O.C.TDI's collection of Dyno's

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
I have been collecting dyno's for my car since the build was completed. I am going to put all of them here. I have tested on 3 different dyno's.
These are all done with the same base engine.
2.0L BEW with 18.4:1 comp. ratio, Ported head, GTB2260vk, custom piping, etc. Here is a link to the "Build Thread"

I will start with the first one. DynoJet at PSI
Pd 150 injectors, stock BEW cam, 3" exhaust to axle w/2.5"over the axle back with Borla muffler. Static timing +.05

Second trip.
R783's, Tune revision for new injectors, Colt cams st.2, 3" turbo back exhaust w/Aero Turbine 3030xl muffler. Static timing +.05
On this trip the number 1 injector was misfiring due to a faulty solenoid.

Third trip.
Same setup as second trip, same tune, number 1 injector was repaired. Static timing +.05

Forth trip.
This was done at a truck dyno day on the same model DynoJet as the previous ones but at a different location. They were using eddy current instead of inertia, but they had the load brake set for RWD and could not load the dyno up for my FWD. The HP was right were I figured the stock head would be but since they couldn't load the car the torque seemed really low.
Same Tune
Changes: The ported head was swapped for a used stock pd130 head. Heavily soiled A/F. Also this is the only dyno that I was not able to have a fan on the I/C. Static timing -1.0

Fifth trip, 3 weeks later
This was done on a Mustang eddy current dyno.
I did about 15 pulls.
I believe this dyno reads crazy high. The numbers are cool but I find them completely out of the realm of reality. On the flip side I have never been able to load the engine like I was able to here.
Same tune
Nothing changed from the Forth trip.
With a heavily soiled air filter. Static timing -1.0

Peak = 352whp 519wtq
With the filter element removed.

Peak = 399whp 602wtq

I will be going into my normal dyno shop this week to get some more data to validate the stock head vs. the old ported head.
So what do y'all think about 400/600 wheel from a D2 only, daily driven commuter car.;):D

Last edited:

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Trip 6:
Back to my normal dyno and operator. These runs mimic trip 4 at the dyno day in post 1.
This is the validating run for a stock head vs. my old ported head with stock valves.
Same tune and hardware aside from the head.
Static timing= -1.0*

Ported Head w/stock valves= 248whp/433wtq
Stock head= 230whp/366wtq a loss of 18whp and 67wtq

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
wow..the 440tq/268HP numbers look totally solid! maybe even the 450/287 numbers. Whats your thoughts on the variances? HP still going in a significant upward trend after 4400RPM....your car must be really sitting you back in the seat!:D

Where are you at with the injection duration? Is it pretty much sitting at max usable duration, or is there a bit more? What was the smoke situation?

This is a great thread.:cool:

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The 440/268 and 450/287 are averages from those two runs, however I find them believable for peak power. I don't know what to think of the variations, I know that load will greatly affect how the engine builds power, but it still seems wicked high to me. That is why I will continue to collect real data on the PSI dyno that has been the most realistic and consistent.
I just have had a few opportunities lately to play on some different dyno's. I will probably use the Mustang more and more for tuning and playing around since I get to hang out and play with all the functions of the dyno, and I made 15 pulls over 1.5-2 hours for $75, and the owner said we can have a couple days on it for free if we come hang out and help with re-greasing the dyno. :D
Highest EGT's I noticed were right at 1600*f, smoke was not too bad during the pulls, it got better once the dirty a** air filter came off. It did smoke like crazy in one of the super loaded runs, WOT at 2000 rpm maintaining speed with insane load on the dyno.
We did make an inertia pull on the Mustang as well and the line looked a lot more like my typical plot, but the numbers were still on the higher side of what I was expecting.

0-60 times in a FWD TDI are difficult to get with any accuracy. The engine is not able to build much load since 0-60 would be done 1st gear through 3rd gear. Plus its a battle for traction more than a test of acceleration. a 50-110 would be a much more realistic test.
My 1/4mi times are skewed due to the 2.3 60' time. With the 2.3 I can get to 80.3mph at 9.36 in the 1/8mi.

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I will look into running my typical inertia pulls at PSI this week and maybe I can do some eddy current testing on it to see if the numbers change drastically with a controllable load. That should help validate things a bit more.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
We did make an inertia pull on the Mustang as well and the line looked a lot more like my typical plot, but the numbers were still on the higher side of what I was expecting.
With your approach, it will all get sorted out I am sure. We would all love to hear that we are being too conservative in our expectations from TDI set-ups. :D

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
yeah a 400 horse TDI would likely not be a 13 or 14 sec ET! 600wtq would surely lunch axles if you hooked with slicks

take it to the max. get some crazy Firads in there then juice it up with some N20 :D

cheeba

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Audi TT 225
Great dynos - thanks for all the work! These 250wHP dynos are tempting me to come back to diesel :)

I think trap speeds are the best judge of real-world power. Traction plays a rather insignificant role, and there are many, many people running 1/4 miles for comparison. ET and 0-60 mean next to nothing - I could turn a better ET in a 4-cylinder Camry on All-Seasons than my Grandma could in my car :D

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Lol. Not right now, im building my pd motor right now. Also remember I wouldn't have had my gtb2260 installed in time for fest if it weren't for Travis efforts....... :)
Im hoping I'll
Have #s close to Travis's when im done, despite being 1.9l still.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Lol. Not right now, im building my pd motor right now. Also remember I wouldn't have had my gtb2260 installed in time for fest if it weren't for Travis efforts....... :)
Im hoping I'll
Have #s close to Travis's when im done, despite being 1.9l still.
The cross sectional area difference leaves only 3.7% on the table, so that would work out to 10-15HP ,depending on what numbers you want to see as the target. (assuming same boost, fuel, AFR and head efficiency) Sounds pretty close. :)

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I went back and added today's newest numbers in post 2.

Here is the printout
This is Trip 3 versus Trip 6

New head is being worked on now.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Sheesh... under the curve these numbers are superb. Both torque and hp peak early and stay nice and flat. Great for a diesel. You break 200hp @ around 2400 and at 4k your'e still above 300 ft/lbs. I'm not used to seeing that on the ALH dyno's I've seen. Now I see why Justin is building a PD... :cool:

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Sheesh... under the curve these numbers are superb. Both torque and hp peak early and stay nice and flat. Great for a diesel. You break 200hp @ around 2400 and at 4k your'e still above 300 ft/lbs. I'm not used to seeing that on the ALH dyno's I've seen. Now I see why Justin is building a PD... :cool:
It's in the fueling IMO. Rotaries just don't have the fueling options to make that kind of power streetably...

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
It's in the fueling IMO. Rotaries just don't have the fueling options to make that kind of power streetably...
With a 4bt and large holes + big turbine surely 300+ is possible with a rotary

Not sure if gtb2260 on a VE will make that kind of curve even with 12 or 14mm head