The NARFmobile, My 2001 Golf TDI

Which words in raised white letter for my tire sidewalls? See post #220 for pictures

• NARFATOMIC BLASTOMIC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NARFATOMIC BLASTOMATIC

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • NARFOMATIC ATOMIC BLAST

• NARF ATOMIC BLAST

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • NARF BLAST

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • NARFBLAST ATOMIC

• NARFOMATIC ATOMIC BLAST

• NARFATOMIC ATOMICBLAST

• NARF ATOMIC BLASTOMATIC

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • EPIC FACEPALM

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Will miss you guys on this forum, will try to continue to check in.

I just stared a blog with pictures over on the Micra forum:

I also have a running blog on the Odyssey forum:

I really do enjoy the forums.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
It sucks to see you go Paul, but it's understandable that you have to move on at some point in time if the Golf isn't as reliable as you need it to be.

It was incredible that you made it to one of my cruises/GTGs all those years ago and of course it was great getting to see you again at TDIFest in 2016.
Here are some of the pictures I have of you and your Golf.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
It sucks to see you go Paul, but it's understandable that you have to move on at some point in time if the Golf isn't as reliable as you need it to be.

It was incredible that you made it to one of my cruises/GTGs all those years ago and of course it was great getting to see you again at TDIFest in 2016.
Here are some of the pictures I have of you and your Golf.
I knew I was taking a chance driving half way around Lake Huron and Lake Michigan just to go check out your GTG, but it was a worth it. Thanks for hosting that cruise through the woods was one of the most memorable drives I have ever been on. Thanks for letting me drive your Jetta (the blue one on the far left in the second photo for everyone else) that thing was so wild, If I remember correctly I think I accidently pulled the gear knob off because I was holding on so tight. Great pictures with the NARFATOMIC BLASTOMATIC tire letters there! The last two must have been from TDIFest 2016, another great event. Thanks for that last photo, the wheels and the left rear fender look great in that one. Also the classic Tim Hortons cup on the trailer hitch and the rustic roof rack.

Great memories, good times.

edit: I cleaned up those wheels and they still look great if anyone is interested, LOL: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1589496079

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I knew I was taking a chance driving half way around Lake Huron and Lake Michigan just to go check out your GTG, but it was a worth it. Thanks for hosting that cruise through the woods was one of the most memorable drives I have ever been on. Thanks for letting me drive your Jetta (the blue one on the far left in the second photo for everyone else) that thing was so wild, If I remember correctly I think I accidently pulled the gear knob off because I was holding on so tight. Great pictures with the NARFATOMIC BLASTOMATIC tire letters there! The last two must have been from TDIFest 2016, another great event. Thanks for that last photo, the wheels and the left rear fender look great in that one. Also the classic Tim Hortons cup on the trailer hitch and the rustic roof rack.

Great memories, good times.

edit: I cleaned up those wheels and they still look great if anyone is interested, LOL: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1589496079
I'm glad you took a chance and drove the 600km to come to my cruise/GTG. I honestly was blown away that you decided to make the trip and I'm elated that you enjoyed going on the cruise of Door County, WI. I honestly forgot that you drove my Jetta once we got back from our cruise of the county. My Jetta moves pretty good after a decent number of upgrades have been done to it and I'm glad you got to experience driving a modified TDI to see what's capable with just bolt ons. I've even purchased a GTB2260VKLR to replace the aging VNT-17/22 either over winter or next spring, so it'll be even faster than when you drove it. 😊
Yeah, I never got around to cinching up the clip that holds the shift knob onto the shift shaft, so I've had people like yourself pull up on the shift knob when going to shift, only to pull it off the shift shaft mid shift. I really need to double check if that clamp ever got clipped to hold the shift knob on. :unsure:

Yep, the last two are from the 2016 TDIFest that was held in Sturgeon Bay that year. Like you mentioned they were some great memories from you coming to my cruise/GTG and then the following year at TDIFest. Even though you won't have a TDI anymore you're more than welcome to attend one of my cruises/GTGs in the future, which for the record I'm having one next Saturday, the 23rd of October.😉

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Even though you won't have a TDI anymore you're more than welcome to attend one of my cruises/GTGs in the future, which for the record I'm having one next Saturday, the 23rd of October.😉
That is awesome! I would love to take a long weekend drive in the new Micra, there is minor issue that all US border land-crossings are still closed to leisure seeking Canadians until at least November 8th: https://globalnews.ca/news/8268245/canada-u-s-land-open-nov-8-official/

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
That is awesome! I would love to take a long weekend drive in the new Micra, there is minor issue that all US border land-crossings are still closed to leisure seeking Canadians until at least November 8th: https://globalnews.ca/news/8268245/canada-u-s-land-open-nov-8-official/
I had no idea that the US/Canadian border crossings were still closed. I would have thought that they would be open by now.

Couldn't you say you were coming here on business to sell some of the parts from your Golf TDI? 🤣

There's always next year I guess. 👍😊

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I had no idea that the US/Canadian border crossings were still closed. I would have thought that they would be open by now.
It's so bizarre. Even as of November 8, we'll be able to enter the US simply with proof of double-vax. But to get back *INTO* Canada (for Canadians....who obviously proved double-vax to leave), we need that *PLUS* a negative PCR test (at $200-$300) within the 72hr. window prior to re-entering. 🤔

I hope you enjoy the Micra, @NarfBLAST - all the best!

