for the truly paranoid

famous

Veteran Member
I always park my NB TDI up against a wall,nose in,and take a plastic bag and cover over the tailpipe.
I learned to be like this worrying about everything else around here.
Life is simpler with a BUICK !!!!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Wouldn't it be more logical to worry about water raining down the exhaust while stopped?

Not gonna worry ... not gonna worry... (fingers in ears) LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA .. not gonna worry...

------------------
Always interested in steep & deep.
Ski resorts closed! Break out the cameras and fly rod ...

TDIsmokin

Veteran Member
That's it. That is REALLY over the top.
Gimme a break!!!!!!!Too much wind in your turbo cause of the wind!!!!!!!smoke on sir,smoke on.....

------------------
TDIsmokin
Claude

I am an elitist. I drive a TDI!!

ENUTPEN8

Veteran Member
actually, dirtmvr,
Whilst keeping your house under surveillence recently, I noticed a platoon of forty highly-trained paranoid snoops, in the employ of some offshore gub-mint agency, putting cameras, microphones, and thought-stealing machines all over your grounds--and I don't mean coffee!!!
Check your chimney AND your tailpipe...never know who might have planted what, where.
What might LOOK like an innocent potato (or is that p-o-t-a-t-o-e, hmmmm??) stuffed up your tailpipe by some well-meaning spy, I mean passerby, only wishing to keep your turbo from spooling without any oil circulating around it, could actually be a miniature spying device from another galaxie. Or even a Galaxie 500, with a 390...know what I mean?? Hmmmmm???
And remember, if you THINK paranoids are watching you, they have probably planted those thoughts in your mind via the radio IN YOUR VERY CAR!!!!! I suggest you rip the beast out by its roots and throw it in the nearest fast-moving body of water, aka a river.
Wearing an aluminum-foil helmet will also help guard against these intrusions.
You might want to talk with someone about your obsession with bulldozer exhaust stacks...particularly if they have those little tiltie covers on them!!

Stay tuned for more valuable feedback! Remember, paranoids are always watching you!! Driveon...NickatNight

------------------
1999 green/tan A4 Golf GLS TDI automatic, lux., K&N, Bilstein HD.

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen
I doubt seriously that enough vacuum could be pulled to effect the turbo through about 10 feet of tubing or more! Have you ever wondered why a snorkel couldn't be made more that a couple feet long? Even a perfect vacuum will only pull a column of water 33 feet up.

------------------
Jack from Anaheim
'70 Convertible VW Bug.
'00 Silver NB TDI Auto.

M

mickey

Wow. This is really sick. Get professional help!

-mickey

dirtmvr

Veteran Member
I know I risk banishment from the forums for this thought, but here goes anyway. The other day I was looking at a bulldozer exhaust stack, remembering how I used to cover them with plastic and duct tape when I moved them down the highway on a lowbed to prevent the turbos from spinning/freewheeling due to the wind- but without oil because the engine would not be running. This was standard practice for any of these machines being moved. Then when I was walking up to my NB to go home with the wind howling straight towards the back of the car, my paranoid and twisted mind wondered if these little engines would ever suffer from the same problem the big diesels did with the wind making the turbo freewheel. Now I can't imagine this happening, with all the twists, mufflers and pipes, but I thought I would pass this delusion on to you all since you kindly passed the paranoias of synthetic oil, timing belts and fuel quality on to me!! With any luck, you'll all be watching which way the wind is blowing and will be parking straight into the wind.

S

SkyPup

That is exactly why I always shut down my TDI and then walk around and stuff a huge Idaho potatoe into my TT exhaust!
It also prevents snakes and other curious critters from becoming instant mush on start-up too.

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm paranoid and you would be if they were after you.

I could understand plugging up the exhaust when transporting a machine many miles at 70 mph. I dont think I would worry about the occasional breeze or gust that MIGHT go up your tail pipe...uh...car's tail pipe.

------------------
Gregor Switca

Torque is a beautiful thing.

S

SkyPup

What am I going to do now? Charter has just filled for Chapter 11 and has closed their doors and laid off all the cute nurses and psychologists? If you can't get help from Charter, then please please get help somewhere!!
LOL

BTW, I ordered a wind speed indicator from Oregon Scientific to wire into the Jetta's OBDII to notify me with a DCT if there has been any windspeed over 25 mph since the last time I cranked up the engine. If I find there has been a burst of wind over 25 mph, I'll just call VWoA for a free diagnostic tow to the shop for an anal retentive inspection of the turbo bearings!

