www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 18th, 2017, 16:10   #16
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG on the Jetta

No! On the outlet side of the expansion valve, inside, there is a screw-down "inside" nut with an Allen head fitting. It can be screwed up or down. It applies pressure to a spring which sits on an orifice with three long tiny stainless steel rods. If you crank it down the orifice opening becomes smaller and smaller. When cleaning it, I counted the number of turns on the nut to determine where to put it back (that was almost two weeks ago). Before the high pressure hose burst, it cooled about as good as it ever has...... and the ambient temp was pushing 100f.

The screen is pre-orifice...... Thus, if the screen gets plugged, no cooling at all. In fact, the high side pressure goes way up and the low side can actually show a vacuum, depending on how tight the screen is plugged ......... been there and seen that many times with all my Vans, Rabbits, etc.

Okay, I've flushed everything. The condenser was really loaded with crud. I ran three canisters of Mineral Spirits through it. Then, I followed with the diluted Acetone/Mineral Spirit (filtered) mix that I caught from flushing the other components.... three passes of that stuff. Then, I flushed with three canisters (over a quart each) of straight Acetone. The last one come out almost clear.

So, I'm satisfied everything is flushed thoroughly.
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 71k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 200kk miles.

Last edited by AndyBees; July 18th, 2017 at 16:12.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 20:56   #17
03TDICommuter
Veteran Member

Sorry for not knowing - what construction style is the condenser? I hear that parallel flow is impossible to flush. You might have to replace it.
Old July 19th, 2017, 07:18   #18
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Being that the van was originally R12, I imagine it is a "standard" tube and fin condenser - and possible to clean out.

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 07:41   #19
jmodge

Andy, check the manual for procedure for setting MOP, Max Operating Pressure
Old July 19th, 2017, 10:22   #20
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Yeah, Compu_85, it has an OE Vanagon system ....... all fairly large tubes in both the condenser and the evaporator!

Jmodge, back in May when I splice-patched and charged-up the system, I actually put in two cans of R-134a which soared the pressure near 225 psi on the high side at 85f ambient with a box fan blowing on the condenser. That's far more than I've put in it in the past, generally about 1.75 cans. So, I guess that, in part, is why the splice blew out.

The hose blew at a rest stop south of Indianapolis. We left the Van running while stopped. The ambient temp must have been pushing 100f. So, I suspect the pressure really soared those few minutes we were there.

Considering the hoses are 33 years old, they've done pretty good. However, I should have addressed the AC stuff long ago!
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 71k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 200kk miles.
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:44   #21
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Besides replacing the AC hoses on my Vanagon, I'm also replacing the fabricated adaptors on the Compressor.

In the pic below, on the right are the fabbed adaptors. I cut the thread part off the OE Vanagon Compressor and had them welded to the OE adaptors on the Sanden Compressor that come on the ALH engine. The two metals are not compatible and the welds left "craters" that were prone to leak refrigerant. On the work bench, I vacuumed JB Weld into the craters. That worked okay.

The OE hose is AN #10 but has #12 fittings. The new hose is #10 with #10 fittings on the suction side and #8 on the pressure side.

Below, is the Expansion Valve partially disassembled. You can see the end of the Allen wrench to the far right next to the internal nut that screws down on the spring. As I mentioned in a previous post, it is my understanding that the Valve can be adjusted based on the pressure put on the spring (Example, number of turns off the bottom or number of turns down from the top). I plan to leave it as is. The valve is R-134a compatible. (The cone shaped screen can be seen below the capillary tube.)

Old July 20th, 2017, 13:39   #22
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

When I had one of my old Toyota's with a similar problem, I installed one of these:

http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...69_17299_10460

It eventually caught all the crap, just had to R&R and clean it out once in a while, but the frequency got less and less.

Don't worry about hose deterioration with R134a, the type Volkswagen used seem to hold up fine. I've converted every R12 Volkswagen I ever owned after about 1995 to R134a. Heck, my 1991 Jetta has been R134a longer than it was R12. Of course, your van is older, so maybe they did not use the barrier type back then, not sure. I converted my '87 Vanagons (2 of them) and never had any issues during the time I owned them.

Volkswagen (as well as others) had nice retrofit guides back in the '90s, with items they wanted changed for the best operation. Some were more involved than others.