www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 20th, 2020, 15:04   #1
jdmsx

Default 2.0TDI CR idle issue

Hi guys, new to the forum here but hoping someone could help with some knowledge on an issue that occurs sometimes. I’ve noticed when slowing down for a junction/traffic lights etc that my idle is staying higher than what it should (around 1100-1200rpm). Before going any further I should say that the car has been remapped with the egr programmed out, and a dpf delete (so it isn’t a high idle due to regen). It’s as if the car doesn’t want to slow down and the throttle is being slightly pressed even when the clutch is to the floor. If I tap the throttle or get the car to go below 1000rpm it returns to a normal idle of 800-900rpm, I don’t use my aircon either and it only happens intermittently every now and again. There’s no codes on my dash and I really don’t want to start replacing parts that aren’t faulty for the sake of it. I was just wondering if anyone has ever encountered this problem or has any experience with the same thing. Will try to attach a video of what is happening if I figure out how to do it haha!

Thanks in advance

https://youtu.be/KxpmqYauv-k

Last edited by jdmsx; March 20th, 2020 at 15:13. Reason: Additional Info
jdmsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2020, 17:10   #2
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

talk to your tuner. record some data and send it off. also helps to show the year of your car. the idle speed is controled by fuel and not a plate. Throttle by wire? Check yout petal values with vcds to see if its returning. next time see if you can get a toe behind the petal and pull back.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2020, 06:40   #3
jdmsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineChaos View Post
talk to your tuner. record some data and send it off. also helps to show the year of your car. the idle speed is controled by fuel and not a plate. Throttle by wire? Check yout petal values with vcds to see if its returning. next time see if you can get a toe behind the petal and pull back.
Sorry shouldíve added that. Itís a 2011. Thanks for the advice. Will have a look into the suggestions you added.
Old March 21st, 2020, 17:26   #4
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

they are throttle by wire. and bliping the petal brings it back down. and it never used to do this? If you have vcds check the values of the throttle petal. One failing is rare. maybe something got in the hinge. More a suggestion than advice. Im a backyard mechanic and do research on problems. Its what i can think of. Do you have a high idle when its cold?
Old March 22nd, 2020, 06:04   #5
jdmsx

Quote:
they are throttle by wire. and bliping the petal brings it back down. and it never used to do this? If you have vcds check the values of the throttle petal. One failing is rare. maybe something got in the hinge. More a suggestion than advice. Im a backyard mechanic and do research on problems. Its what i can think of. Do you have a high idle when its cold?
No, it never used to do it. Now itís an intermittent thing. Sometimes when Iíve been driving around town (stop and start) or when Iíve given it a spirited drive itíll happen. It makes slowing down a pain as the engine is still racing while you are trying to slow for a junction. Yes, when the weather is cold/icy outside it usually idles at 1000rpm.
Old March 26th, 2020, 20:54   #6
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

yeah, i could be totally off base. But that is what i would check. Unless a good vw mechanic would know a better cause of it. im just spitballing here. Had a throttle return spring break on me. petal stick under the floor mat. scary.
Old March 28th, 2020, 14:46   #7
jdmsx

Quote:
yeah, i could be totally off base. But that is what i would check. Unless a good vw mechanic would know a better cause of it. im just spitballing here. Had a throttle return spring break on me. petal stick under the floor mat. scary.
Will have to wait till all this covid-19 stuff is by with now. Donít have VCDS at home, but a friend has it!