Success! - ALLTRACK Springs on Mk7 Sportwagen TDI = 2" Lift!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
No, they won't. We've had many customers do this swap with no problems.

And Koni doesn't list the Alltrack, I believe, because it has a different rear suspension than the GSW. We had to persuade Koni to bring in the rear Special Actives for the GSW, because that beam rear suspension was only on the '15 TDI in NA. But they decided to stock those. Not sure they've gotten to stocking the rears for the Alltrack yet.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
No, they won't. We've had many customers do this swap with no problems.

And Koni doesn't list the Alltrack, I believe, because it has a different rear suspension than the GSW. We had to persuade Koni to bring in the rear Special Actives for the GSW, because that beam rear suspension was only on the '15 TDI in NA. But they decided to stock those. Not sure they've gotten to stocking the rears for the Alltrack yet.

Koni SA will cross with Golf R except the Alltrack sits a bit higher so it may not be 100% match as the dampers won't be in their sweet spot and resistance may be a little weak.

R Variant over in euroland is probably the best match, but not sure if Koni stocks a different PN for those vs the hatch back.

Reinout

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Sorry if I'm coming late to the party or I missed a detail.

I have a 2011 JSW TDI and want to raise it (2 roof boxes, 2 humans, 3 large dogs):
I have of course read that Tiguan springs will go in, as well as the 4motion if I'm not mistaken. My question is: What year Tig springs? And do they have to be from an AWD or 2wd Tig?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This thread is for the MKVII GSWs, but we have a lift spring set for the JSW as well: https://www.idparts.com/sportwagen-lift-springs-kit-1k0511115ct-p-5101.html We also have towing springs if you only need better support at the rear of the car: https://www.idparts.com/sportwagen-towing-springs-1k0511115ct-p-5084.html

VW makes lots of springs for each model and uses them based on vehicle drivetrain and weight, which is often based on what options the car has. There may be as many as 20 possible spring combinations for the Tiguan, for example. So if you run the OE numbers in those products you'll get a spring, but you may also have to look at what they call "weight ranges" to determine what springs are firmer than others. We got the kits together through trial and error.

jetcapdan

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Currently installing the new Alltrack coils and Koni shocks. The Koni shaft seems to be the same length as the old GSW shocks. Do I need to lengthen them to fit the longer Alltrack coils? I'd have to over compress the coils to fit the current length of the Koni shock. Something seems off.

Any tips appreciated

Dan

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You will have to compress them more for the install. Once the weight of the car is on them they'll be fine.

jetcapdan

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Got it thanks. Also, the factory bump stop does not stay seated at the top. It just falls down through the dust shroud. Am I supposed to glue it up into it's seat?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I believe the bump stop (wide end) should push up through the strut mount bearing and into the strut mount, held in place by friction. And the dust shroud looks like it should hook over the strut mount. They should stay in place on their own.

jetcapdan

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Seems like this should be the least of my worries right? It'll seat with friction but gradually falls out as I put everything back together. I decided to dab a little glue under it to help keep it in place.

Dwcool1990

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Seems like this should be the least of my worries right? It'll seat with friction but gradually falls out as I put everything back together. I decided to dab a little glue under it to help keep it in place.
Have you got the springs/new tires and wheels on? I'd love to see what it looks like and know what kind of height increase you got. What was the max tire diameter that you went with?

salth20diver

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen
Lifted 2015 Sportswagen TDI

Over the weekend I had my 2015 Sportswagen TDI lifted using ID Parts supplied spring and Koni shocks. What an amazing difference in the vehicle handling and looks. I do have before and after pictures with the 225-45-17 tires but am having difficulty uploading the images. Will attempt to upload again once I get the 225-55-17 tires.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
225-55-17 is a nice tire size for the GSW, good choice!

Hpcast

TDI
2015 golf sportwagen

Worked great. No rubs
Thanks
Sparco terra
215-60r16 geolander at

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE w/ Lighting Package
Over the weekend I had my 2015 Sportswagen TDI lifted using ID Parts supplied spring and Koni shocks. What an amazing difference in the vehicle handling and looks. I do have before and after pictures with the 225-45-17 tires but am having difficulty uploading the images. Will attempt to upload again once I get the 225-55-17 tires.
Where are the pics!?!?! Wanna see what this thing looks like!

Dwcool1990

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI

Worked great. No rubs
Thanks
Sparco terra
215-60r16 geolander at
Looks Good! what kind of hit did the acceleration take with those massive tires? You said it didn't rub, but what kind of clearance do you still have, I'm looking at getting tires an inch wider in diameter :D

Hpcast

TDI
2015 golf sportwagen
Looks Good! what kind of hit did the acceleration take with those massive tires? You said it didn't rub, but what kind of clearance do you still have, I'm looking at getting tires an inch wider in diameter :D
I haven’t noticed a big difference in acceleration or loss of mpg. Much softer ride. I’m pleased so far.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Probably just suspension related parts of the driveline, if you're end link or front strut fails you maybe on the hook.

