She ran away, now what..

willydiesel

TDI
2003 golf 2 door
So she ran away, let's put it this way, it was heinous, definately think something's eccentric, either the crank or the heads shot...

Is there anyone that rebuilds ALH's? I've decided I want to do a new project, I want to buy a mk iv jetta wagon and do the body conversion to a golf front end and possibly the r32 golf rear, I've seen it done before. But I have very little info on if anybody reputable rebuilds ALH 1.9 motors or what my options really are.. perhaps I should buy a running ALH pulled out of something

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i saw one in BC on facebook market place, $800 for a running ALH
there here and there, keep an eye out.
sorry for your loss. you could not get it into gearh heh?
IMO its worth tearing it down and specing (blueprinting) the crank and the head and block. could be ok, new bearings, maybe a regrind polish on the crank... who knows. its next to nothing to pull it apart though so....

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I do them, but only for myself
they're a very easy engine to learn on, give it a whack yourself. There's usually a lot of measurement implied, but lately I've been doing less and less.

heck, on the kubota I just rebuilt for my bobcat, it threw a rod through the block and I had to braze up the hole and get a new connecting rod, I don't recall measuring a single thing further than checking clearances by the tried and true "does it still turn over with reasonable force?"

will it still turn either direction with a breaker bar on the crank bolt? If not, might be as simple as pulling the crankshaft, using emory cloth to clean the bearing material off the mains, and reassembling with new bearing shells

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I think it's fairly well known, I've built an ALH or two...And a few more cylinder heads...Digitally ported, our own H-beam rod design, performance Diesel rings, etc.

What most often happens to a runaway is a rod or two gets bent. I'd start by looking at the engine you have. We are adept at matching rod weight and length, and piston weight, and it's always better than VW balances. The crank usually goes through the episode without damage, as long as you still had oil in the pan when the runaway quit, and even then, they aren't necessarily bad.

As for the head, it can't do a runaway if the valves aren't closing well. The head may be perfectly fine and might need only a refresh. $321...

Call me.

Frank

Last edited:

mendo011

TDI
Sportswagen
So she ran away, let's put it this way, it was heinous, definately think something's eccentric, either the crank or the heads shot...

Is there anyone that rebuilds ALH's? I've decided I want to do a new project, I want to buy a mk iv jetta wagon and do the body conversion to a golf front end and possibly the r32 golf rear, I've seen it done before. But I have very little info on if anybody reputable rebuilds ALH 1.9 motors or what my options really are.. perhaps I should buy a running ALH pulled out of something

How does that happen?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

willydiesel

TDI
2003 golf 2 door
when you neglect a turbo rebuild/replacement on an otherwise decently tuned and running 1.9 ALH. 351,000 miles, original turbo

Es posible que el turbo haya tenido fugas de aceite y haya causado que el motor queme el aceite como combustible

Last edited:

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
How does that happen?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Enough oil was introduced to the intake system from a usually blow turbo seal and the engine runs higher and higher in rmps with nothing controlling it. Either have to starve in the intake somehow or stall the car in high gear.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
nope, couldn't get her in gear in time

Nobody turns these things around? Curious what it would cost
I'll deliver a used ALH to you on Tuesday the 14th if you're interested. I have one strapped to a pallet ready to go. Came out of a car and was running when the car ('01 Jetta) was crashed. PM for details.

Cheers,

PH

Last edited:

Declan023

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI VNT 17, crappy 0.210 nozzles, Malone stage 4 tune, manual swap, 3 Bar map
I have an extra engine as well lol, I dont know what to do with it, no one around here wants it.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd say keep it just in case, unless you do find someone that needs it more than you do. I'd keep mine just in case, or for a future project, but an unforeseen financial disaster is forcing me to move, and I don't want to move it, need the $$. And a used engine is much cheaper than a rebuild.

Since everyone else seems to be ambivalent, I may just end up keeping the head and scrapping the block. We'll see.

Used engines seem to be something nobody is interested in, until someone really needs one yesterday.

Cheers,

PH

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'm all over piling up another engine's worth of parts, but when complete cars are in the $500 range, shipping an engine really isn't in the cards.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I have been quietly keeping an eye out for a deal so I could convert my 1.8T A/T.

I think it's like this for most people; you have an idea for a project, start looking for parts and stuff, but then other things are more important (like feeding and clothing the kids), and not enough time.

Plenty of people want those used ALH engines, but not many have the time or resources to pull the trigger.

Jason

BTW - I have a solid, rust free '02 Jetta with refurbished chassis and sketchy JATCO. Perfect for northerner with rusted shell and good engine. ;)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
True, unless circumstances don't allow an extra parts car to hang around.

Cheers,

PH
just recently finally got 40ac pinned down, so I'm regretting all the parts cars I hurriedly scrapped out in the past :p

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I must sell the house and move; I'm NOT dying!!

Even so, if I was dying, my wife, who will certainly out live me, would have to deal with it. She'd just end up scrapping everything. Probably something like I'm going to have to end up doing, but worse.

Cheers,

PH