2013 A3 CBEA engine stutter

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
So I recently picked up a 2013 A3 TDI. Occasionally, on cold starts, it will get a flat spot or stutter (I'm pretty sure always in 2nd gear) that goes away after a few seconds.

It doesn't happen all the time so I chalked it up to residual moisture in the intercooler/intake, but now that we're not in intercooler icing weather... I'm not so sure.

Some background, I have a 2014 sportwagen that had the same problem. The issue went away when the ECU was replaced under warranty (for a no start/hard start problem).

I finally caught a video of it the other morning leaving my house in the morning. I'll note that I had the accelerator pedal depressed the same amount throughout the video. You can hear the stutter in the engine up until about 2500 rpm when it smooths out and accelerates normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwdxSh5MnuE

Anyone have any thoughts?

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
So in conjunction with the occasional cold start acceleration stutter/flat spot, I occasionally get these odd fluctuations in the RPMs when cruising between 1200 and 2000rpm.

Here's a video I got of it happening today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9W3Jj3fnE0

it goes away when I accelerate or change gears.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
So I got a diagnosis from the dealership and Audi America (under warranty)

I highlighted their response. Apparently this is normal and due to the functioning of the exhaust flap underneath the car.

Wack.

Looks like I'll be voiding the warranty on this car sooner than planned as well. Like I said, I had the cold start stutter on my Sportwagen before the ECU was replaced under warranty but after that it went away. About 8 months later I did a full stage 2 delete on it.

AU_Bug

TDI
2014 Q7 TDI, 2011 A3 TDI
I was going to say this sounds like the EGR is giving issues. Probably partially clogged.

I just had my 2011 A3 go through full Rawtek "weight reduction", Malone Stage 2 and DSG tune.

I could not be happier

AU_Bug

TDI
2014 Q7 TDI, 2011 A3 TDI
Yea I just used my credit card rewards points to order a CR170...
NICE!!! You will have to let us know how the install goes and how you like it. I'm considering doing the same with my 2011.

Though, I've only got 75K on it with no issues.

Which tuning are you going to use?

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going with Malone stage 3.
I've got their stage 2 on my deleted sportwagen and it's amazing