Nicktane 1 micron fuel filters.

cajun87

TDI
Mk4 Jetta
Well I made the jump and joined the tdi family a few weeks back, I joined these forums to scramble together as much information as I could before buying my first tdi. I bought a 2003 MK4 alh jetta with 193xxx miles and I am getting ready to change the oil and change the filters, mostly for piece of mind, in the coming weeks. The previous owner installed a nicktane 1 micron fuel filter system, but looking on their website a replacement filter is in the ball park of $60 with shipping and tax. I contacted them and they said they make their filters and didn't have a part number to give me, forcing me to buy a filter from them. Does anyone have experience with these filters, and if so do any of yall have a part number to by a filter locally?

Here is the link to the replacement filter, to me the price is rediculous.

http://nicktane.com/index.php/product/replacement-1-micron-synthetic-fuel-filter-short/

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The Nicktane 1 micron has a (1-12 Thread Pitch) same as the cimteck The Cat filter has a 1 " 14 thread Pitch. Nick has alternate thread nipples for either.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The Nicktane 1 micron has a (1-12 Thread Pitch) same as the cimteck The Cat filter has a 1 " 14 thread Pitch. Nick has alternate thread nipples for either.
Yup. Incredibly dumb (or brilliant) move on the part of Cim-Tek and Nicktane to use a different thread from the CAT filter.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Read back before posting.............the Cat filter without a change of thread nipple it will not fit.:eek: this is what the OP needs to use if he chooses the Cat 2 micron filterhttp://nicktane.com/index.php/product/1-14-filter-nipple/

The micro glass 1 micron is different and in a lot of ways aside from the micron rating, it is also fully synthetic micro-glass which the Cat 2 Micron filter is not.

Don't suggest that if the OP purchases the Cat filters and then goes to change them out that this will be a perfect fit. Can you imagine standing in your driveway with the old 1 micron-filter in you hand and then find out that the new Cat filter will not fit ?

Last edited:

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Read back before posting.............
??? I did read back before posting.

You pointed out in post #4 Nictanes threaded adapter for the Cat filter.

I merely responded to jackbombay's link for a Cat 2 filter price with a link that was less expensive.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I merely responded to jackbombay's link for a Cat 2 filter price with a link that was less expensive.
Then to be less confusing you should have quoted jackbombay's price vs another cat filter option. Much less confusing to the OP I feel.;)

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
OP, just convert the head to the CAT 2 threads -- they're great filters and far less expensive. That said, unless you get a load of bad fuel, you can go for 10's of thousands of miles without needing to change. Some go over 100K without issue. I went 60K with one and the next clogged at 40K from some poor fuel. The difference in practice is negligible.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
That said, unless you get a load of bad fuel, you can go for 10's of thousands of miles without needing to change. Some go over 100K without issue. I went 60K with one and the next clogged at 40K from some poor fuel. The difference in practice is negligible.
The same can be said about the OE filter.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
OP, just convert the head to the CAT 2 threads -- they're great filters and far less expensive. That said, unless you get a load of bad fuel, you can go for 10's of thousands of miles without needing to change. Some go over 100K without issue. I went 60K with one and the next clogged at 40K from some poor fuel. The difference in practice is negligible.
Years ago here it was said that the CAT filter service life, based on service life for OTR trucks, was ~100,000 miles for a jetta, based on number of gallons filtered. I change mine at 50,000...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yup. Incredibly dumb (or brilliant) move on the part of Cim-Tek and Nicktane to use a different thread from the CAT filter.
I wouldn't expect fuel filters to be any more universal than oil filters really. Cim-tek isn't a newcomer to fuel filtration, most fuel station pumps around here use them.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
IIRC the stock filter is 10 micron?
Yes, it is I believe. But it is not about filter life it is about filtration. Not How many miles you can go with a Cat/Cim-Tek or an OE. One tank of bad fuel will plug any one of them. That is what they are designed to do...........protect your injectors. If you have a filter plugging problem it is not the filter it is the dirty fuel. It all comes down to how much are you willing to pay for ultimate fuel polishing. One micron, two microns or ten microns. The Nicktane/Cim-Tec 1 micron may be overkill maybe not. The finer the filtration does not guaranty a longer filter life. I would say the finer the filtration the shorter the filter service life is as it captures more junk in the fuel and will fill up faster.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think the super fine filtration only causes issues when winter fuel is insufficiently treated, and the waxes start precipitating out. Obviously, the oe filters will clog with waxes at a certain point too.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I think the super fine filtration only causes issues when winter fuel is insufficiently treated, and the waxes start precipitating out. Obviously, the oe filters will clog with waxes at a certain point too.
Agreed........what other crud do super fine filters remove besides wax in cold conditions? Are they harmful to your injectors? Last winter the people in the NE complained about filter clogging.......was it waxing or was it water. Water will freeze and expand and freeze the Cat/OE filter as it has cellulose in it. It will not expand micro glass and affect the Micro glass media. Micro glass does not have the affinity to water that cellulose does.

