Accidentally put dyed off-road diesel.

mxpxer41

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Hello. I am a newbie. I have a 2006 VW Jetta TDI w/27,000 miles on it. I went to fill my car up today with B20 BioDiesel and there are two pumps. One has a small sign that says BioDiesel and the other has a very smll sign that says "Dyed Off-Road Diesel". So I accidentally put 3.5 gallons of the dyed off-road diesel in my Jetta. I found out that there are 2 types of off-road: type 1 and type 2. Type 1, I was told is catastrophic for my car and would have to get $400 worth f repairs. The stuff I put in this morning was not type 1 but type 2. I immediately called the dealership and they said that because it was such a small amount that I would be ok. I finished filling it up with BioDiesel and made my merry way to work. My question is: Am I cool with that little bit in my car? My wife and I are going on a big trip (1,500 miles) next week into SW Colorado. I should be good for that right? Thanks in advance for your courtesy in not being too hard on a newbie. BE GENTLE! Peace.

rydogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
mxpxer41, you'll be fine. Worst case is that the type 1 has a higher sulpher content (better lubricity). Worse for polution but better but that's about it I think...

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
If you put in #1 diesel (which is essentially kerosene), what you have in your tank now is just like winterized #2 (which is #2 mixed with #1).

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Oh Im tellin - you are in big trouble - the FDT has been notified - the fine is 10k or 10 years or both - your car will dissolve and deport itself to Mexico.

:):):)

It would not even cripple a 09 let alone a 06 you are fine. Watch the BIO is limited to 5% by VW . Good Luck.

mxpxer41

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
phwewwww! Thanks for being so helpful everyone. My anxiety is going down and I am feeling better. Thanks for the help and everything. I hope that when I become a veteran I can help people like you have. One question: does VW really void the warranty if I use B20 biodiesel? Just curious because I have heard many mixed things.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
The simple act of using it does not magically invalidate the warranty, but *IF* your car were to experience some sort of engine problem, and you went to the dealer to have it repaired under warranty, the dealer can turn around and say "Sorry, this engine problem was caused by your using an incorrect fuel (b20) so we can repair it but YOU will have to pay for it".

That said, many folks here* have a lot of happy motoring miles on B20 with no issues whatsoever, but you do it "at your own risk".

* We run our two '96 Passat TDI's, '03 Jetta TDI, and '97 MB E300d exclusively on B20 fuel.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
aja8888 said:
A good thing do do is to not put "I use bio-diesel" stickers on your bumper or windows.:D
x2 on that. That's like begging the service department to red flag your account.

Don't have any stupid biodiesel stickers & don't even say the word "biodiesel" when talking with a dealer employee.

tdisky

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (hers)
Now just hold on there a minute, pardner

My TDI has been almost *festooned* with biodiesel stickers, from a couple of weeks since new. And yes, I took it into the dealer that way, loaded for bear. I asked them about biodiesel in general, and they said they had no opinion either way. No problems, but I had a pin-hole fuel leak, which they fixed under warranty with no complaints. At first I thought "Heeere we go" but they didn't say anything about the fuel type.

That said, it's probably best to leave the bio stickers off until the warranty's up, unless you're pals with the service manager (I'm not).

One more thing. If something is wrong with the car, they have to have good reason to deny your warranty based on biodiesel use. So, if your windshield wipers stop working, they can't blame it on the fuel.

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
tdisky said:
One more thing. If something is wrong with the car, they have to have good reason to deny your warranty based on biodiesel use. So, if your windshield wipers stop working, they can't blame it on the fuel.
Remember though, you just gave them a very good reason to deny your warranty on almost any issue you could possibly have from the fuel cap to the exhaust header and possibly beyond.

And prior to that no reason existed at all.

(Of course I live in Northern Illinois where it looks like ALL diesel is at least B11, whether we like it or not)

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
If you had 5% bio or zero percent bio in your tank, and you had a fuel-related problem, VW would not cover it. No car company covers damage that is caused by misfueling. If you put gasoline in your TDI, VW will not cover the damage. If you put diesel in a Honda, they will not cover the damage. If you get 1/2 a tank of water, VW will not cover the damage.

The question is: "Will biodiesel hurt my TDI?"

The answer is generally "no."

