Clunk in Front of Car When Starting and Stopping

DaveTC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I fixed my problem, but I just wanted to document what I found for anyone that is having the same problem. In the NMS forum, I was only able to find results for a clunk in the rear of the car.

For the last 5 weeks, I have had a clunking coming from the front left when starting and stopping the car at intersections. In addition, I would have some noise from when entering parking lots making a turn and going over a bump. Sometimes there was one clunk and sometimes there were two.

I took one look and did not see anything. Then, I found some threads more related to Golfs and Jettas. In that case, the subframe bolts were necked down and thought to have stretched to cause the fasteners to stretch. There are kits for these vehicles. I did not check, but I do not think that the Passat has these same necked down fasteners. However, the symptoms were similar.

The fasteners are 12mm fasteners with a torque rating of 70 Nm plus 180 degrees. So, I went around the subframe fasteners with a torque wrench set to 70 Nm and found one loose fastener. It was near the left control arm rear rubber bushing for me. I tightened it and the clunk is gone. The fasteners should be replaced if ever removed according to VW; I may or may not do that. I have to take it in for the DEF tank heater extended warranty and for a safety recall (23W5) related to a heat shield, so I may pick up a new fastener then.

As to the cause, it is hard to say. I could have come loose on its own, stretched, or it may not have been torqued properly if the subframe needs to be removed to work on replacing the turbo and DPF. I just know that all my problems have been shared by many, so there is probably someone else that is experiencing (or has experienced) the same thing. It was a nice and easy fix.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
How many miles on your car, when was the last time you had an alignment?

DaveTC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
How many miles on your car, when was the last time you had an alignment?
I have 55,000 miles on the car, so nothing extreme. I have never had an alignment done on the car. I am headed out to my truck with 155000 miles on it to check the tie rods and I would do the alignment after changing tie rods.