Last edited:

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I would say the finer the filtration the shorter the filter service life is as it captures more junk in the fuel and will fill up faster.
Absolutely, for any given surface area of filter media. The Cat filter has much more filter media surface area though which is why, assuming you don't get a bad tank of fuel, it will last longer than OEM.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Absolutely, for any given surface area of filter media. The Cat filter has much more filter media surface area though which is why, assuming you don't get a bad tank of fuel, it will last longer than OEM.
Good discussion here.
The Cat filter may have more surface area but it is capturing more small particles so it may plug sooner than the OE. Pros and Cons of both. If you're just looking for longevity the OE 10 micron filter will be your best bet. It does less work so it may last longer than the Cat that does more work regardless of it's increased size or capacity.
Going back a bit I posted this. Read through this and the authors determination is not the filter but the fuel.http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel...ory/2017/03/the-case-for-fuel-filtration.aspx

Last edited:

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
Just realized my 02 jetta tdi also has one of these installed by the previous owner.

So there's no twist on replacement filters I can just buy at an auto store? I really don't care for the 1 micron filtration

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Just realized my 02 jetta tdi also has one of these installed by the previous owner.

So there's no twist on replacement filters I can just buy at an auto store? I really don't care for the 1 micron filtration. Why not?

Is it a cat or a nicktane1 micron? The cat can be had at any Catapiller dealer.
Here is a less expensive option that will fit the 1-micron nipple.https://www.gasdevs.com/70025-300bha-01-particulate-fuel-filter-3-4-inch-flow.html?language=en¤cy=USD&gclid=CjwKCAjw2dvWBRBvEiwADllhn39aVOVb6G59zB656glnDrc41x9CexRrTcIv5nQlMkX_XV8_seN-WxoCmNQQAvD_BwE
Your only other option is to replace the stock canister and use VW cartridges. I do not know of any spin on filter available from your local auto store. This is kind of a specialty set up. It works very well.

Last edited:

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
My current fuel filter is just white with no logo or part number. I assume it's the original nicktane filter that's for sale for way too much on their site. I purchased a few bio tek 70025 filters. Thanks

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
My current fuel filter is just white with no logo or part number. I assume it's the original nicktane filter that's for sale for way too much on their site. I purchased a few bio tek 70025 filters. Thanks
I have the same set up as you and I originally bought Nick's high priced filter but I can almost assure you the Cimtek is the same filter. Nick is just trying to turn a buck but that being said the filter head that he has developed is outstanding. Oh, BTW you're welcome. That is what these forums are all about.:)
I change mine every 40k when I do the DSG fluid change. I also carry one in the trunk just in case a got a bad tank of fuel and I didn't have filter readily available.
I would also suggest when you replace that filter you cycle the key several times to prime it and get all the air out before trying to start the car.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I got the filter and it looks good. Now the question is- does this filter have a built in water separator? If not, I might change it out for 1 with a water separator (http://nicktane.com/index.php/product/replacement-3-micron-fuel-filterwater-seperator-p553203/)...
No, it does not and neither does the OEM VW filter. Forget about the Donaldson filter with water separator (you would also need to change the filter nipple from one in 12 to one in 14) just use Power Service white year round. You will have no water issues and it will increase your cetane and add lubricity to your fuel at the same time..

Last edited:

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
I emailed Nicktane and got a very simple answer. I asked if there was an internal water separator and asked who makes their filter.

Nick replied: "It does. It's our filter."

LOL well, he answered them.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Nick replied: "It does. It's our filter."
LOL well, he answered them.
Nick doesn't make filters. He has made for him to his design(which is great) filter adaptors. I truly believe that he sells an unbranded Cim-Tek but he will never tell you that. Maybe the same manufacturer makes them for both Nick and Cim-Tek but he personally does not make anything. Take the good with the bad and motor on. His biggest market is pick-up trucks not TDI's.

Last edited:

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
Nick doesn't make filters. He has made for him to his design(which is great) filter adaptors. I truly believe that he sells an unbranded Cim-Tek but he will never tell you that. Maybe the same manufacturer makes them for both Nick and Cim-Tek but he personally does not make anything. Take the good with the bad and motor on. His biggest market is pick-up trucks not TDI's.
Yea, I agree with you. I'm taking his answer with a grain of salt. I'll just keep running the cim tek filter since it looks like many people never have water in the separator anyways.