Took the TDI To Dealership (loose exhaust?)

TurboTaco

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Hi everyone.

Been lurking the forum for a while, but first post.
First of all, wish I hadn't read how much people paid for their TDI's. Seems like I paid a lot haha!

Anyways, I bought the car with ~27k miles almost one year ago! Time flies.
At ~38k miles I got a flashing glow plug light and a solid CEL.
Went to my local parts store, had the guy scan the code so that I could feel prepared once I decided to drop off the vehicle at the dealership.

They used some Bosch reader. Codes were:
P246E: Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor
9326: No DTC definition found.
2214: No DTC definition found.

I took the car to the dealer in the morning. They called me back saying that yes it was the Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor that needed replacing. This means the $110 diagnostic fee was covered since the fix is convered under warranty.
He then said my exhaust had become misaligned. I asked him to elaborate, he said the exhaust connection near the sensor had moved in the boot? and worked itself towards the back of the car. They would charge 220 for 2 hours labor since "no parts were broken" and it was just the exhaust that needed to be "resituated". I told him I would do that myself, and that I didn't need them to do it for the $220. I asked him what the root cause was for the exhaust moving, but he did not know. Of course, hes the servise "advisor" and is the middle man betweent tech and myself. Useless.
Can anyone maybe point out to how the exhaust could move towards the back of the car, and be shifted in the rubber boot???
I could not find any good pictures of the whole exhaust system.

Anyways, it was supposed to be done saturday. They ordered the wrong part... Not sure how you do that but it'll be ready Tuesday.

They also told me no loaner is provided because the "fix itself" is not 3 hours. Although my car is stuck there for a few days. Of course, they said I could come grab it and drive it back.
I'll end up going under the car to see this exhaust thing, but I find it ironic.
I told him, what happens if I just drive it with the exhaust like that?
He says, premature catalytic converter failure. So I reply, oh well I guess I'll be back for that since that's covered. I really wish they would just resituate the damn exhaust for me free of charge, but I uderstand that dealers and the VW warranty both have their interests. Dealer doesnt wanna pay tech to situate exhaust, could care less if I come back in 2 years with a bad cat. They'll just do the warranty work.

Anyways. I'll keep sharing what happens next.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Simple. When the dealer tech did the "fix", he/she did not properly attach the exhaust system further up. That, as well as a bunch of other bumbles, is what I commonly see on these cars after they rush that service through.

The STL dealer techs must HATE me, because I know I have sent probably 20+ post fix cars back to them for improper work.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Simple. When the dealer tech did the "fix", he/she did not properly attach the exhaust system further up. That, as well as a bunch of other bumbles, is what I commonly see on these cars after they rush that service through.
The STL dealer techs must HATE me, because I know I have sent probably 20+ post fix cars back to them for improper work.
X's 2!

Dealerships count on customers not understanding their issues. In your case the mystery issue was a bad "fix" install. This is a comeback on them. Its a warrenty inconvienance and not as profittable as a customr pay. IMO be respectable but firm on faulty repair comeback. Its not your fault for repair related issues. NOW the service writer knows... Best luck to you

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Agreed.

It's a pipe in a clamp, the only way it wiggles out is improper fit and bolt up.

Or monster truck level of body flex. Have you been blitzing the dunes in Baja? No? Okay then.

TurboTaco

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Awesome. Thanks for the input.
How do you suggest I approach this? Should I ask this dealer to consider fixing it because it wasn't done right in the first place?
This is not the dealer I bought the car from. This one is a little closer to my house. Bring it back to dealer that did the fix?
I mean I almost feel like I rather do it myself and save the hassle.
The service adviser said they love warranty work when I told him I thought dealers didn't like warranty work as much. He said no and that they get paid the same. He also said they'd do what they could to get work done under warranty. Does VW corporate keep a ranking system on warranty claims? He doesn't seem motivated to get this fixed under warranty.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Awesome. Thanks for the input.
How do you suggest I approach this? Should I ask this dealer to consider fixing it because it wasn't done right in the first place?
This is not the dealer I bought the car from. This one is a little closer to my house. Bring it back to dealer that did the fix?
I mean I almost feel like I rather do it myself and save the hassle.
The service adviser said they love warranty work when I told him I thought dealers didn't like warranty work as much. He said no and that they get paid the same. He also said they'd do what they could to get work done under warranty. Does VW corporate keep a ranking system on warranty claims? He doesn't seem motivated to get this fixed under warranty.
First clue the service writer was lying was when his mouth opened. No, warrenty doesnt pay the same. Not only does corperate question every claim, times are underpaid relitive to an unquestioned overcharged customer pay. Yes he is not motivated to fix under warrenty, especially another dealer fix that they cant suck the cost from the tech some how.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just see if you can loosen the V-band clamp(s) and straighten it out yourself, or take it to a reputable place and ask them. Or take it to the dealer that did the fix and tell them about it.

TurboTaco

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Hey ya'll.
I was down there doing the oil change and it was a PITA trying to get the shafts back on the bushings. It didn't feel right having to push it on, I feel like it'd come back out. After accidentally posting in the other forum, I was told to just push it in.

Today I was near the dealership where I bought the car from and I dropped by to show them the picture I took, and if they had done the fix. I mostly went because my car didn't come with the lug nut key and I couldn't change my tires.
I'm just going to have them mount and balance the tires I have, have them remove the locking bolt, replace it with a normal bolt. He said they'll just push the exhaust back on even though they didn't do the fix.
He was like "why didn't they just push the exhaust back on for you?". I'm like IDK the wanted 220. But since you'll do it , I'll have the tire work done here and call it done.
I couldn't believe the other VW wouldn't just push it in for me. Now look I"m not asking for free ****, maybe I am, but I wont be going back to the first dealer for warranty work. The only reason I'm going to the dealer is for warranty work. I'd never set foot in there other wise. I'll be taking the VW to this dealer if I ever have more warranty work. Much better people.

Maybe the whole $220 to push an exhaust back on works on the poor average soul. But I think it's BS and I liked that this service guy had the same reaction. It's like pop it back on and you get a much better customer relationship.

TurboTaco

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Just see if you can loosen the V-band clamp(s) and straighten it out yourself, or take it to a reputable place and ask them. Or take it to the dealer that did the fix and tell them about it.
lol... I couldn't believe how tight the V-band was. I was getting tired from other **** on the car so I put it back on. I think it just needs to be forcefully pushed back on. There is no hard adjustment on the exhaust system. You cannot locate it because everything is on a bushing.

I'm getting old haha. I've replaced everything under the sun on cars, including converting my truck to 4wd but this exhaust thing triggered me. Forgot how low these cars are.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said much better people at the other dealership.

Oftentimes getting decent service is a result of building a relationship with the service writers. You're not going to get along with everyone. Go where your money is appreciated.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
I have five dealerships within 50 miles. Only one where I would actually leave the car for work, and they have been great. Others are a mix of "don't care" and "we'll keep replacing parts until we find the problem." But I don't think the attitudes or the percentages are restricted to VW stores.