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
WHOA... what are you smoking? I've heard some stories about those backyard gardens in B.C. My advice: Wait until you come down in about 5 hours, have a coffee and re-evaluate the situation. LOL :p

------------------
Ryan

1999 New Jetta GL TDI
Atlantic blue w/gray

My other car is a Specialized Stumpjumper.

[This message has been edited by ThinkDiesel (edited June 07, 2000).]

badger

Veteran Member
Dirtmvr, I understand your concern about wind-driven turbos. Years ago I heard of farm tractors that arrived from the factory with worn-out turbos from being trucked cross-country with open stacks. But I seriously doubt anything like that could happen with a TDI.

I love the humor of this group. If it were not for that, a prospective owner like me would get way too worried about all the things that could go wrong with a TDI to even want one. (Or end up in a nut pen?)

(An aside -- there is a high school in Idaho with the long-time mascot, "Maniacs". The town is home to a state mental institution and has refused to change the mascot just for political correctness.)

[This message has been edited by badger (edited June 07, 2000).]

Bill Sage

This discussion is H I L A R I O U S ! Would anyone like a tailpipe cover? They come in all sizes and all colors. You can get one at any VDub dealership. Call to place your order first so that they will have time to greet you with men in white at the door. Be sure to get one with the flag on it so that you don't forget to remove it before you start up and drive off.

dirtmvr

Veteran Member
Back off Bill, the ideas mine! I've been secretly developing a quick release exhaust pipe cover linked to a dash switch which is flipped prior to firing up. It is timed so that it won't open until a pressurized oil resevoir tank plumbed to the turbo bearings has a chance to get oil pressure up first.
I've also plumbed the pressure tank to dispense me 2oz of Glenmorangie on days when the temperature is below 0 deg. to help sooth my mind about lubrication on a cold start up. See what you've done to me??

ENUTPEN8

Veteran Member
TDIsmokin, I'd hoped someone would break my ultra-top secret enigma code, but alas...an ENUTPEN8=Neptune, the 8th planet, my favorite vacation spot.
I thought Maine-iacs were folks who lived on the planet next to New Hampshah...who eat lobstahs and go out to sea in bo'-ats. And didn't they originate the Moose test??? Ayuuh.
Driveon...NickatNight

------------------

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I have the solution! Go to your local pharmacy and buy a box of prophylactics. Stretch one over each of your tailpipes before you park the car for the night. That way you'll be practicing safe motoring!

John Rumble

Veteran Member
ENUTPEN8 I think for alittle while longer neptune is the 9th planet and pluto is the 8th. I think they get back to normal in late August. Also I don't know why they just taught my little girl there are nine planets, last I heard there were atleast 12.

[This message has been edited by John Rumble (edited June 08, 2000).]

N Dennis

Veteran Member
Go out to an airport on a windy day and walk around the jet aircraft and listen to those engines freewheel in the wind. Overhauls for those turbines will set their owners back 200,000-300,000 or more each and they dont lose sleep over it.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Nick, you've outdone yourself---I always knew you were a gaseous giant
!

Badger, I can't stop LMAO!!! That's why we put chips and TBs in our TDIs.

------------------

ENUTPEN8

Veteran Member
John R, Uh, WHICH solar system were you referring to? And God knows what sort of propaganda the vast left-wing cornspiracy is teaching the childrens in school now...
dp., just because we had Boston Baked Beans two nights strait? jeez.
Driveon...NickatNight

------------------

Badger...
That was good... This is probably the best part of the forum, it can be funny as hell and informative...

ENUTPEN8
Pluto and Neptune do swap places in orbit. They will never collide because the orbit planes are different.

rotorhead

Veteran Member
wow!

If I had know how many truely paranoid types we had here at Freds, I would have been marketing my custom-designed-cosmic-ray-proof-mind-control beam-deflection helmets months ago!

FWIW, the reason that you often hear those jet turbines clinking as they turn over in the breeze is because the turbine blades are loose. The blades are held onto the hubs by fir-tree keyholes, and centrifugal force and heat expansion hold them in place when operating.

------------------
'00 New Beetle TDI ! Silver/Black/Lux
'85 GTI beater, qtr. million miles+