Radiator hose diagram wanted

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
I need a picture of the radiator hose routing for a 96 Passat. The diagrams I've been able to find seem to be for a gas engine. I've searched here and other places online. Any place I've missed? I'm just trying to identify the hose so I can order it. TIA

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
I drove mine to work today...I can try to snap a pic...but not exactly sure what you are getting at...

I would think you just tell the parts guys what hose you need and he looks it up and gets it for you...or is this some "mystery" hose in the system?

AZ Autohaus usually has the actual hoses pictured when you are searching online. so if you don't know the correct name of the hose you can match the pictures...

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
I was sent a pic from ID parts but its different. On my 96, the top hos comes down from the drivers side and goes into a multi hose flange on the block or cylinder head which includes, I think, the temp sensor. From the bottom of that flange there's a hose about 9" long that goes to another flange on the block. I need a name or part number for that hose.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
I'll have to go look. I recall a weird multi hose thing...

I bought one of every weird hose once and keep them in the car as spares...I road trip a lot and auto zone don't carry these odd parts in stock...

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
there are 6 hoses on my 96 TDI...

2 are the upper and lower radiator hoses...pretty sure it's not that..kinda hard to confuse...these are also the only 2 hoses I don't have a spares :/

I have the other 4 hoses in my hand...will post part # in a bit

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I was sent a pic from ID parts but its different. On my 96, the top hos comes down from the drivers side and goes into a multi hose flange on the block or cylinder head which includes, I think, the temp sensor. From the bottom of that flange there's a hose about 9" long that goes to another flange on the block. I need a name or part number for that hose.

You are talking about the bypass hose, shaped sort of like a hockey stick. Goes from the back of the water pump housing to the flange on the head... in other words, from the same places the radiator hoses go, it just bypasses the radiator so coolant is always flowing about. And since your 1Z engine has an oil cooler, that hose will have a tee in it to that.

I *think* the part number is 028-121-053-Q Do a google image search with that part number.

Last edited:

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
hose#3, 1H0-819-371 or 119-819-00127/Meyle brand-heater hose/2-way, side of head to firewall

hose#4, 1HO-819-373-C or 119-819-0014/Meyle brand, heater hose/2-way, fire wall to metal return tube

hose#5, 028-121-053Q or 119-121-0100/Meyle brand, 3-way, from front of head(radiator return) and oil cooler, back to water pump.

hose#6, 037-122-058 or 4530/MTC brand, 3-way, from water pump to oil cooler and metal pipe going to short heater hose at firewall

those are the 4 brand new hoses, still in bag, that I'm holding in my hand...the "0" could be an "O"...letter, not number?

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
hose#3, 1H0-819-371 or 119-819-00127/Meyle brand-heater hose/2-way, side of head to firewall

hose#4, 1HO-819-373-C or 119-819-0014/Meyle brand, heater hose/2-way, fire wall to metal return tube

hose#5, 028-121-053Q or 119-121-0100/Meyle brand, 3-way, from front of head(radiator return) and oil cooler, back to water pump.

hose#6, 037-122-058 or 4530/MTC brand, 3-way, from water pump to oil cooler and metal pipe going to short heater hose at firewall

those are the 4 brand new hoses, still in bag, that I'm holding in my hand...the "0" could be an "O"...letter, not number?
No, it's 1H0 (as in numeral zero) not O although some manufacturer might have screwed something up.

The schematic for hoses by VW is screwy and hard to weed through since models and equipment are different. Compound that with the EGR cooler and the pipe, which separates hoses, and it makes for some confusion though.

As a side note though I wouldn't just replace hoses to be replacing them. I think newer hoses are fine but be aware that quality on some has been somewhat lacking. I remember last year someone with one of the triple hoses beneath the IP had one with a connection that blew apart...this was a new hose.

I have more faith in a OE hose that might be a decade old than I do with some of the crap being put out now. I had a Meyle upper rad hose for the wagon not seal at the flange due to imperfections in the manufacture where it attached to the inlet flange. I got a replacement but even that one had some of the same irregularities.

Good luck

EDIT: here's some information I gathered with a casual look at the parts catalog:

coolant hoses from WP to cooler / flange (not radiator hoses)

upper 3-way hose part #'s 028121053B, ...053P, ...053Q
lower 3-way hose part #'s 037121058, ...058B

As a side note remember that the lower radiator hose is NLA, the upper is still available under 3A0121101F for now. I don't expect to see these around forever though. I was not impressed with the Meyle version of this either..

Steve

Last edited:

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
028-121-053-Q

That appears to be it. I was initially looking at it early in the morning darkness and rain/snow. I thought it was going to a lower
flange but I see that's not correct. Thanks all for the assist.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
got a part number for the lower hose? might find one from an obscure source
3A0121051G was the last part number bandied about as being available. I see that it still can be had from ECS Tuning. There are also other part numbers that would fit the bill too, ...051C is one of them and ...051L too but both these are NLA now. I'm actually surprised that ECS still shows that hose available since I don't think that VW does.

028-121-053-Q

That appears to be it. I was initially looking at it early in the morning darkness and rain/snow. I thought it was going to a lower
flange but I see that's not correct. Thanks all for the assist.
Yeah, that's the second of the two triple hoses from the WP to the pipe / oil cooler and on to the coolant flange on the head. This is the hose most vulnerable to IP leaks and this is also the one that blew apart last year on someone. There are some aftermarket options for this hose that use clamped fittings versus a bonded junction.

One of the threads that discusses radiator hoses is here and it also has links to another thread where there was an extensive discussion.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I have a feeling ECS’s site hasn’t been updated, and that lower hose is NLA. Worth a shot, but I’d probably call them, before ordering.

-Todd