With the torsion rear end there isn't much to fail.

DougFromMaine

TDI
'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI (Diesels but not TDIs: '82 VW Vanagon Wesfalia 1.6TD, '86 VW Transporter Single Cab 1.9TD)
Hi. I've been on the fence about this modification for some time. The thing is, I would like some lift, but I also want my car to remain level.

I've confirmed directly with IDParts that their Golf Alltrack Spring Set is designed for the car to be level when loaded, and when unloaded, the car will be higher in the back.

I've seen Spaccers as another lift option for MK7, but to use that solution on all four corners to achieve a 1.5" lift would be super-expensive.

So I wonder, has anyone considered using a "hybrid" solution with the Alltrack springs, plus Spaccers only in the front, to achieve a level ride height when unloaded? This would be about half the cost of using Spaccers only.

I wonder if there's some reason this might not be advisable...?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
one is a lift, via spacers, and one is via increased spring rate.

if you use spacers and AT springs, once loaded in the rear you'll be back to saggy bottom.

What are you goals for increasing ride height?

1.5" lifts isn't that expensive unless you're paying someone to install the spacers, and at that the front strut spacers is the most time consuming.

For our Alltrack I tossed airlift helper in the bags, that I can air up when loaded and maintain a level ride (loaded bike hitch rack)

DougFromMaine

TDI
'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI (Diesels but not TDIs: '82 VW Vanagon Wesfalia 1.6TD, '86 VW Transporter Single Cab 1.9TD)
hey 740GLE thanks for your reply!

My goals for increasing ride height are... increasing ride height! :) So, slightly improved ground clearance, slightly higher seating position, ability to experiment with slightly taller tires.

I don't carry heavy loads regularly, so a "saggy bottom" really isn't something I feel compelled to address.

My goal for wanting to have the car level is mostly aesthetic, though I'd also rather not have to re-aim my headlights.

If I could just use spacers to achieve lift rather than springs, that would be preferable in my mind. The only spacers for MK7 I'm aware of are the ones from Spaccer.com I mentioned, and using those for a 1.5" lift would cost over $1,000. With the Alltrack springs being marked-down at IDParts, I'm figuring about $500 total - $180 for the springs, plus $320 for a front 1" lift from Spaccer. Plus alignment of course.

According to Spaccer, since the spacers are not full rings, you don't have to remove the springs in order to install them - you only need to compress them. So I could install the springs, gauge height required to level, and then install the appropriate spacers after the fact.

If you're aware of other, less expensive lift options available for both front and rear, I'd investigate those for sure!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Odds are your car isn't level now. The front wheel openings are taller than the rear, creating the illusion of the car being closer to level than it is. Measure the distance between the ground and the rocker panel just behind the front wheel arch and just in front of the rear wheel arch to see if the car is level, or taller in the rear.

The photos in posts 39 and 40 are a pretty good estimate of how the car will look. That car does have equipment in it, but the owner told us it didn't change ride height much.

If you still think the rear would be too tall, we could try and help you find alternative springs that will keep the rear lower, but would also reduce load carrying capacity, which doesn't sound like an issue for you.

DougFromMaine

TDI
Hi IndigoBlueWagon. Thanks for your reply.

So, maybe "level" wasn't the most accurate term. I'd like the car to retain the same "attitude" as it presently has. With all the competing curves and angles it's difficult to define a "visual" level.

My car isn't on a perfectly dead flat surface, but reasonably flat. I measured approximately 26 1/2 +/- at all four wheels: Front 26 5/8", 26 3/8"; rear 26 5/8", 26 5/8". So the distance from the wheel arch to ground is within about 1/4" all the way around. It's on gravel so the measurements aren't precise.

I've got the impression that after installing the kit, the rear will be elevated an additional 1.5", and the front about ...0.5", or 1.0"? But I've seen different reports regarding the front...?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Those measurements sound like they're to the top of the wheel opening. Front wheel opening is higher, don't know how much. So the rear is actually more than 1/4" taller than the front. Measure to the rockers and see what you get. I measure to the top of the rocker at the gap between the fender and the rocker in front, and the door and the rocker in back.

DougFromMaine

TDI
Oh yeah, 26" to the rocker panel and the only complaint I'd have about ride height was that it was too hard to climb up into the car! LOL. I didn't read your post carefully.

The rocker is 7", 7 1/4" front; 8 1/8", 8 1/8" rear. So approx. 1" higher in the rear. Like I said, "visually" it is hard to define "level" - the rocker slopes down toward the front, the wheel arches are even, the window sills slope down, and the roof rails slope up.

So does your Alltrack spring kit add 1" in the front, 1.5" in the rear?