www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 18th, 2017, 23:41   #6496
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Yes, I used the same gauge on my Rover pump as I used on my old 1.6. The threaded adapter was different though - larger pump plunger = larger adapter.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old July 19th, 2017, 17:09   #6497
turbodieseldyke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta
Fuel Economy: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
Why convert from E to M?
I think most of the interest is for EMPs and SHTF. Though there could might maybe possibly be a downside to having the only working car during the apocalypse.
turbodieseldyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 18:38   #6498
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchupshirt88 View Post
Besides that, I have no interest in dealing with a tuner after my last experience. Suffice it to say that communication was inadequate, I didn't get what I paid for and I eventually stopped trying to get it.
Sucks, but I have a feeling most tuners are just enthusiasts, who have normal day jobs.

I'm guessing you'll lose the speedo, cruise and some other cluster functions if the ECU isn't seeing the E IP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbcguy View Post
Yes, I used the same gauge on my Rover pump as I used on my old 1.6. The threaded adapter was different though - larger pump plunger = larger adapter.
I was looking at my Landy pump. I was just thinking find a correct brake fitting and tap the hole to the gauge holder's threads.

I ended up buying a Mantra holder for about $20, which isn't bad considering it shipped from Snap-On. The site I ordered it from, didn't mention Snap-On.

The junk ebay holder was a pain to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseldyke View Post
I think most of the interest is for EMPs and SHTF. Though there could might maybe possibly be a downside to having the only working car during the apocalypse.
My AAZ Rabbit will be one of them.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 23:56   #6499
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Cruise and the tach will be gone without the ECU, the rest of the gauges and the speedo will keep working fine though. The ECU can be left in place without the electronic pump, that'll keep the tach working.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old July 20th, 2017, 04:35   #6500
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk2's about 48mpg, mk3 ~43mpg thats @(near)80mph(-/+).

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseldyke View Post
there could might maybe possibly
haha, yea but its supposed to work. and may be the only thing to work, until,,shortly, there is a fuel shortage. but it ll still be in running order on the bright side. if you can still see the sun that is.
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:53   #6501
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Had Matt Phelan take care of a couple of items on the B4V last Monday.

I had been chasing a low boost issue for a while. Matt found it and fixed it in an hour. The inlet hose to the intercooler had a crack in it. He used a radiator hose to fabricate the replacement boost hose. Also solved a small fuel leak to the injectors and reseated all the injectors. (I caused the leak trying to reseat the injecters without the proper tool). Lastly, he cleaned, lubed and adjusted the lock on the rear hatch. Total repair time was two and a half hours.

Now I can reinstall the plastic panel on the tailgate and replace the tailgate struts.

It was good to catch up with Matt again. Nice to have the car running well again.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote