Dealing with the dealer

KD

Test drove the automatic Golf TDI today, it's a dream! Very sharp looking too - it was a silver/grey GLS with lux. package and heated seats. (Does anyone have a red TDI? I haven't seen any here on the forum).

Alas, common sense prevails and I've decided when it come time to order to get the base model. As much as I'd enjoy power windows, sunroof, etc, I don't think the hefty extra cost is worth it. I'll spend the saved $$$ on an aftermarket sound system and alarm.

Alright, this is the first time I've ever been interested in a car that isn't found in abundance. I certainly had no problem getting the exact color and packages in my Es-crap, and had my uncle's A-Plan, so have never had to "deal" before.

What can I expect as far as negotiations for a Golf TDI? Are dealers firm in the sticker prices? I know that a GL with auto is listed at $17,595 MSRP, and invoice is $16,490. From what I understand most folks have been paying about $400 over invoice, so my target should be about $16,800?

Any advice would be helpful!
KD

Also, few things that the salesman mentioned worried me a bit.

First, he told me that finding a GL with an automatic is much harder than the GLS... does anyone know if this is just sales BS to get me to spend more money, or is it true? I am not in any hurry to get the car, but I don't want to wait 6 months either.

Second, when I asked about leasing, (which I had planned on doing), he told me that *no one* leases a Golf as it costs too much. He claimed that VW doesn't lease enough of them to make it worth it.

GeWilli, thanks for the advice on Williams WV. I tried them and they didn't have any automatics. Also, I'd really like to find a dealer close to home, Lansing's an hour and a half away.

Jason

I know alot of the people on this forum used the phone to compare shop. The idea is to get dealers to bid against themselves. The only problem is you might have to drive a ways to get your car. I myself drove a couple of hours to save $800. You can have any dealer service your car.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
I don't think the sales man is flipping BS about the rarity of an Auto GL. VW and it seems all car companies, view the stick as an economy feature and the Auto as a Luxury feature. Hence the more luxury cars (GLS) are more likely to be avail in auto, and the economy are less likely (GL).

If it is an option there might be one around. But you might not have much choice in color or options.

Personally once I added the CD player I found the sound system to be actually quite acceptable, and it wasn't the Monsoon either. It is loud and clear enough for any of my CDs and the bass response is enough to get attention. The only drawback to the system is the FM sensitivity and reception, I haven't seen the specs but there are stations that I can't pull in in the Golf that I can in our other car. Granted I am used to a Sony tuner and a bigger antenna in a Volvo.

The alarm that is built in has a fuel and eletronic system lock. If the alarm goes off the car cannot be driven. So when thinking of an aftermarket alarm, try and find one that can work with what is already there.

Good luck with the search, it will all be worth while once you own the car, they are awesome. I love my Black 99.5 Golf GL TDI (5 speed BTW).

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
KD,
It might be worth it for you to get the one there in Texas. Hope on Southwest airlines using a one way ticket ( I had to use one of their one way tickets when my ride from teh east coast back to michigan left without me ) cheapest oneway tickets I have seen. What's 1 or 2 hundred bucks to go to texas and learn about the car driving back to michigan?

KD

Damn! If I wasn't in grad school and working full time, I'd hop the next plane to Texas. Problem is, I'm on campus 6 days a week, and on the fast track until December! I need to find some place not more than a few hours drive, or I'll just have to wait for an ordered car.

Does anyone have any experience finding or waiting for an automatic GL? I don't really mind waiting, (much!), and although I do have color preferences, I'd take any color besides silver, (no offence to silver lovers, I just see way too cars in that color on the road).

KD

Traivor

Why not see about getting Metro to ship that one to you? They seem to be pretty good people out there. I almost got their green gls instead of the blue I ended up with just so I could deal with them instead of Central VW/Audi.

ertzog

Veteran Member
TDI
2K Golf, 05 Sprinter 118
Is it to late to get you into the 5 speed? Cheaper, available and Fun City!

Or are you sitting in traffic all day?

------------------
Blk/Blk Debadged 2000 Golf GL TDI