High pitch noise

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
So recently I have been noticing a high pitch noise coming out of the engine compartment when the car is running. First time I noticed I was in a drive thru and lowered my Window and there it was. I can't hear it while driving cause all the road noise. It's not really loud but slowly. Is creeping on my nerves.
Any ideas

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
The noise came back and I have located it between rear wheels under the truck could it be the adblue pump? And if it is how come it hasn't come on before?
Man I'm freaking out.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Why are you freaking out? :confused:

Several people have stated that this is perfectly normal.

If you're really concerned about what's going on, get a video of the noise and post it online (YouTube is recommended). Saying "hi guys i'm freaking out about this high pitched noise!" doesn't actually help us troubleshoot the potential problem.

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I'm not freaking all that much. Just worried since reading about the HPFP, issues and stuff. Called the police dealer and the service dude said it might be a fuel pump since I was low on gas or it might be the adblue pump he wasn't sure until I bring it in and they can listen to it. It sounds like a high pitch vacuum sound and Definitly coming from the rear bottom. Here is the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBALECl9xPU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
That video is set to private. The high pitched sound is normal. It should be particularly audible for a few seconds after the engine is shut off.

EDIT: Thanks, no longer private. Watched video. Normal. VeeDubTDI explained it.

Last edited:

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
Owned the car for little over three months and put on it 11000 miles and noticed it today. Weird. Maybe need to turn down the radio.
I'm gonna sound like a retard but what are " Stepper motors for the exhaust throttles.

Last edited:

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
There's an exhaust flapper valve (exhaust throttle) downstream of the nitrogen oxide storage catalyst, before the hydrogen sulfide catalytic converter. It's used to help facilitate low pressure EGR by increasing pressure differential.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The sound in your video sounds like the fuel pump in the fuel tank rather than the AdBlue pump. Notice that the sound gets louder as you go towards the fuel tank and away from the AdBlue tank.

I'll try and grab a video for you to compare in a few minutes.

LOL @ low flux capacitor.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
shut the vehicle off and listen. Do you hear an electric motor winding a gear just prior to the noise disappearing? If so, it's the exhaust throttle.

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
So once I put the keys into the ignition and turn it without starting the car it sounds like whatever it is its spooling or starting up. Once I start the car the noise continues. When I shut off the car the noise continues for a split second then shuts off. When I get a chance I'll upload another video.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
So once I put the keys into the ignition and turn it without starting the car it sounds like whatever it is its spooling or starting up. Once I start the car the noise continues. When I shut off the car the noise continues for a split second then shuts off. When I get a chance I'll upload another video.
You know, my comments are really based on the CJAA engine and the sounds I'm familiar with from that system. The fuel injection system, EGR, and exhaust system are really quite different on your engine, so I may be wrong. However, the sound in the video sounds distinctly like what I hear from my car. It's the sound of stepper motors. The CJAA engine has more than one. There's one that actuates the exhaust throttle and also an intake flap motor. At any rate, I doubt what you're hearing is any cause for concern.

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
Trust me, I really appreciate the support from this community regardless if it's something that I need to worry about or not. I am concerned because I have had the car for over three months and put on over 11000 and had not noticed this noise until now. I really hope it's normal cause the passat has been a extraordinary commuter thus far and hoping that it will keep me going.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think you're paranoid from reading HPFP threads in the Mk6 forums! ;)

TBKnbaNYC

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SE 6MT
I'm experiencing what seems to be the exact name noise... did some searching and found this thread. My car isn't even broken in yet tho... haven't even hit 200 miles hahaha... brand new.

I was planning on asking the dealership at my "30 day" service appointment. I think my high pitch sound is louder than yours

superchud

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof (DSG)
3200 miles here on my Passat and I hear the same thing. I attribute it to the fuel pump as I had mine replaced at the 550 mile mark and hear the same sound. I believe it's just part of the normal operating sounds of the fuel system.

gringojosh

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I find a lot of strange TDI noises are fixed by just pretending the car is an airplane. The high pitched noise is just like jet engine whine.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Stepper motors for the exhaust throttles.
and intake and rail pressure valves and like 100 other things on the car that are controlled via PWM.