blower motor issues

xltsp8

TDI
04 Jetta
hello everyone took my blower motor out because it would stop working after a minute or so on all speeds even full speed...if i put the motor directly onto the battery it spins fine...the switch seems to work fine?? is my resistor pack bad or my blower motor...spins freely i can hear brushes ticking on first 3 speeds...thx everybody!

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Just did one of these.

From what I understood:
If the resistor pack is bad, the fan will only work on full speed as there is no resistor required for full speed.

Have a look at the brushes, mine were almost completely down. It might be the case where you get enough voltage directly to the battery but when it has to travel through the entire car, it's not enough to spin anymore. They are spring loaded and should stick out a bit. If they are leaning in, chances are your brushes are toast.

Lubricate the bearings with some spray as best you can. It's worth a shot.

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
hello everyone took my blower motor out because it would stop working after a minute or so on all speeds even full speed...
Last year my blower started doing the exact same thing. Because it would quit working on all speeds, I suspected the brushes. Pulled the blower, and inspection showed the brushes were history.

Picked up a genuine VW (not after market) on E-bay from a salvage yard for $40 in near new condition.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
I agree your best bet for a replacement blower, cost vs. quality, is a used vw one.
When you test the blower by hooking it directly to the battery you're getting waaaaay more amps than using the in-car circuit, so be wary, this does not truly indicate the blower is OK.
Don't forget about the thermal fuse on the resistor pack.
See this link for a bit more info....
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375145

xltsp8

TDI
04 Jetta
so i bought a used oem blower motor installed it and now it runs on 1 2 and 3 just fine after a minute or 2 on speed 4 it stops working...hooked it up to the voltmeter on the resistor pack right at the thermal fuse...when i first turn it on 4 it pulls 13.4V once the motor starts slowing down the voltage rises to 14.1 then finally the blower turns off??

cidades

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4 >> AHF(81kW)
How is your cabin air filter? It could be restricting too much air, the blower motor heats up and cuts out.

xltsp8

TDI
04 Jetta
cabin filter replaced last fall...i tried running it with it off same result