New owner of Q5 TDI

SoCal Buff

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI
Hi everyone,
I just bought a 2014 Q5 TDI. White w black interior. I am in sales and drive 35k miles per year. Let's see how long we can keep this car going!

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Very nice! Pictures please.

I do 35-40K miles per year in my JSW. It would be nice to have the higher quality seating and interior of the Q5

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I looked at the Q5's before buying a Tiguan SEL and the price difference wasn't worth the features. If VW sells a 4Motion TDI Tiguan in the US I'll buy another one.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I have been looking at a used Q5, and a used Toureg, trying to decide between them. Still having good times with your Q5?

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Got my Q5 a few days before they stopped selling them. I have a bit over 3k miles on it so far. I'm very happy With it so far. It is exceeding my expectations. I'm getting low 30s mpg hand calculated in mixed driving which includes some heavy traffic. On mostly highway trips I've gotten upper 30s according to the MFI. The torque really is impressive. I had a Q5 2.0 TFSI as a loner briefly, but according to the MFI I was getting low 20s mpg. Honestly, if you are looking for the best combination of performance and efficiency the 3.0 TDI is hard to beat. I generally spend about 2 hours a day commuting and the Q5 is a nice way to do it. I'm currently driving a new Dodge Compass rental. It's a decent car but compared to the Q5 it's noisy, unrefined and underpowered. Looking forward to getting back into the Q5.

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
I'm currently driving a new Dodge Compass rental. It's a decent car but compared to the Q5 it's noisy, unrefined and underpowered. Looking forward to getting back into the Q5.
Why are you driving a Rental, hopefully the Q5 is working the way it should be? I take it you are away from home. Last summer we were in the PNW for 2 weeks and had a jeep patriot. At best, it was bearable. So happy to get home to the Q5 and the Golf SW.

We have owned a '12 Q5 2T and now we own a '14 Q5 TDI. We have not had any problems at all with either of the Q5 and we now have 65000kM on the '14. PS, We also use the Q5 TDI to tow a 28 foot Airstream TT, it works spectacularly and still gets amazing fuel economy. Best all around vehicle we have ever owned.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the concern. The rental was while visiting family out of town. I just read that the Compass is one of the top 10 least liked vehicles of 2015. I didn't think it was that bad. At least the seats were comfortable. The Q5 is running perfectly, but only 3800 miles so far. I'm glad to see that yours is treating you well. I had considered the BMW and Mercedes versions, but they have 2 or 2.1L diesels and don't get that much better mpg, but do have a lot less torque. My Q5 came with a towing package. I should probably get an Airstream or a boat to hook up behind. :D

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
To be honest, all my driving has been mixed so far. The MFI has read mid to upper 30s on mostly highway cruising, but I haven't run a full tank on 100% highway. I do think mid to upper 30s should be attainable on a full tank. The 3.0L TDI cruises effortlessly at highway speeds. At 75 mph the tach says 1800 rpm. I like to use the cruise control, otherwise it's too easy to be going 80+ mph.

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
On our last two fills with mostly highway driving, we have been able to get just under 32Mpg (US) but when towing, I have been able to see 20Mpg (US) which includes a bunch of km driving about wherever we are with the trailer unhooked at the campground. We appear to be getting about 18.5Mpg(US) actually towing. Our average FE for the whole of 2015 is 8.25L/100Km, 34.22 Imperial MPG or 28.5 US MPG. :cool:
You can see my FE on my Fuelly link in my Signature.