www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 19th, 2017, 05:14   #1
showdown 42
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 touareg
Default buy back for Gen 1 TDIs?

Has anyone sold back their TREG Gen 1? What was the deal ,how much restsitution did they pay? I haven't been able to get any info. Is this still up in the air?
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 20:51   #2
Yeti35
Veteran Member

Check out the thread on Club Touareg. All sorts of info on there and yes there have been a few on that forum who sold theirs back. I am awaiting the fix and money to keep it.
Old August 20th, 2017, 15:15   #3
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Thx Yetti35, I will go there.
Old August 26th, 2017, 04:23   #4
showdown 42
Veteran Member

I am now signed up for the fix,when ever that will happen. Restitution is suppose to be 10K with my mileage level.
Old August 27th, 2017, 21:13   #5
scrubber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdown 42 View Post
I am now signed up for the fix,when ever that will happen. Restitution is suppose to be 10K with my mileage level.
8/25/17 was some sort of goal date for VW. They were expected to have a gen. 1 modification submitted by then. I've heard nothing.
scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 11:45   #6
earlthepearl
Veteran Member

SOLD! The wife's Touareg had 250,000+ miles when we sold it back to VW. Payout was just a little above $18,000. We did a trade and picked up a 2018 Tiguan SE. It's a nice vehicle, but in the wife's words, "it's not a Touareg". Perhaps we should have opted for the SEL to get some luxury features she had grown used to. Couldn't see putting down $60 K for a Touareg gasser.

Last edited by earlthepearl; August 31st, 2017 at 11:57. Reason: Added info
earlthepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 12:01   #7
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Just to rub salt in the wound... A friend of mine just picked up a 15 Q7 TDi with around 10k on it. Paid around $50 and got around $18k for his Acura MDX, so ~$32 plus tax, tag, crap...
Old September 8th, 2017, 08:11   #8
showdown 42
Veteran Member

I signed up for the fix,will get 10,500 after fix. Now the waiting game begins. Time will tell when or if they fix these cars. Mine only has 52k miles,so it is basically new.
Old September 9th, 2017, 07:34   #9
NoobyT
Veteran Member

TDI(s): N/A

Ten grand back in the bank is tempting but WAIT until you hear how others get on with the fix [if it ever comes!].

There are a lot of complaints about the 2.0 Tdi fix, especially those with auto boxes where the so-called fix beggars up the gear changes and low speed cruising with more diesel noise and poorer fuel consumption to add insult to injury.
NoobyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 03:59   #10
showdown 42
Veteran Member

VW sent a message that they will contact me when the fix is available. I'm not in any hurry. I still can't find anything i want to replace it with like the VW Treg TDI. As far as the fix goes, reports on the gen 2 seems ok so far. I may try to buy a 2016 TDI,if things work out.
Old September 13th, 2017, 11:32   #11
scrubber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdown 42 View Post
VW sent a message that they will contact me when the fix is available. I'm not in any hurry. I still can't find anything i want to replace it with like the VW Treg TDI.
my thoughts exactly. The more I look for a replacement vehicle, the more I realize how great the Touareg is. I'm even contemplating the "opt out/do nothing" position if a partial fix isn't approved.
scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2017, 11:40   #12
ECFG

Fuel Economy: 26.5 for the T-Rex; 21.67 combined for 5900 lbs of Vanagon

I just talked with VW yesterday inquiring about the timeline on the software fix. The gal I spoke with was very upfront and she stated VW is having a hard time getting the EPA/CARB to accept VW's fix for the Gen 1 Touareg's. She stated that the decision will be made in November. She also told me that IF the software fix is not accepted, then one will have to go to the buy back / trade - in / or do nothing options.
ECFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 12:46   #13
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECFG View Post
I just talked with VW yesterday inquiring about the timeline on the software fix. The gal I spoke with was very upfront and she stated VW is having a hard time getting the EPA/CARB to accept VW's fix for the Gen 1 Touareg's. She stated that the decision will be made in November. She also told me that IF the software fix is not accepted, then one will have to go to the buy back / trade - in / or do nothing options.
My guess is because they are resolved to the fact that it cannot be repaired properly. Why else would they have initially opened up the buyback without a waiting period like they have for the Gen II?

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:12   #14
TIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd1 View Post
My guess is because they are resolved to the fact that it cannot be repaired properly. Why else would they have initially opened up the buyback without a waiting period like they have for the Gen II?
It's all in the documents filed with the EPA and CARB - You guys should really read this stuff. Right out of the blocks, VW was clear that they could not bring the Gen 1 3.0L up to actual requirements that they were certified to(Tier 1 Bin 5). They said they could for Gen 2. There was no buy back for gen 2s because they thought they could meet the requirement (and they did). They were compelled to offer a buy back on anything that they cannot bring up to the level they were certified at.

EPA signed off many months ago on them modifying gen 1.1s (2009-2010) to tier 1 bin 7 and 1.2 (2011-2012) to tier 1 bin 6 (with a cash payout to compensate for the owners getting sold something that was not as advertised). There is also a buy back option since technically your LEV isn't so LEV anymore.

With the announcement of a Gen 1 2.0 TDI fix (with no urea) I am confident that the fix on the gen 1 3.0 will be an increase in DEF usage, different programming and an extended warranty on all of the emissions equip.

Read the govt docs, not the internet!

Edit - And don't believe a word VW customer service tells you!
TIG is offline   Reply With Quote