Biodiesel

pmm

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Anyone consistently running Biodiesel? I'd like to hear about your experience.
Any change in performance/mileage. What blends are being used. What you're paying and if that's any different than standard Petrodiesel.

Also specifically, is it OK to put un-blended (B100) biodiesel in our TDI's? Anyone have experience with this?

There's a station ~30 miles from me that sells B100. I don't mind burning 1.5/2 gallons to go there if it means I'm using something totally biodegradable and environmentally friendly.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You are in Illinois. You most likely burning B11 already. B100 would be a disaster.

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Use the search function provided.

It was awesome, so cool and trendy then it wasn't.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Anyone consistently running Biodiesel? I'd like to hear about your experience.
Any change in performance/mileage. What blends are being used. What you're paying and if that's any different than standard Petrodiesel.
Also specifically, is it OK to put un-blended (B100) biodiesel in our TDI's? Anyone have experience with this?
There's a station ~30 miles from me that sells B100. I don't mind burning 1.5/2 gallons to go there if it means I'm using something totally biodegradable and environmentally friendly.
If you still have your 120k dieselgate emissions warranty intact VWOA will void it if they find evidence that you ran B100 in it. B5 and under is the only bio blend currently approved for use in VW CR engines. They will extend that SLIGHTLY if you live in an area where higher bio blends are required by law (like b11 in Illinois).

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I’ve run nothing but Propel HPR through my 2012, it’s the cheapest fuel I’m my area and it’s supposed to be cleaner burning than anything else available

ewdysar

TDI
2014 JSW TDi 6m
I’ve run nothing but Propel HPR through my 2012, it’s the cheapest fuel I’m my area and it’s supposed to be cleaner burning than anything else available
I read the info provided by Propel about their fuel’s properties like clean burning. Does anyone know if that has been confirmed by anyone besides the company making and selling the product?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
no DPF, yes
DPF you'll be plugging it

Pre DPF like my sons 7.3 power stroke ate up 50% motor oil having
no starting or any other real issues. Not sure of Bio @ any % as I've not seen any stations for years here in Ca. Of course the 7.3 had no DPF

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
It's a pretty big No No in common rail TDI's to run B100. The HPFP pumps up the fuel pressure to a level beyond what biodiesel is capable of remaining stable at.

For more info, Check out DrivByWire's thread a while back.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=469382&highlight=biodiesel

Edit: I dont think that was the thread I was looking for. I read a thread a number of years ago (when I had my 2009 Jetta) where injectors were getting gummed up (presumably because of the effects of biodiesel at high pressures and high temps).

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
no DPF, yes
DPF you'll be plugging it

Pre DPF like my sons 7.3 power stroke ate up 50% motor oil having
no starting or any other real issues. Not sure of Bio @ any % as I've not seen any stations for years here in Ca. Of course the 7.3 had no DPF
Plugging the Dpf has nothing to do with it, It's Carbon reside on the injectors and fuel dilution. The problem with the dpf systems is during a dpf regen is when the fuel dilution occurs. So I guess you are right about no dpf ok, but you will still have accessive carbon residue on your injectors.

Last edited:

pmm

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
It's a pretty big No No in common rail TDI's to run B100. The HPFP pumps up the fuel pressure to a level beyond what biodiesel is capable of remaining stable at.
For more info, Check out DrivByWire's thread a while back.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=469382&highlight=biodiesel
Edit: I dont think that was the thread I was looking for. I read a thread a number of years ago (when I had my 2009 Jetta) where injectors were getting gummed up (presumably because of the effects of biodiesel at high pressures and high temps).
I have heard the injectors and filter becoming gummed up could be a potential issue. Is this something that happens because of running biodiesel in and of itself, or does this happen when people switch from regular diesel to bio?
Could regular diesel accumulate tank residue and the biodiesel breaks it loose sending it through the system?
If so I'd like to know if anyone tried running bio (with no dpf or egr) early on in the car's life vs one with higher mileage at the time of the switch.
Can't additives effectively mitigate the higher viscosity of bio?