Boom! And just like that, I own a classic...

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
No more diesels in the US - VW (Reuters)

I am so glad that I bought a used golf TDI SEL in March when there were still some to buy. I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. EA288- the last of the VW diesels.

No, I'm not turning my car in to be fixed, nor am I trading it in. Im going to just keep driving it.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Enjoy your diesel while you can. It's likely they'll be phased out in the not too distant future. We'll all be driving electric sooner or later.

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Saw this coming almost a year ago. Lets walk through the grieving process together; Shock-disbelief-anger-sadness- ...surrender. I'm guessing this mandate will reach across all the VAG groups (except commercial trucks) including Audi and Porsche TDI's.

Ironically, I think they'll bring them back within a couple years by wide spread public demand, especially after American car buyers realize it was mostly hype & politics and there simply is nothing remotely comparable offered by the competition;
1) Top fuel efficiency (50+mpg).
2) Prodigious torque.
3) Long drivetrain life.
4) Bulletproof reliability.
5) Relative simplicity (drivetrain sensors/electronics).
6) Sport options (18" wheels, HID, handling pkg, nav, 6 sp etc.)
7) A clutch pedal.
8) Sheer fun factor.

EV's just are not there yet in terms of ALL (8) above AND battery life/range or affordability on top of that. Based on the past and current rate of development/progress/breakthroughs, I simply don't see it happening for at least a few more years for EV's.

Its truly a shame. American car buyers were just waking up and TDI vehicles were gaining large market share and popularity at an unprecedented rate ...helped in no small part by mass mktg campaigns and numerous TDI successes in world racing circuits... right up until last Sept. The kicker is, the 2.0 and 3.0 TDI powertrains are capable of meeting the EPA's demands with just a few tweaks - more proof this move is strictly knee-jerk reaction PR & politics, which does not represent or meet the needs/desires of the American car buyer whatsoever. Ugh.

The good news is, you can still get your turbo-diesel fix over at your local MB, BMW or 3/4T truck dealership ..for now.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
That's just for VW...does not mean no more diesels in the US.

2018 GM is launching Cruze, Equinox, plus its small trucks (though not really small).

I wouldn't say it is dead in the US....it maybe dead for VW

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Ironically, I think they'll bring them back within a couple years by wide spread public demand
Doubtful; public demand was never that large to begin with. The general public couldn't care less if diesel offers better power with fuel efficiency; they want an appliance to go from A to B.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Your location says "cold white north." Do you mean Canada?

So really, you're keeping it anyway. There's no buy-back up here.

Good for you. The 2015 is a great car. We're not ditching it either (not that it is an option in Canada anyway).

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
That's just for VW...does not mean no more diesels in the US.

2018 GM is launching Cruze, Equinox, plus its small trucks (though not really small).

I wouldn't say it is dead in the US....it maybe dead for VW
Mercedes Benz dealer recently told me the E class Bluetec Diesels are being dropped for US delivery. No great loss IMO, as they were too damn expensive.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Doubtful; public demand was never that large to begin with. The general public couldn't care less if diesel offers better power with fuel efficiency; they want an appliance to go from A to B.
The article claims diesel was a quarter of VW's sales. Not sure if that's specific to the North American markets, but that's a very large chunk to just toss out the window.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Your location says "cold white north." Do you mean Canada?

So really, you're keeping it anyway. There's no buy-back up here.

Good for you. The 2015 is a great car. We're not ditching it either (not that it is an option in Canada anyway).
Actually I'm in Michigan- but it feels like Canada in the winter....Luckily Michigan does not require emission verification.

Nice to hear that someone else is also sticking with the EA288 MK7! Listening to so many go on about the buyback, it seems that the TDI gang will become significantly more exclusive.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
The article claims diesel was a quarter of VW's sales. Not sure if that's specific to the North American markets, but that's a very large chunk to just toss out the window.
Yep; it is pretty accurate. But in that same time frame hybrid and EV sales blew diesel sales away. If VW dumps diesels in the US, and instead focuses on the EV market, they'll likely lose very little market share overall (after the rebound from dieselgate).

