www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 25th, 2002, 14:19   #1
flappie

Default VW TDI common rail

NEWS!!! I have seen (not yet driven... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ) the new Volkswage TDI - engine, With Common Rail.

The had built it in a large Transporter (LT) (it's a large Van overhere in Holland)

This probably the answer to the polution quest(?)
flappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2002, 17:04   #2
solstar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg
Default Re: VW TDI common rail

The end of the Turbo Direct Injected (TDI) Motor and the advent of the Rail! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
solstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2002, 17:21   #3
MOGolf
Veteran Member

I'm waiting for Michael Moore to get us all the part numbers and pictures so I can piece one together here. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2002, 18:02   #4
jck66
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally posted by solstar@ev1.net:
The end of the Turbo Direct Injected (TDI) Motor and the advent of the Rail! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are common rail and TDI mutually exclusive? I thought MB CDI engines were both. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
jck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2002, 18:10   #5
John C
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.6 Lifetime @ 146,000 Miles

Since TDI stands for Turbocharged, Direct Injection, common rail and TDI are not mutually exclusive. Common rail uses a high pressure pump to pressurize a 'rail' above the injectors, which are then operated by electric solenoids (really fast acting!)rather than by fuel pressure from the rotary pump on earlier TDIs.

This fuel system allows more flexibility in reducing noise and emissions by rate shaping the fuel delivery to the cylinders rather tahn just dumping it in when a pre-determined pressure is attained. An example is called pre-injection, which shoots a small amount of fuel into the cylinder to light the fire before the main charge is injected. This reduces the 'Diesel knock' common to most Diesels at idle, for instance.

It also has future capabilities in emissions lowering scenarios, of which I'm not allowed to discuss! Suffice to say, 2007 is not an impossible hurdle for Diesels!
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2002, 06:50   #6
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

I was not aware that VW has gone common-rail? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I thought they were pretty steadfast on Pumpe-düse?
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2002, 01:29   #7
flappie

According to me TDI stands for Turbo Diesel Intercooler ( also accoriding a german brochure???) Because evry Diesel is injected!

So SDI stands for Sauger (to suck in german) Diesel Intercooler...... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old May 18th, 2002, 15:56   #8
Dutch
Veteran Member

I don't think a SDI has an intercooler. I think it doesn't need one as the air doesn't get hot due to the turbo.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2002, 02:36   #9
MUNICH_DIESEL

TDI = turbo direct-injection
SDI = "sucker" direct-injection

the new european engines with 100/130/150 hp have the add "PD" which stands for "pumpe duese" (pump nozzle)

the Benz-CDI's technology is different (and makeable for gas engines as well, the Japanese already released some GDI-cars = gas direct injection, and a new mercedes 2.0 L CGI = common rail gas injection has been released)
MUNICH_DIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2002, 09:14   #10
PackRat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flappie:
According to me TDI stands for Turbo Diesel Intercooler ( also accoriding a german brochure???) Because evry Diesel is injected!

So SDI stands for Sauger (to suck in german) Diesel Intercooler...... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wodered what the S in SDI stood for.
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2002, 16:56   #11
think diesel
Veteran Member

Flappie:

1) TDI stands for Turbo Direct Injection
2) SDI's do not have turbos or intercoolers

I am 150% sure of both of those facts.
Whatever you are reading is a misprint or you have misunderstood it. Sorry.
think diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2002, 17:03   #12
think diesel
Veteran Member

FYI: Volkswagen uses pumpe-düse on it's smaller TDI engines, like the 1.4 liter 3 cylinder and 1.9 liter.

The larger engines such as the 3.3 V8 TDI in the Audi A8 and the V10 5.0 liter TDI mack daddy engine are COMMON RAIL, not pumpe-düse. I am not sure if this is for engineering reasons or what, but that is the way it is. Common rail VW/Audi TDI engines ALREADY exist and are on the road. It sounds like the news here is that they are replacing the 102(?) hp 2.5 liter TDI Transporter engine with a more powerful common-rail unit (the current motor uses rotary injection like our the quaint 90 hp antiques we still get here in the U.S. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I am not sure if there is a pumpe-düse TDI V6 yet. I beleive the 2.5 liter 180 hp V6 TDI is using the older rotary pump design, but maybe I am wrong. Anyone across the world there know?
think diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 01:45   #13
flappie

I'm sorry guys, according to a german brochure TDI stands for
T= Turbo
D = Disel
I = Intercooler
and
S = Sauger
D= Diesel
I = Intercooler
and according to ETKA a SDI also has a intercooler and a low pressure turbo to suck the air throw the intercooler... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old May 20th, 2002, 01:48   #14
flappie

I have spoken with the local VW dealer, The common-rail TDI engine is only going to be put in a LT (Larg Transporter) (Big Van overhere in europe) They do this to see what is better PD or Common Rail...)
Old May 20th, 2002, 05:01   #15
PTC
Veteran Member

TDI(s): HMaracic

Quote:
Originally posted by think diesel:
FYI: Volkswagen uses pumpe-düse on it's smaller TDI engines, like the 1.4 liter 3 cylinder and 1.9 liter.

The larger engines such as the 3.3 V8 TDI in the Audi A8 and the V10 5.0 liter TDI mack daddy engine are COMMON RAIL, not pumpe-düse. I am not sure if this is for engineering reasons or what, but that is the way it is. Common rail VW/Audi TDI engines ALREADY exist and are on the road. It sounds like the news here is that they are replacing the 102(?) hp 2.5 liter TDI Transporter engine with a more powerful common-rail unit (the current motor uses rotary injection like our the quaint 90 hp antiques we still get here in the U.S. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I am not sure if there is a pumpe-düse TDI V6 yet. I beleive the 2.5 liter 180 hp V6 TDI is using the older rotary pump design, but maybe I am wrong. Anyone across the world there know?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Interesting, I think I've read somewhere that V10 is a PD.

EDIT: Yes, V6 180 hp is a rotary Bosch pump (059 130 106 E), and the place where you can read that V10 is a PD is Volkswagen Technik Kompetenz, go to www.volkswagen.de, select Kompetenz from one of the menus and then click on the V10 TDI on the left.

[ May 20, 2002, 04:27: Message edited by: PTC ]
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote