Just ordered a 2015 GSW TDI SE 6MT White/Beige w/ LP, should be here in 1-2 weeks!

bitshoptyler

TDI
'91 Mercedes 350SDL, '01 Jetta (Sold)
Just put $500 down today on a 2015 TDI SE 6MT White/Beige with a lighting package. I was going to order a 2016 model but decided I didn't want to wait, and a very similar model from another dealer with a black interior didn't go through (dealer tried to swap for one in PA, the other guys wanted to sell it themselves.) I don't like the black as much, anyway, but was going to 'settle' for it. Didn't care about something beeping at you when you're about to hit something, especially with a backup camera standard :)

I know I'll miss out on the Active Cruise Control for the 2016s, and the better radio (which I hope can be retrofitted), but I didn't want to wait until December to order, or have to order without knowing what was on the car (or the final price.)

Ended up getting $31.5k out the door; I probably could've gotten a little less (I wanted $31k to order one, but this one has the mud flaps, nice mats, and something or another else) but I'm happy with it.

Also planning on a 45-35% tint all-around. I'll post pictures as soon as it arrives!

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
31,500 for an SE manual with light package?

Isnt that a bit excessive? MSRP on that car should be under 30K with manual and light pack. I'd check those numbers.

FYI I just paid ~29,500 for an SEL DSG with light package saturday at Radley. <was just a shade over 31.1K out the door all in> (plus tax, tags and 495 doc) in Northern Virginia. Not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to make sure you dont get hosed by some dealer.

It sounds like you might be paying over MSRP. And july 4th weekend? On a 2015? VW has dealer cash right now (gives them more room to discount - I dont know WHAT the dealer cash is, but its usually significant on the june promo period due to 2016's) and 0.9% financing.

This IS a wagon, right? If its a golf sedan, then you are REALLY getting hosed.

Caveat Emptor.

bitshoptyler

TDI
Wagon, yeah. I basically just wanted it ASAP (I listed my 2001 BMW on eBay a few days before buying and it'll probably sell tomorrow.)

Unfortunately because of the other dealer not shipping it down, I didn't end up getting ASAP,and this one is $500 more OTD than the last one (I came up $500 for the mats, guard, etc. instead of negotiating very hard on it.) They're giving me a loaner free for a week or two if I sell my current car, which I consider makes up the 'difference'.

I could've gotten it cheaper if I ordered one, and could've gotten a better deal if I went with an SEL (easier to find loaded), but I didn't really want the extra features. I'm paying to get it quickly, or have a loaner in the meantime.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Just put $500 down today on a 2015 TDI SE 6MT White/Beige with a lighting package. I was going to order a 2016 model but decided I didn't want to wait, and a very similar model from another dealer with a black interior didn't go through (dealer tried to swap for one in PA, the other guys wanted to sell it themselves.) I don't like the black as much, anyway, but was going to 'settle' for it. Didn't care about something beeping at you when you're about to hit something, especially with a backup camera standard :)

I know I'll miss out on the Active Cruise Control for the 2016s, and the better radio (which I hope can be retrofitted), but I didn't want to wait until December to order, or have to order without knowing what was on the car (or the final price.)

Ended up getting $31.5k out the door; I probably could've gotten a little less (I wanted $31k to order one, but this one has the mud flaps, nice mats, and something or another else) but I'm happy with it.

Also planning on a 45-35% tint all-around. I'll post pictures as soon as it arrives!
White/Beige looks very nice together...I was going for black interior at first as well, but really enjoy the contrast the interior has with beige (more like stone to me) vs being all black. I guess my taste have changed, but I did not enjoy the SEL interior at all (too much black), the seats are great, but the interior was blacked out with no contrasting colors other then the stitching on the seats (shinny black trim? really?). The quartz looked worse imho than the all blacked out SEL, being they didnt do anything to really make the interior pop over the S and SE, its just a seat cover w/ quartz color in the center over black SEL. The trimming on the S and SE really belongs in the SEL to give it a nice pop...the "beige" was hard to find on the lot (my dealers didnt have regular golfs in it either), but I went with it after looking at some beetles with the "beige"...Interior is very neutral with enough contrast to give it a pop (black carpet, leather shifter, brushed trim, black dash)...Looks great together, and always commented on when people take a ride for the first time. WOW..nice interior!

