Passat Intercooler Hose. Symptoms and fix

overseasSoul

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, X5 X35D
My Passat 2012 TDI SEL (NMS) emitted a soft "bang" from the engine compartment on normal driving and I had to limp home recently. I thought it would be a huge deal and that it was major damage. With a bit of reading around on this forum, I discovered that one of the causes of a soft "bang" is a blown intercooler hose (between the turbo and the intercooler). I hooked up VCDS and was able to show a big difference between turbo boost requested and delivered on the advanced measuring blocks. So I confidently put the car on ramps, took off the undercover and yes- there it was, a blown hose, like a radiator hose, with about a 6 inch 90 degree angle. I looked up the part from VW - about $270!
I saw a video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvr8c4896Mc that showed how to replace the hose, so I bought a section of matching radiator hose from Advanced AutoParts, cut it to size and fitted it moderately well. Problem solved, but I wasn't completely happy using this part.
The good news is I read this forum a bit more and discovered that I still had a valid VW settlement warranty on my Passat for another year, and that it covered the entire fuel system, turbo, intercooler etc. So I took it into the dealer, and with great good luck and feeling a bit foolish, they replaced the part with the correct VW part under warranty, removing my "temporary repair". Thanks VW!

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
My Passat 2012 TDI SEL (NMS) emitted a soft "bang" from the engine compartment on normal driving and I had to limp home recently. I thought it would be a huge deal and that it was major damage. With a bit of reading around on this forum, I discovered that one of the causes of a soft "bang" is a blown intercooler hose (between the turbo and the intercooler). I hooked up VCDS and was able to show a big difference between turbo boost requested and delivered on the advanced measuring blocks. So I confidently put the car on ramps, took off the undercover and yes- there it was, a blown hose, like a radiator hose, with about a 6 inch 90 degree angle. I looked up the part from VW - about $270!
I saw a video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvr8c4896Mc that showed how to replace the hose, so I bought a section of matching radiator hose from Advanced AutoParts, cut it to size and fitted it moderately well. Problem solved, but I wasn't completely happy using this part.
The good news is I read this forum a bit more and discovered that I still had a valid VW settlement warranty on my Passat for another year, and that it covered the entire fuel system, turbo, intercooler etc. So I took it into the dealer, and with great good luck and feeling a bit foolish, they replaced the part with the correct VW part under warranty, removing my "temporary repair". Thanks VW!

Thanks for the tip! Mine is also covered under the extended warranty.

This should be a 'STICKY' in this forum!

AaronB

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Beater Passat. Real piece
My dealers near me think the extended warranty covers nothing. so i found a fuel filler hose with the correct bend and t bolt clamps. been holding awhile