Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The whole new car buying trend is a pile of Fail, really. Really sad. Every single vehicle I own has no direct, same, apples to apples equivalent.

Starting with my oldest:

1979 Transporter
1982 Vanagon (diesel even!)
-- no VAG Transporters since the Eurovan left in 2003, and even then, the last few years were all gasser chain chucking VR6s bolted to a rando-fail slushbox while Europe enjoyed (and still does enjoy) some fantastic TDI engines bolted to manuals. We get nothing. We did briefly get a slap in the face (well, more like a stomp on the scrotum) in the Routan. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

1991 Jetta
diesel , simple, sturdy, reliable, roomy even for a small (tiny by today's standards) car, and a little sedan that still manages a GIANT truck. Lifetime windows, locks, gearbox, sunroof.... you name it, it still works. The most electronic thing on it is the radio, which was incidentally made by Clarion in Japan, and STILL works great, tape deck and all. :)

1996 F150
Last of its kind. 6 cylinders in a row, ancient tech, but solid and reliable, back from when Ford knew how to build something simple and tough. And it has three pedals. There is not been a manual Ford truck available here for nearly a decade now. I suppose the base 2019 F150 would be comparable, but I doubt its 3.3L 24v DI V6 will last as long, and I am certain the 6sp slushbox it has won't work as well as the Mazda M5 box my truck has. And let's face it, my truck LOOKS far better. :p

My ALH Golfs

Bad enough we can no longer buy any diesels, but a diesel Golf is really about the perfect blend of economy, fun to drive, great utility, decent room, and cute good looks... but now the Golf itself may be going away soon. Sad.

My 2004 Passats

No [real] Passats for us in a long time, the B5 was unique in its solid shared Audi platform. Great engines (except the W8:eek:), both my TDI and my 1.8t continue to drive great even after 15 years and 200k miles. And one is a wagon and AWD, which I suppose I could replace with an Audi A4 Allroad, but the cost would be a jaw dropper, and I doubt that EA888 engine in the new one will work as well as my AWM still does.

2016 Sprinter

The last of its kind, only a three year run for us here with the mighty mite OM651 2.1L engine. A 10 passenger van that rolls along at 80 while turning only 2600 RPM and can tag 27 MPG? And it cost about the same as a tarted up minivan? No new 4 cyl. And all the new passenger vans are high roof only. They did at least grace them all with th 7sp though.

So yeah, pretty depressing, but I will be taking good care of my small fleet. They are all somewhat special and unique to me in some way. :cool:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You just gotta open your eye and embrace the world of CVTs you know you won't be able to escape it.

At least VW has stayed away from that cesspool

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You just gotta open your eye and embrace the world of CVTs you know you won't be able to escape it.

At least VW has stayed away from that cesspool
Actually, they didn't. You've never heard of the FWD Audi A4s and A6s with the CVTs that were so terrible they prompted a class action lawsuit! :p

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I can't disagree with you. I will never understand US demand of pickups and SUVs and the "need" for larger and larger vehicles that sit high off the ground.

My wagon has all the room I'll ever need. Who knows, hopefully they'll be back some day but likely without a TDI.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
740, no 1.4l Golfs in 2020, either. Only GTIs.

I take great comfort in owning two ALHs in good condition. There's not much out there I'd spend money on these days.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Rumor has it they're discontinuing the base model Golf too. Only the GTI really sells in the USA. The $99/mo Jetta lease is VW's big mover.

Though, I think that IF they actually brought the GTI or R wagon over, it'd sell too and with a margin big enough to make the import sustainable.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I'm really glad I got my TDI Sportwagen while the getting was good. My last 3 diesels seems I've gotten in at the end of an era and got great vehicles, I got the 1987 Mercedes 300D 124 with the OM603. Bought it ten years old and drove it 21 more years, still running when sold. Got one of the Powerstrokes with the 7.3 ten years ago, still running strong and have no intentions of parting with it. Hope to have the Sportwagen at least ten years as well.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually, they didn't. You've never heard of the FWD Audi A4s and A6s with the CVTs that were so terrible they prompted a class action lawsuit! :p

never heard of them, lol well lets just hope they learned their lesson and found the light

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Though, I think that IF they actually brought the GTI or R wagon over, it'd sell too and with a margin big enough to make the import sustainable.
If the Alltrack took off and sold in numbers they wanted I could see them bringing a more powerful high priced wagon but the Tiguan just chopped the feet out from the Alltrack/GSW. But it'd more in line with the numbers of Arteon's, Golf R, in that a dealer would end up with 2-3. VWoA can't have 2-3 halo cars on the lot.

Space for space Tiquan wins at minimal cost increase and about the same mileage. The Alltrack/GSW 4Mo were on the lots for 6 months and then tiquans came and no one was interested in a wagon.

Best option I have is sliding a GTI turbo into our Alltrack and enjoy a 250HP AWD wagon and motoring on.