MN Chat Thread

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Its a common rail issue with post injection.
Huh, interesting.
So it's coming down past the piston rings.

I was just talking with a guy with a similar problem on a detroit 671. Haven't looked at it yet, but he says he drains the oil every 10 hours run time and it comes out like water. :p

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
4 steel wheels w/2 good Altima Arctics

I bought the set of wheels with almost-new Arctics in October 2011 and ran them through Winter 2012. In March 2013 I replaced two of them because of belt separation on one tire and a puncture that couldn't be fixed on another. The wheels are generic 5x100 so I was able to put them on my niece's Stratus for Winter 2014, but she didn't drive much.

So what I'm offering are four 15" wheels with 5x100 bolt pattern, two practically new tires, and two that are worn out.

Best offer locally, but I'm thinking around $150-160. Earliest PM wins the bid.

Last edited:

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf

I bought the set of wheels with almost-new Arctics in October 2011 and ran them through Winter 2012. In March 2013 I replaced two of them because of belt separation on one tire and a puncture that couldn't be fixed on another. The wheels are generic 5x100 so I was able to put them on my niece's Stratus for Winter 2014, but she didn't drive much.

So what I'm offering are four 15" wheels with 5x100 bolt pattern, two practically new tires, and two that are worn out.

Best offer locally, but I'm thinking around $175-200. Earliest PM wins the bid.

i may take these.

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Looking for Vag - com help

Looking to connect with an experienced vagcom user for a few tweaks on my 2013. Things like increased signal count 3-5, rain sense wipers etc. please pm me with your contact details and we can connect to discuss. Thanks.
Bernie
Eagan,MN

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
Just picked up a 2011 JSW with 85K, listed on friday at Westside and I nabbed it yesterday at 4pm. Anyone know how to read dealer lingo for service records? They gave me a printout of off their service records but it is in dealer speak and not really readable.

Most of it is "multi point inspection" and "brake wear good" but some things raise a flag for me.

things like :
(operation code) 50vwzz23j9/v5 Diesel Fuel INJ
60vwzzm01 misc sublet repa
50vwzz20r9/v8 Diesel Fuel Only

Last edited:

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Looking to connect with an experienced vagcom user for a few tweaks on my 2013. Things like increased signal count 3-5, rain sense wipers etc. please pm me with your contact details and we can connect to discuss. Thanks.
Bernie
Eagan,MN

Sent you a PM
Eric

Ron22

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I just stopped at a Kwik Trip they had #2 non winterized and premium winterized for $0.06 more.
I have never seen this at Kwik Trip is this a new thing or something with this store.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
little text on the phone is hard to read sometimes;)

The Forest Lake one never has had it. St. Michael and Chisago have straight D2(B5 or B10?).

g60corrado

TDI
Shopping
I just stopped at a Kwik Trip they had #2 non winterized and premium winterized for $0.06 more.
I have never seen this at Kwik Trip is this a new thing or something with this store.
Premium winterized has an additive package, regular #2 will be 2b5, no additives. B10 is blended from April 1-Sept 30. Back to B5 for winter months, and as the temperature falls throughout winter, #1 will be blended in. Usually 70/30 #2/#1.

Ron22

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I know what winterized fuel is :)
Normally I just see it labeled D2 winterized.
It seemed weird because I have never seen both at Kwik Trip. I have seen it at truck stops. This was at the auto pumps not the truck area.

alha

TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon 5 spd & '05 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
This just popped up on craigslist. I know nothing about it other than what's on the listing and I'm in no was associated with the car or seller. I'm also not looking to buy.

Seems almost too good at only 3K. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ctd/4773350577.html
Hi, new here, just today bought and paid for the 2004 version of this one, from the east coast, with 50k fewer miles, but for a lot more money... Oh well. And just for fun I checked out the status of this car on their website directly, and surprise, it's sold already. Oh well, at least I found this site, and a lot of good info on local TDI shops, and the fact that there seems to be quite a few TDI owners around as well. This is my first VW since I owned a Baja Bug in the early 80's. Much to learn, but great info out here too.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
This just popped up on craigslist. I know nothing about it other than what's on the listing and I'm in no was associated with the car or seller. I'm also not looking to buy.
Seems almost too good at only 3K. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ctd/4773350577.html
For a used car dealership to price that car at that price suggests that it has a lot of problems. They get their inventory from auctions, so there's no maintenance or repair history. And typically a Jetta wagon in good condition never makes it to an auction -- so the fact that it was dumped at an auction suggests that the problems must have been fairly obvious.

