts on the IP gear enough so that it won't slip, remove lock pin, remove lock plate from cam, try to turn engine via the crank sprocket on the bottom... You can take the glowplugs out if you want, it will turn MUCH easier.. Make sure it'll turn at least 2 times around by hand.. After you turn it a few times, line the cam up so that the lock plate will slide back in and check your flywheel mark, the cam lock plate should slide in and out easily with the flywheel mark ligned up... If all is well, re-assemble and fire it up...

merkin

TDI
TDIJetta99 said:
That sounds fine, it should go all the way around though.. The tough spots are right about where it fires the injectors..

I would try setting it all up again... cam gear loose, lock plate on, pin in IP, flywheel mark ligned up... put tension on belt, check flywheel mark, torque cam gear, tighten the 3 bolts on the IP gear enough so that it won't slip, remove lock pin, remove lock plate from cam, try to turn engine via the crank sprocket on the bottom... You can take the glowplugs out if you want, it will turn MUCH easier.. Make sure it'll turn at least 2 times around by hand.. After you turn it a few times, line the cam up so that the lock plate will slide back in and check your flywheel mark, the cam lock plate should slide in and out easily with the flywheel mark ligned up... If all is well, re-assemble and fire it up...
Thanks, I will give it a go. The pump does go all the way around. Here we go once again, it has been a stressfull time......

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
Make sure that no coolant or oil creeped out of the block and into a cylinder.

This can happen if you change the angle of the car before you bolt the head down.

If some liquid did make it into the cylinders, it will lock the motor and prevent it from turning over.

Perhaps remove the glow plugs and see if it turns.

Eck

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI 2003 reflex silver 2dr, 5 speed
This might be a silly comment but did you leave the car in gear?
Do you have the cam plate locked in the right position with the cam lobes up on the first cylinder?
Is the flywheel really at the correct mark? Don't mistake any marks from the clutch pressure plate. There is a straight, very thin line on the fly wheel. It's kind of hard to see. Use a good bright light to adjust it right.
Good luck.

merkin

TDI
Got it working, had an lower injection pump bolt loose and sticking out rubbing against the pulley. I know my bad; should have checked better. thought I had. It is a go now thanks again will post more later.