2012 Jetta TDI oil changes

Fulf

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
I just took a trip from SC to IL over 1300 miles. on the way there i average 62 mph for 45.5 mpg. on the way back i wanted to get home faster. i averaged 72mph and 42.9 mpg. now it is time for my first oil change.

For TDI's after 2003, be careful about the oils recommended in the oil FAQ section. I bought Shell Rotella T6 (found locally, Mobil Devlac is also found locally) thinking that would do the trick. I decided to call Shell to confirm that their product meets the vw 507.00 spec. They said they would not recommend their Rotella for models after 2003.

My oil cap says "Castrol recommended" and doing a little research I have found that Castrol SLX/edge LL03 5w-30 is recommended. The guy at Shell recommended Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5w-30.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Also do you recommend sucking the oil out with a pump or removing the drain plug?

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
The Pennzoil has been holding up well it seems based on UOAs from one member.

When researching your car going forward, you need to look at the 2009+ CR FAQs.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Right Oil & Top or Bottom?

Castrol SLX/edge LL03 5w-30 is recommended.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've been using it since my 09 was new. Gee, its been four years now.

Also do you recommend sucking the oil out with a pump or removing the drain plug?
I used a Pella 6000 for my 40K change and sucked out 4.2 liters. It took a while, but you can get as much out from the top as from the bottom if you are willing to take the time. When you get my age, it's much easier from the top.