www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 11th, 2017, 15:08   #31
slk23

TDI(s): 2010 Golf

Thanks for the report on first impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiechan005 View Post
Completed my fix on my 2010 Gen I TDI (6sp manual - 138,XXX miles). The dealer kept the car for 3 days as they had issues with replacing a glow plug module
That's confusing... according to the information from VW the glow plug module (and DPF) only needs to be replaced in MY 2009 vehicles. Since the Golf TDI 2.0 first model year is 2010 it shouldn't applicable. Only Jetta TDIs were available in MY 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiechan005 View Post
Anyone have any experience with getting a tune like Kerma where you can swap back to the original after their software update??
I don't have any experience with that but be aware that a tune is likely to increase emissions.
slk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 20:19   #32
LostArk

2011 Golf, 6-speed manual, 41k+ miles

Fix completed 9/7, restitution in hand 9/11. No noticeable difference in fuel economy or performance after about 1/4 tank. Will report back if any issues arise.
LostArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 22:37   #33
jbright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbright View Post
I will. I'm just going to show up tomorrow morning before work at the dealership's express service, no appointment. I can't see how it's anything that would strand me along the highway. Aside from the fix (which involved replacing glow plug module -- wasn't aware of that) they did a 150K service with brake fluid flush and replaced a torn CV joint boot. They also did the snow flap oxygen sensor recall replacement. I'm still not driving the car today. I will report back.
Took the Jetta in today. No appointment, just drove into the express bay and told them the check engine light had come on. The service guy plugged his phone into the port and said there was a code but didn't know any more and told me to go in and get a loaner (a Passat Wolfsburg Edition). The bad news is they called me at work and said the EGR cooler was blocked and needed to be replaced -- $1100 dollars! Are they ripping me off? And like I told the guy on the phone who asked me what I wanted to do, "Fix it, what choice do I have". I spent the afternoon on line learning about the EGR system. It will be a few days until the part comes in but I want an explanation of why this happened immediately after they worked on my car. What is causing the blockage? The problem I always have is the mechanics are back working on the cars and unavailable to the customer. The service guys don't really know the nuts and bolts. They all might be in cahoots anyway.

Last edited by jbright; September 11th, 2017 at 22:58.
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 05:57   #34
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

Quote:
Took the Jetta in today. No appointment, just drove into the express bay and told them the check engine light had come on. The service guy plugged his phone into the port and said there was a code but didn't know any more and told me to go in and get a loaner (a Passat Wolfsburg Edition). The bad news is they called me at work and said the EGR cooler was blocked and needed to be replaced -- $1100 dollars! Are they ripping me off? And like I told the guy on the phone who asked me what I wanted to do, "Fix it, what choice do I have". I spent the afternoon on line learning about the EGR system. It will be a few days until the part comes in but I want an explanation of why this happened immediately after they worked on my car. What is causing the blockage? The problem I always have is the mechanics are back working on the cars and unavailable to the customer. The service guys don't really know the nuts and bolts. They all might be in cahoots anyway.
wait a minute!.. so you just had the fix a few days ago..right? and then you get a c.e.l...and now they say h.core is blocked?? The service guy plugged his phone into the port and said "there was a code but didn't know any more and told me to go in and get a loaner" ..give me a break get your car out of there and get a second opinion..how could they not see that a few days ago?.. was your heater working before??..I call b.s.

Last edited by forrest resto`s; September 12th, 2017 at 06:00.
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 06:10   #35
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

here's another guy with similar problem.. check it out.. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481260
forrest resto`s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 09:30   #36
jbright
Veteran Member

Thanks, forrest. I will read through that post today. I think because I just drove in without an appointment the service guy was making sure there was a code but did not want to comment any further until a mechanic had properly examined the car (I assume it was a phone, same size, but could have been another device). I'm sure they gave me a loaner immediately because I'd just been in, and I'm a long term customer. They're expensive but they've never ripped me off to my knowledge and I deal with the same people again and again. . . . . .Yes, it's suspicious that this happened a day after they worked on it. I want to be fully prepared when I go in to question them, probably on Thursday. Thanks again.
Old September 12th, 2017, 17:03   #37
2011Golf

TDI(s): 2011 Golf

Is it the heater core or EGR cooler that is a problem? I thought the EGR cooler was clearly stated as covered under the extended warranty after the fix?
2011Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 20:35   #38
jbright
Veteran Member

EGR cooler is what I was told on the phone. Do you have a link to what's covered under the extended warranty?

Last edited by jbright; September 12th, 2017 at 20:38.
Old September 12th, 2017, 20:46   #39
2011Golf

TDI(s): 2011 Golf

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en...n-1-AUT-v4.pdf

Extended warranty info is on pages 8 and 9
2011Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 21:09   #40
jbright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Golf View Post
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en...n-1-AUT-v4.pdf

Extended warranty info is on pages 8 and 9
Great! Thanks.
Old September 12th, 2017, 21:41   #41
jbright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Golf View Post
Is it the heater core or EGR cooler that is a problem? I thought the EGR cooler was clearly stated as covered under the extended warranty after the fix?
I appears you are correct.
Old September 13th, 2017, 05:44   #42
Jeffro420

Quote:
The bad news is they called me at work and said the EGR cooler was blocked and needed to be replaced -- $1100 dollars! Are they ripping me off?
Hey jbright, any update on that fix? The extended warranty covers the entire EGR system, including the EGR cooler.
I ask because I've had a P0401 (EGR flow) error code for some time, and I'm hoping that the dealership is forced to fix the error at their expense (fingers crossed). Just wondering what the outcome was! Thanks!
Jeffro420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 09:05   #43
jbright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro420 View Post
Hey jbright, any update on that fix? The extended warranty covers the entire EGR system, including the EGR cooler.
I ask because I've had a P0401 (EGR flow) error code for some time, and I'm hoping that the dealership is forced to fix the error at their expense (fingers crossed). Just wondering what the outcome was! Thanks!
No, I haven't heard from them yet. It will be interesting when I bring up the warranty coverage of the egr. Apparently, VW isn't honoring it, according to a member on another thread:

VWCC said they would not pay for any part of the cooling system. Even in this situation where the fix caused the CEL to come on. From my point of view the 4 year warranty on the fix should have covered this. Look at prior posts. The wording in the warranty is short, clear and concise.
I think it's worded that way so that the car owner is protected from the very thing that happened here. The dealer misdiagnosed the problem. If I did not catch this it would have been very costly and NOT fixed the problem.
VWCC said that they would not pay for any part of the cooling system, even if it causes the CEL to go away. Once again the wording of the warranty is very clear to me. But VW thinks otherwise. The VWCC people I spoke to did not seem to understand any technical aspects of the car.

N2UADTDI here Got the fix and now have P2457

Last edited by jbright; September 13th, 2017 at 09:45.
Old September 13th, 2017, 12:19   #44
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

The Egr system is covered under the emissions system warranty. Here there loophole. Any component which reasonably be impacted by the effects of the emissions modification.

Last edited by MonsterTDI09; September 13th, 2017 at 12:28.
MonsterTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 09:02   #45
jbright
Veteran Member

Reporting back. The code after the emissions was fix was, indeed, for egr flow. However, the service rep this morning tells me they replaced the heater core, which was clogged, and that's what resulted in the egr code. 1100 dollars. Hmmm. Anyone more knowledgeable than I am have any thoughts? I'm picking the car up this afternoon and will ask more questions.