But if the chassis is straight and the engine is not totally toeffed, and the buyer is able to put a few thousand into it, then it could be an okay deal. If someone is looking for a daily driver that he can start putting miles on right away, then he ought to stay away from this one.

carkey351

TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed 157K(to replace 09 when it goes away)2009 Jetta 6 speed-414K (and climbing), 2002 chevy duramax (303k and climbing).
i bought my 2009 jetta with 362,000 from a stealership in WI with full disclosure that the dpf was bad. well, i tuned it out and hollowed the dpf, then to find out the actuator on the turbo was bad....so $1000 later into a $5k car (i do my own work so its just parts/tuning), i have a decent TDI...so for a place to sell a cheap TDI, its becoming more common -some places will even tell you what it needs (i.e. timing belt, etc.)....just a thought.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
B5.5 Rear Wheel Bearing

Does anyone have any experience changing a rear wheel bearing/hub on a B5.5? I think I have my rogue noise figured out.
NAPA has hub assemblies from ~$80.00 to ~$230.00. Two say no ABS, the third doesn't say. Of course the third is the $230.00 one.
I have not torn into it yet. I wanted to have the parts on hand before I did.
Any Idea on the rear ABS setup? Is the tone ring or whatever in the hub assembly, or a piece that bolts in?

Thanks!
d
(I have the 05 Jetta gasser in the garage now working on the paint, I do remember why I dislike painting.....:) )

Last edited:

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
Does anyone have any experience changing a rear wheel bearing/hub on a B5.5? I think I have my rogue noise figured out.
NAPA has hub assemblies from ~$80.00 to ~$230.00. Two say no ABS, the third doesn't say. Of course the third is the $230.00 one.
I have not torn into it yet. I wanted to have the parts on hand before I did.
Any Idea on the rear ABS setup? Is the tone ring or whatever in the hub assembly, or a piece that bolts in?

Thanks!
d
(I have the 05 Jetta gasser in the garage now working on the paint, I do remember why I dislike painting.....:) )
take a pic and text it to me... 952-567-1908.. check of there is a sensor wire coming out of it or not...

if its just a hub style it wont be that hard unless super rusted..

not sure of the setup but Im home tomorrow (Saturday 29Nov) (live in Jordan).. could possibly help out... I have a heated garage and lift and tools... you offered to help when I was having issues so figured Id throw the offer back... Ive done a handful of various styles of bearings.. the hub style are generally very straight forward..

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Thanks Dwnundr,
I wont be able to tear into it for a week or so. I was hoping someone had already done one.
The 05 Jetta is in the garage getting a quicky paint job... man I hate painting cars....a few little runs in the basecoat from the new low pressure gun... still figuring that out..
I need to get it finished up before I can look at the Passat.
d

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
literally about an hrs work if all goes well.. typically on those style bearings... key is soak everything down every couple of days before doing it then with pb-blaster or wd40

1st_TDI:)

TDI
2000 Jetta Forest Green
Rogue noise?

Does that mean there are others out there with similar problem?
Thought I was alone.
Mine arrived shortly after the installation of snow tires, so I thought that was source. Now I have noted that I hear it more when I let off the throttle. Goes away under acceleration or at stable speeds. Also when I depress the clutch it goes away?:confused:
Any thoughts from experts or guys like me who just dabble it the art of maintenance. :eek:

Last edited:

1st_TDI:)

TDI
2000 Jetta Forest Green
Read over this and thought hard about what was a common mistake. Always Check your own work twice. Yep! Had torqued the wheels and checked them too. Guess what. Loose wheel makes noise to tell you you have to tighten it. (Da...)

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Axle woes

As I was pulling out of my alley an hour or so ago, I felt a little tugging on my steering wheel then it seemed the transmission popped out of gear, That was not the case. Crawling in the snow & peering behind the left front wheel I could see the rubber boot on the CV joint is cut. If any of you were at the GTG at Farmerboys a couple of years ago, you may remember we found that part damaged on my car. I ended up having SCI replace the axle with a part they sourced at a dealer. Well, it seems it's FUBAR'd again. Any advice on how to get rolling again ASAP?

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
gah, blinking glow plug light... I don't have time for this. From what I've read it may be related to brake lights? or the switch? or is that wishful thinking. When I start the car - the gpl cycles (although quickly - thanks Terry!) and after idle for 15+/- sec. it starts blinking.