Bad fuel of any kind will hurt your TDI. If the bio is good quality, and you use the proper blend for the ambient temperatures, your car will run just fine on it.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
naturist said:
what McBrew said!
Why would you even bother posting if that is all you are going to say?
:confused:

mxpxer41

Where are you located? I see Colorado, but where at specifically, I think I might know what station you did this at.... LOL

heno

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI '03
lupin..the..3rd said:
x2 on that. That's like begging the service department to red flag your account.

Don't have any stupid biodiesel stickers & don't even say the word "biodiesel" when talking with a dealer employee.
Better yet....don't ever take your car to the dealer. Find a local TDI guru to help you maintain the car and learn to do your own oil/filter changes. Most of the general maintenance up to the dreaded timing belt change can be done by anyone with a set of common hand tools.

Save the dealer and warranty for catastrophic engine/transmission failures. JMO
Mike

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat
the FDT has been notified - the fine is 10k or 10 years or both
If you send me the 10 grand now, I'll do the 10 years for you if it comes up. :D

Happens all the time, you'll be fine.

And taking it to a guru instead of a dealer is excellent advice, worth doing. Most dealers don't know squat about these cars.

bakdoor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2006 Jetta (gone), 1999 Jetta-blue (gone,) 1999 Jetta-green (gone)
OK, somewhat of a sidebar question here: if you do put dyed diesel or heating oil into your tank and run it (I know, illegal and all) --what happens to the dye? Does it foul anything up? Will it stain or clog the fuel filter? Or does it just burn up in the combustion process? I've often wondered what happens to it in the furnace and in my garage heater (I know, I'm a nerd for thinking about things like that), like why it doesn't run the combustion process afoul...
Any thoughts on this? TIA!

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
It should show up in the fuel filter. I haven't tried and I am not encouraging that anyone break the law but I have heard that like all dye's you can get dyed diesel to "fade"/Disappear by leaving the fuel in the sun.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
bakdoor said:
OK, somewhat of a sidebar question here: if you do put dyed diesel or heating oil into your tank and run it (I know, illegal and all) --what happens to the dye? Does it foul anything up? Will it stain or clog the fuel filter? Or does it just burn up in the combustion process? I've often wondered what happens to it in the furnace and in my garage heater (I know, I'm a nerd for thinking about things like that), like why it doesn't run the combustion process afoul...
Any thoughts on this? TIA!
Think about this: Lots and lots of off road equipment runs on dyed diesel fuel.

Fencemaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp; 2009 JSW TDI 6sp
I left a 5 gallon yellow container of dyed off-road diesel near the door of our barn for about 2 months while the farm tractor was broken down and therefore not using any fuel. Anyway, the container got about 8 hours of direct sunlight every day and when I went to put it into the tractor, it wasn't red anymore.

So, I'd say that milehighassassin is right about the dye fading out in sunlight.

lost1wing

Veteran Member
TDI
2003, 2003, 2002, 2000 ,2000
Leaving two gallons of fuel around here by a barn for two months will cause it to turn clear and weigh about 14lbs lighter. HEE HEE.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
^^^ LOL. I have friends that don't use anything BUT offroad in their trucks. I keep telling them they're playing with fire but they don't care!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I recently signed up for the local biofuels Coop. (I know, very commie of me) And I got to talking about the offroad fuel that they sell. The stuff they sell is LSD. But the last time I looked at the off-raod fuel supplier invoice at work, they were selling us ULSD.

So, don't assume that because it's red, it's LSD or ULSD. Different suppliers provide different stuff.

mxpxer41

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for all of their great input. Here is my next question: I am due for a tune-up fairly soon. Do I tell them about this mishap and have or do I just let them find it for themselves. I am afraid that if I tell them, then "everything from the hinge from the pistons to the hinge on the glove compartment" will be affected by this minor mistake. What should I do? Also, I fear that if I tell them, they will also find out I am using B20 and void any repairs that may need to be made. Thanks again.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
WHOA!!!!!!!

Are you saying that you are going to take it to the dealer and tell them you need a "tune-up"? If so, be sure to bring a big jar of Vaseline because they will bend you over hard and you will want that lube.

Flush the dealer and find someone else local that knows your cars needs and wants to take care of you. You do NOT need to have any service done at the dealer to get screwed on warranty.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Fill up a gerry-can with non-dyed fuel just in case, run this tank of fuel as close to empty as you dare, dump in the gerry-can and run that as close to empty as you dare, then fill up the tank with clear diesel and quit worrying.