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I have to admit.... that's the first 46s clip I've ever fallen asleep during ;)

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Been following the thread for awhile now and can honestly say im excited to get my 2013 TDI up the mileage you have. I think I've seen your car around since I lived in Burlington for quite awhile. Hate to see the car go but happy that I saw it around a couple times!

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Dang it, was in the middle of typing a huge update when I hit the wrong button.

Wanted to share that I framed my favorite photo of the TDI:

And that, in the Spring of 2022, I got a new project car:

I have restored and re-badged and registered it as a 1991 Geo Metro Convertible.

It came with Chevy Sprint badges and was also sold as a Pontiac Firefly in Canada, but the registration says Geo Metro so yeah, whatever.

It is super fun and rewarding to drive and work on.

That is all. Good times.,

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
US car? They were only sold as sprints and firefly up here.

Is it the 1L 3-banger? Rock solid but very unrefined engine.

Fun fact on these, the heaters kick. A$$. It's the same size heater core as the full hatchback version of the car, but only has to heat less than half the interior volume.

We used to call that colour Easter-egg blue.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
We used to call that colour Easter-egg blue.
Funny thing, the original blue is slightly darker but the previous owner repainted it in this lighter colour which is supposed to be closer to a Suzuki Swift "Competition Blue" of the late 80's early 90's.

US car? They were only sold as sprints and firefly up here.
Actually it was an Alberta car for most of its life wearing Chevy Sprint SL badges (and cheap Chevy mudflaps, because: Alberta?). The Alberta registration did say "Geo Metro" strangely, not sure how this came to be.

When I bought the car it had been recently painted and there were no badges attached, it came with the Chevy badges in a box.

So my choices were to "bring it back" as a Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, or Geo Metro.

I was preparing it for a Lemons Rally where they were awarding extra points for "orphaned American brands". Geo seemed to be the most fun brand to choose: it was a brand fabricated and abandoned by GM entirely in the 90's. These cars are originally Suzuki's and made in Japan so no matter what you call them over here they are having an identity crisis. I figured GEO Metro was the most unique and fun name. It won "organizers choice" at the rally.

Is it the 1L 3-banger? Rock solid but very unrefined engine.
Yes 55hp. It feels like it is missing a cylinder from idle to about 2000rpm but then it pulls nicely all the way to red line. Fun to drive with the 5 speed manual, it is not fast, but it is rewarding to drive when properly wrung out. Handling is goofy yet surprisingly tight and predictable with its short wheel base and four wheel independent suspension yet lack of sway bars. At the 2022 Detroit Concours D'Lemons we ironically won the "Slightly Better Than a Go Kart" trophy.

Fun fact on these, the heaters kick. A$$. It's the same size heater core as the full hatchback version of the car, but only has to heat less than half the interior volume.
Yes, it will heat the interior even with the top down! It was great when the sun would go down you didn't have to put the top up on crisp evenings. It is absolutely no fun drive with the top up there are so many rattles and squeaks and wind noise around the windows, and leaks. The top is for emergencies only. It is currently parked for the winter to keep it out of the salt.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Mum had the older carbureted Chevy Sprint ( the squared off one from about '86). Had a chance to compare it to a Geo Metro with EFI version of same engine - not impressed. Older engine had better fuel consumption numbers and much peppier to drive. It would easily light up the tires for a big smokey burn out. Only downside was about 70/75mph it stopped pulling like it hit a brick wall. The newer engine was smoother and slightly more refined, but tighter emissions means it actually had worse fuel consumption. It definitely did not pull as strong.

Jason

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Mum had the older carbureted Chevy Sprint ( the squared off one from about '86). Had a chance to compare it to a Geo Metro with EFI version of same engine - not impressed. Older engine had better fuel consumption numbers and much peppier to drive. It would easily light up the tires for a big smokey burn out. Only downside was about 70/75mph it stopped pulling like it hit a brick wall. The newer engine was smoother and slightly more refined, but tighter emissions means it actually had worse fuel consumption. It definitely did not pull as strong.

Jason
I wonder if that later model you drove was '96 or later with OBDII? I've heard that the switch to OBDII killed some of the performance and fuel economy.

I've cruised at 90mph happily on a flat stretch of highway, top down, wearing ear plugs. The temperature guage did climb near to the red tho. I won't bother investigating that. Not interested in tuning, just enjoying it for what it is.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Well, the Sprint sold in US was the older square body style and I have driven other cars that vintage with same speed restriction (by design or chance).

The later rounded body style is when we got the Metro in US. And about (if not exactly) that time is when the EFI model replaced the carb. To be fair we never did try for how fast the EFI model would go, just noticed acceleration was noticeably slower.

Jason

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Well, the Sprint sold in US was the older square body style and I have driven other cars that vintage with same speed restriction (by design or chance).

The later rounded body style is when we got the Metro in US. And about (if not exactly) that time is when the EFI model replaced the carb. To be fair we never did try for how fast the EFI model would go, just noticed acceleration was noticeably slower.

Jason
My first car was a 1990 Geo Metro 2 door (the EFI one). Acceleration was about as fast as a squirrel hoards nuts. You really had to plan your passing maneuvers in advance! Tweaking ignition timing forward by a few degrees, by feel only, made a pretty big difference though, but fuel economy went from 45 mpg average to 37/38.