Best Cargo Liner for 2015 Golf

jones2289

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I picked up my 2015 Golf TDI SEL on Saturday, and love it so far (coming from a 2013 Jetta TDI).

One quick question - What's the best fitting all-weather (non-carpeted) liner for the cargo area in the back? I've seen references to the Muddy Buddy and the carpeted cargo mat from VW online, but have seen conflicting reports on how the aftermarket mats fit.

Does anyone have a good experience with one they'd be willing to recommend?

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I have and really like the Travall mat. It's rubber so it's reasonably grippy and things don't slide around.

Fit is perfect when the cargo floor is in the raised position. When in the lower position it just curls up at the front because it's a flexible rubber.

I highly recommend.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
We have the muddy buddy for the Alltrack, it's good but not great. The velco attachments for the back of the seat prob won't continue to grip after a few years. The fit is good enough, it took a while to lay flat, but doesn't cover anything for the side trays and looks like it can handle if the floor is in the lowered position thou I've never tried.

The price was right and its made by weathertech to match my floor mats.

I have heard of cavasall (i think thats the company) has great side protectors that covers where the muddybuddy leaves off.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
The Muddy Buddy is by WeatherTech and does not fit the Golf properly if you prefer to have the floor in the raised position (as in with a full-sized spare tire). I know you said non-carpeted, but compelled to point out that the "Heavy Duty Trunk Liner" is rubber-backed and waterproof. It fits perfectly in the lower position and only a minor fitment problem in the raised position. Did your car come with this mat?

I don't have a photo, but the raised position requires just a tiny bit of the front to be rolled in front of the floor panel. It's almost not even noticeable.

Scott

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
So far I've just been cheap and threw in the Weathertech one I had in my 2012 Golf. Yes, it doesn't fit quite perfect between the two model years but its still functional.

Just abit ill fitting as I expected it would be.

jones2289

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
The Muddy Buddy is by WeatherTech and does not fit the Golf properly if you prefer to have the floor in the raised position (as in with a full-sized spare tire). I know you said non-carpeted, but compelled to point out that the "Heavy Duty Trunk Liner" is rubber-backed and waterproof. It fits perfectly in the lower position and only a minor fitment problem in the raised position. Did your car come with this mat?

I don't have a photo, but the raised position requires just a tiny bit of the front to be rolled in front of the floor panel. It's almost not even noticeable.

Scott
Thanks, Scott.

I did not get the Heavy Duty Trunk Liner, but will have to check that out.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
It appears to be VW P/N: 5G0061166469. It comes with velcro cargo blocks, but I don't use them because they tear up the carpet pile over time. Google that P/N and use your vendor of choice. :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Scott

Have you tired flooding the seats backs flat with the floor in the lowered position? I valued the seat back protection of the muddy buddy, yes there is a a flap of excess material wit the floor raised, but once the seats are flat the that excess is taken up and you have complete coverage.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
I have not tried that. I passed on purchasing the WeatherTech mat based on the feedback I provided. I leave my trunk floor in the upper position full time due to my electronics panel (lower position is not an option for me). I'm assured that the WeatherTech/Muddy Buddy does not fit properly in this configuration. Just sharing what I've researched.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
I m cheap I went to the upick and pulled the heavy rubber floor out of a van for $10 trimmed to fit and use a small water bed bladder with the top cut out so the sides remain..el cheapo

tom61

TDI
2001 tdi beetle , 2015 TDI GSW DSG SE
I ordered the cargo liner from canvasback . Fits really well , goes up the back of the seats. The side covers are separate and cost extra but , they are worth it . I'm pleased with it . Check them out .

Viz

TDI
2001 & 2002 MKIV, 2015 MKVII
I ordered the cargo liner from canvasback . Fits really well , goes up the back of the seats. The side covers are separate and cost extra but , they are worth it . I'm pleased with it . Check them out .
+1 for Canvasback. No regrets on this purchase

Viz

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry for the grainy photos, this is the muddy buddy in the Alltrack with the floor in the raised position. The edge by the hatch still doesn't fully lay flat, if I bend it it stays flat for a little bit.

lawnarjax

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL, 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, 1994 Safari Trek (Isuzu 4BD2TC)
I reused(see stripped) the carpeted cargo cover from my 2010 JSW and then also reused a rubber Floor Armor diamond tread pattern cargo mat I got from Sams Club and put it over that. I am a weathertech fan, had them in my 2010's, but could not justify buying a new set when the dealer gave me a new set of monsters. I reserve the right to change my mind later.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
CC: How do you like your Canvasback?

OP: Did you make a decision?

I had been looking for a way to protect the sides of my cargo area from my bicycle chain when transporting inside. The Canvasback recommendation got my attention. I could have bought just the side skirts, but opted for the full package. I got everything installed yesterday and will take some photos when the creases are smoothed-out. I may even opt to put my VW mat back in place for extra protection. We'll see.

Scott

tom61

TDI
2001 tdi beetle , 2015 TDI GSW DSG SE
That is what I did , ( put the VW mat in on top of the Canvasback liner ) . Fits great , extra layer can't hurt .

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S

I had been looking for a way to protect the sides of my cargo area from my bicycle chain when transporting inside. The Canvasback recommendation got my attention. I could have bought just the side skirts, but opted for the full package. I got everything installed yesterday and will take some photos when the creases are smoothed-out. I may even opt to put my VW mat back in place for extra protection. We'll see.

Scott
Scott, if you are looking specifically to prevent chain grease from making a mess, I recommend getting this product called a chain condom. I bought one a few years ago and it works nicely.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the Chain Condom note. I saw this as the Chain Johnny, by White Lightning. I find it much easier to slide my bike in/out of the trunk when the crank is horizontal. The Johnny requires the crank to be vertical. I'm sure it's workable, but I think what I'm currently doing works well.

That said, I'm sure the Johnny is great when transporting a bike behind the car on a rainy day. I carry one bike inside, but carry bikes outside if I have two. Then again, the Johnny is just something else to clean. HAHA! :p

Scott

jones2289

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI

Scott
I'm leaning toward the Canvasback, but haven't pulled the trigger, yet.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
I think I'll have some good photos of my Canvasback to share tonight. I had good lighting this morning and took some shots. I'll process them when I get home this evening. :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
not bad, is it velcro holding the sides up, or does it just lay there?

Crosscountry

TDI
2011 TDI MT Sportwagen (gone 197,000km), 2015 Sportwagen TDI DSG (new)
I just installed my canvas back. The best I've had. All parts are held on by velcro.
They fit perfect and will protect the complete (fabric area) compartment from my drooling, hairy, wet golden retriever. He ruined my 2011TDI. But in the end it didn't matter (crushed).
I also installed the old protective cover over top of it (dog claws are sharp).
Slow delivery to Canada and I had to pay extra $16cdn customs duties.
Still worth it.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I had a WeatherTech liner in our Passat and it was very rugged. Just ordered one for the new Golf GSW from idParts and I'll let you know how the quality compares.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Where can I buy a rear bumper cover protector for my 2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen ?

Need something to protect it from dogs and junk being loaded in and out of the car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've heard ebay ones can be sourced and they are the same VW OEM made in germany plastic brushed silver ones, pretty cheap.

Viz

TDI
2001 & 2002 MKIV, 2015 MKVII
Where can I buy a rear bumper cover protector for my 2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen ?

Need something to protect it from dogs and junk being loaded in and out of the car.
The Canvasback liner has an optional bumper cover available in 3 different lengths. Not sure if you can just velcro that to the carpet with the Canvasback, but I think so. Get the whole package, you won't regret it especially with dogs.