My point was simply that diesel sales in general in the US are not a big market, not specifically VW sales. ;)

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
No. Not all of us
And from some of us: They can have my TDIs when they can pry them from my cold, dead hands.

My B4V is young yet. My ALH NB & BRM A5 are even younger & the GSW just hit 1K miles. They should see me through to the future when at which time there will probably be for senior citizens self driving golf cars that can remember where I need to go.

The TDI's will be my kid's inheritance & heir looms. It would not be proper to sell or trade them in.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
VW killed North American diesel and stuck a fork in it, at least as far as VW is concerned. It was an astonishing display of self distruction.

If you own one, it is now officially heading for unicornhood:rolleyes:

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
This is all by design. That's the purpose of the NSA is to dig up this type of dirt on everyone and then selectively go after specific people or companies for political or monetary gains.

Diesels were starting to get popular in the U.S. and they couldn't have any competition to their darling electric cars which they want everyone eventually driving. As part of Agenda 21 the elite want the vast majority of people living in high density city centers and not leaving the city boundaries to go into the wilderness. Electric cars accomplish this with their crappy range. Plus if you owe any taxes or the government doesn't like that you said something bad on Facebook about one of their policies-- guess what? your car doesn't start or is limited to take you from your home to your place of work and no where else.

Allowing individuals to drive anywhere in the country in their diesels was a threat to this goal. So they had to take VW down as they were #1 in diesel sales and their cars were only getting better and better.

Even after this ridiculous dieselgate situation the fix increased HP and Torque by 5%.

1984 is here. It's been a fun ride while it lasted and I'd say we still have another 20 years before diesels are truly gone and this site will be like those Commodore 64 sites where the last few of us will be the lone voices in the wilderness that knew of a time when cars were exciting and you could go anywhere you wanted in the country without permission from the government.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
And from some of us: They can have my TDIs when they can pry them from my cold, dead hands.
The TDI's will be my kid's inheritance & heir looms. It would not be proper to sell or trade them in.
Man some of you guys here have some really weird thoughts!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
...and that "Mars Research Station"???

Don't fall for it. It is actually in Southern Utah.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This is all by design. That's the purpose of the NSA is to dig up this type of dirt on everyone and then selectively go after specific people or companies for political or monetary gains.
Diesels were starting to get popular in the U.S. and they couldn't have any competition to their darling electric cars which they want everyone eventually driving. As part of Agenda 21 the elite want the vast majority of people living in high density city centers and not leaving the city boundaries to go into the wilderness. Electric cars accomplish this with their crappy range. Plus if you owe any taxes or the government doesn't like that you said something bad on Facebook about one of their policies-- guess what? your car doesn't start or is limited to take you from your home to your place of work and no where else.
Allowing individuals to drive anywhere in the country in their diesels was a threat to this goal. So they had to take VW down as they were #1 in diesel sales and their cars were only getting better and better.
Even after this ridiculous dieselgate situation the fix increased HP and Torque by 5%.
1984 is here. It's been a fun ride while it lasted and I'd say we still have another 20 years before diesels are truly gone and this site will be like those Commodore 64 sites where the last few of us will be the lone voices in the wilderness that knew of a time when cars were exciting and you could go anywhere you wanted in the country without permission from the government.
My favorite part is where "the elite" want us all to be driving electric cars. Just one: Mr. Musk; the rest are firmly in the fossil fuel camp.

If your paranoia extends to vehicle telematics in general, which seems to be the case since you reference the government remotely shutting off your vehicle if you don't pay taxes, ANY new car falls into that category, regardless of propulsion type.

Your tinfoil hat needs some adjustments.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Also, today, the government could pass a law stating that cars cannot drive more than 25 miles from a city center, and that would pass constitutional muster. They don't need to convert everyone to short-range EVs to do that. (They cannot prohibit walking or cycling to a given destination, although they can prohibit using certain roadways for it unless there's no reasonable alternative, which is why California and Oregon have some interstates with bicycles explicitly allowed on the shoulder - no reasonable alternative route.)

And, if your goal is to evade government travel bans, an EV is more capable of doing this. A modern diesel is wholly dependent on commercial fueling stations when traveling (don't say WVO, it'll wreck your fuel system on a CR TDI in short order, and you're not exactly going to be making biodiesel on the go), whereas an EV driver can pull over, unfold some solar panels, and run them through an inverter to feed their car's J1772 input.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
... And, if your goal is to evade government travel bans, an EV is more capable of doing this. A modern diesel is wholly dependent on commercial fueling stations when traveling... .
Technology has to move pretty darn far and quickly for OTR trucks & HD trucks to go the EV route. Until then, I suspect there will be more then enough D2 available.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
If the government decided that nobody could drive farther than 25 miles from a city center then they could just shut down a whole lot of the west and turn it into a nature park which is what some would like to do now. There are places where an EV''s 200 mile or so range would mean that they'd have to install charging stations in every wide spot in the road.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
If the government decided that nobody could drive farther than 25 miles from a city center then they could just shut down a whole lot of the west and turn it into a nature park which is what some would like to do now. There are places where an EV''s 200 mile or so range would mean that they'd have to install charging stations in every wide spot in the road.
Or, perhaps, they could install electric cables overhead & tracks in the roads for EV cars to get their power. Weren't those things called street cars?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Also, today, the government could pass a law stating that cars cannot drive more than 25 miles from a city center, and that would pass constitutional muster.

....snip......

IMO not

However, back during WW2 folks were limited to a small ration of gasoline. Any not everyone got the ration.

On top of that, new car production for the general public, was 'bout zippo.

Pop had a 1938 (Black) Ford come 1941. No new car for us until 1948 (Black) Ford. Very low inventory on new cars. Paying full bore MSRP was common

Last edited:

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
My favorite part is where "the elite" want us all to be driving electric cars. Just one: Mr. Musk; the rest are firmly in the fossil fuel camp.
If your paranoia extends to vehicle telematics in general, which seems to be the case since you reference the government remotely shutting off your vehicle if you don't pay taxes, ANY new car falls into that category, regardless of propulsion type.
Your tinfoil hat needs some adjustments.
Yeah I've run into countless government propaganda repeating coincidence theorists like yourself over the years. They all made fun of me when I said the NSA was recording billions of phone calls a year and trillions of emails. After the Snowden revelations these tv watching-sports fans were no where to be found.

Maybe everything you are taught isn't the truth? Maybe spend 10 minutes looking into what Agenda 21 is. Or just go back to sleep.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you will be able to find diesel while crossing the country for decades. Could get expensive, but will be available. Not sure where this conversation is going, but Agenda 21 is geared towards a sustainable future, not a conspiracy to suppress travel.:rolleyes:

Not sleeping, me.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
IMO

Diesel (and gassers) are the future.

Range is something EVs will not achieve
That is literally impossible. Fossil fuels have a finite lifespan (current industry estimates are ~54 years); when they are gone IC engines are gone with them.

Even if those estimates are hopelessly conservative and we have, say 100 years of oil remaining... Then IC engines have a lifespan at best of 100 years... ;)

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
That is literally impossible. Fossil fuels have a finite lifespan (current industry estimates are ~54 years); when they are gone IC engines are gone with them.

Even if those estimates are hopelessly conservative and we have, say 100 years of oil remaining... Then IC engines have a lifespan at best of 100 years... ;)
Much changes in 54 to 100 years. Consider Moore's Law, technological advancement in 5, 10, 20 years. Much will change. http://theemergingfuture.com/speed-technological-advancement.htm

But then again, mankind may just knock itself back to the stone age.:eek:

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Much will change, you are totally correct. One of those changes will be the "loss" of the internal combustion engine... ;)