Problems with reverse

cookeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
When I park my 2012 Passat in a nose down parking spot I have problems backing out. The transmission is jerky and the car feels like the parking brake is on although it's released. I have to apply a lot of throttle and the car either wants to move fast or not at all. No problem on a flat surface. Is this normal with the DSG transmission?

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Normal. Think of the dsg as a manual transmission that is missing the third pedal. With practice you'll get better at reversing uphill without flying. I know I did.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm going to attempt to explain the way the DSG operates in reverse - perhaps it will help you understand and therefore be able to make it behave more smoothly.

The first and most important thing to remember is that the DSG is coupled to the engine with a CLUTCH similar to a manual transmission. When backing up a hill, the DSG will elevate the engine RPMs to about 1500 RPMs (exact number isn't important). The thing that confuses most people is that the throttle pedal actually starts to behave like an inverted clutch pedal, in that applying more pressure to it will engage the clutch more. If you're not used to this, it can result in jerky behavior.

Be smooth with the accelerator and make very small adjustments. Engine speed will not correlate with vehicle motion like it would in a conventional automatic transmission. A little practice and paying attention to how the vehicle responds to your right foot and you'll be backing up nice and smoothly.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think once you learn the nuances of the DSG you'll be used to it. And the current crop of them are the best of the bunch, and work well with the CR diesels.

EdSatt

TDI
Thank goodness. I thought mine was starting to go out. Just bought my 2013 last week and noticed it yesterday while backing into my garage.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

EdSatt

TDI
Thank goodness. I thought mine was starting to go out. Just bought my 2013 last week and noticed it yesterday while backing into my garage.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk