F/S in Los Angeles, CA: MkIV 2003 Silver GLS Jetta Wagon 1.9L (ALH) TDI 130,855 Miles

gingfox

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
First, I know that during this current pandemic and the many shutdowns that it’s not a great time to be selling a car. Please just let me know if you might be interested. I’m sending everybody best wishes for health, compassion, healing, and peace. When you do venture outside, remember to feel the earth beneath your feet/wheels, see the trees, smell the flowers, and hear the birds singing.

Background Info:
  • Original Owner with all maintenance records
  • I’m not really a newbie, as my husband and I have been reading this forum for many years, but I couldn’t remember my original user name.
  • I love my TDI wagon and she’s kept me comfortable and safe for 17 years! I’m selling her because my husband and I are now over 60 and I don’t drive much anymore, we don’t do our own work on the car, and our long-time trusted German car mechanic recently retired and sold his shop. Also, we recently bought a Battery Electric Vehicle.
Specs:
  • MkIV 2003 Silver GLS Jetta Wagon 1.9L (ALH) TDI Automatic
  • 130,855 miles
  • GLS Package: leather seats and steering wheel; sunroof; manual heated seats; power windows & door locks; mud guards
  • Additions: front window rain/wind visors, heavy duty floor mats, cargo mat
  • Whale Tail personalized license plate
  • CA registration is paid through 1/26/2021 (still needs smog certification)
  • Regularly maintained (synthetic 5W40 oil + filters/fluids)
  • Been using Liqui-Moly Super fuel additive with fill-ups
The Facts:
My Jetta’s engine is in great condition but the vehicle has had ongoing issues with the glow plug light flashing for no clear reason. So, recently I replaced all four glow plugs and the diesel injection return hose/harness in order to clear the codes and complete the smog check, but one code still didn’t clear (P0673). The check engine light was not on but the glow plug light was still flashing. The mechanic advised me that I just needed to drive the car for awhile to clear the code before running the emissions test. I took her home for several days and she was running and driving beautifully! But, then the turbo blew on my way to work. :( I would repair and keep her for awhile longer, but I’ve already purchased a new BEV, as mentioned above. So, she currently needs:
  • New turbocharger + turbo mounting kit & turbo oil supply line
  • Expansion tank for the cooling system
  • Oil & filter change
  • Smog check
Asking Price Options (please see comments below from forum members NewTdi and trekker!)
1. $3,500 OBO as is
2. $6,500 OBO with a deposit of $2,500: I will have a brand new turbo installed plus the required maintenance and complete the smog check.

Maintenance:
130,743 miles (2/27/20)
4 new glow plugs and diesel injection return hose/harness

130,675 (2/24/20)
cooling hose flange and coolant

127,826 (9/21/19)
most recent routine oil/filters change; brake fluid flush
2 control arms & suspension kit
temperature sensor
brake & reverse lights

122,400 (12/12/18)
remanufactured alternator

118,019 (4/28/18)
2 front Ohtsu tires: 195/65R-15

112,288 (10/4/17)
4 fuel injector seals & holders

109,231 (5/4/17)
water pump and coolant

107,194 (2/10/17)
fuel hose assembly
turbo fuel supply and return line

100,633 (2/3/16)
rear brake pads

99,095 (11/3/15)
timing belt
R&R engine oil pan: replace oil dipstick tube & sealant
fuel injection pump
fuel injector seals, fuel return hose
4 fuel injector nozzles
Crankshaft seals
intake manifold, EGR valve, gaskets & coolant
boost pressure valve

98,479 (8/21/15)
Serpentine drive belt and belt tensioner

92,547 (8/29/14)
front brake pads and rotors
front caliper threads, guide pins, and time serts

90,829 (4/26/14)
4 tires: Ohtsu 195/65R-15

Cosmetic Issues:
  • Body: No rust! But paint is fading somewhat on driver’s side
  • Leather seats: some cracking and split seams
  • Headliner is sagging slightly over cargo area
  • Cargo cover doesn’t retract
Photos: Posted at the Members Albums page under my user name: gingfox

Last edited:

trekkar

Veteran Member
TDI
05 bug,02 golf
Seems like a good price to me if the turbo was fixed probably go for 6-7k. Wish it wasnt across the company from me. Glws

CptJackSparrow

TDI
2004 VW Golf GLS TDI
Given the fact that a 2003 jetta wagon loaded with all the goodies such as leather, moonroof, etc is the most sought after TDI car, I think $3,500 might be a bit low even with a blown turbo.

I would fix the turbo and then try to sell it for $6,500 or thereabouts. I think it would be a reasonable asking price especially because of the low mileage.

Edit: I thought it said it was a manual. Oops. Maybe it would be too high of an asking price, since the automatic fails very early in these cars.

Last edited:

gingfox

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Given the fact that a 2003 jetta wagon loaded with all the goodies such as leather, moonroof, etc is the most sought after TDI car, I think $3,500 might be a bit low even with a blown turbo.
I would fix the turbo and then try to sell it for $6,500 or thereabouts. I think it would be a reasonable asking price especially because of the low mileage.
Based on the input from trekkar and CptJackSparrow, here's an option for those non-mechanics out there, like me, who would like to drive away with a superb 2003 TDI Wagon with relatively low mileage.

With a deposit of $2,500 I will have a brand new turbo installed plus the required maintenance and complete the smog check.

Asking price: $6,500 OBO

To access the photos that I posted on March 20: Click on Photos, then on the Members Albums page, and look for my user name: gingfox

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
$3500 as it is right now is a smoking deal. $6500 with all the repairs done in still an amazing price given the fact that it is a 1 owner car and well maintained. Either way, I wish you good luck with the sale and I hope someone will get to enjoy this car for an additional 300k+ miles or longer.

gingfox

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
$3500 as it is right now is a smoking deal. $6500 with all the repairs done in still an amazing price given the fact that it is a 1 owner car and well maintained. Either way, I wish you good luck with the sale and I hope someone will get to enjoy this car for an additional 300k+ miles or longer.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, NewTdi!! I very much appreciate your support and well wishes, especially given that you're a veteran member of this forum and you own/have owned two 03 MK IV's with several thousand miles clocked on each!

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I can't believe that this one has not been snapped up! If my daughters knew how to drive a manual then it would have been gone ...!

gingfox

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I can't believe that this one has not been snapped up! If my daughters knew how to drive a manual then it would have been gone ...!
Looks like it's an automatic, Go for it.
Yes, that's correct, Mcgink. My wagon is an automatic.

NewTdi: I really appreciate your comments regarding my Jetta! If you and your daughters might be interested in snapping up my Jetta, please let me know. I also sent you an email.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
My daughters are both driving Japanese imports. If I was mechanically inclined I would purchase the car and install a 6 speed tranny. Since I am not mechanically inclined I hope your car finds a wonderful new home.