Last edited:

Borsig

TDI
You didnt sit in the seats much, did you? If you think the seats in the SEL are just upgraded covers, you are very, very mistaken.

VW needs to ditch the cornsilk, and go to a natural tanned leather color. but - one man's opinion.

bitshoptyler

TDI
I sat in them some, but didn't particularly like them any more. If you're talking about the additional bolstering in some seats, I actually preferred the flatter ones. I'm not getting the car for performance, and having a W126 S-Class and an E38 7-series before this, I like the 'cruising' seats.

bil

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL, traded 2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
The seats in the 2015 Golf Sportwagen S model are crap, the worst seat I have ever been in. The car will test drive fine but when you ride for an hour you will see that it has no support. VW has let us all down putting such a seat in their car. This will go down as one of their biggest mistakes once the word gets out. I had to return the car after one day and an hour trip, upgraded to the SEL. Seat is much better in the SEL but I still prefer the seat that was in my 2010 TDI SW.

Last edited:

SpecialTest

TDI
'15 GSW TDI S
The seats in the 2015 Golf Sportwagen S model are crap, the worst seat I have ever been in. The car will test drive fine but when you ride for an hour you will see that it has no support. VW has let us all down putting such a seat in their car. This will go down as one of their biggest mistakes once the word gets out. I had to return the car after one day and an hour trip, upgraded to the SEL. Seat is much better in the SEL but I still prefer the seat that was in my 2010 TDI SW.
I've spent many hours in them, and they are quite supportive. I've also spent quite a bit of time in a '11 SJW and they certainly looked better (I'm not a huge fan of the new stitching/cutting patterns) but aren't that much different.

I do like the SEL seats better, but certainly not enough that it was worth a ~$4,000+ and a sunroof I didn't want.

I'm not sure what you are ranting about.

Borsig

TDI
If you are an "S" shopper the the SEL seats will not appeal to you.

Seats in the 2011 JSW are far better looking, and feelign than the new S/SE seats. The S / SE seats arent in the same league as the SEL seats however.

Different strokes for different people. I would have kept my 2011 and drove it into the ground before buying an S, or SE. The SEL, now that's what sold me.

bil

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL, traded 2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
Seat Option causes pain, real pain.

The reason my rant was so harsh was because of a first hand experience with buying the S model and finding the unexpected problem with the seat. I have owned many VW over the years and one thing I could always count on was a good seat, but this seat design must have been the result of extensive cost cutting or playing to the American market. It is good to hear that someone is comfortable with the seat, and I wish you the best. It might be the difference in our body types such as build, weight, nerve and blood passageway, etc. I had a very bad experience with pain in my legs and buttocks after just sitting for one hour, which was not the case with my 2010 VW TDI SW. Like you I did not want the glass top feature but had to settle for the only option to get an acceptable seat, SEL. This was a costly mistake on my part, I only owned the S for less than 24 hours and only put 200 miles on it. The only resolution given was to trade it in for a new SEL, which was a loss for me. (Want to know the value of the car you just purchased, ask for the trade in value.) Lesson learned, somehow drive a new model for a day before purchase and don't count on VW to deliver in the future the same quality product as they did in the past. It is obvious that VW is trying to master the American middle car market, and they should but knowing this I should have done better research. The car is very nice and meets my expectation in all other ways, just wish they would offer more seat options at the lower price point. The GTI manual adjust cloth seat would be a good lower cost option. TDI Club should have a thread just for seats, it would be good the hear more feedback.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
First off, congrats on your soon to be new car. I think you did ok. I was at $31,677.31 out the door including everything. I have a SEL with Lighting package 6MT and TDI of course. They only charged me $134 document fee. LOL! I'm sure this varies state to state. I put $500 down to secure the “order” when I placed mine 2/25/2015. It was built 3/11, and delivered to our dealer 4/25…

Seats: SEL was what won me over too. I just came back from a 900 mile round trip to Canada and back and the best seats I’ve ever spent 7+ hours each way in. Wife and I were impressed. Great feeling getting out of a car after a long trip and not beat up.