Osram 65w bulbs

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Has anyone had any negative consequences from these 65w bulbs in the Passat?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
lots of threads a few years back, everyone loved them and if you go into vcds and turn off bulb extender and up it to 13w they are amazing

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
Running them for over two years now. They have been excellent in every way. I understand they have been discontinued.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Probably because they are illegal :p

Not that it really matters, obviously. But technically DOT only allows 55w or 1500 lumens in certain bulbs. It seems like this must have either been relaxed, or is simply never enforced, as some new cars from the factory have ignorantly bright low beam lights that are downright blinding to oncoming traffic.

Obviously, like many things, the often used "off road use only" loophole is thrown around.

I had a difficult time finding 65w H4 bulbs in the European style lamps for my older Transporters (that in US spec trim got sealed beams). But now with the internet, there are dozens of them available on eBay from all sorts of [usually Chinese] vendors.

But finding them at brick 'n mortar stores may be a bit more difficult. It would be like buying emissions equipment delete parts at Autozone. ;)

Of course, Autozone and others will gladly sell these stadium lighting LED kits that the rednecks grace the front of their brodozers with, which is really annoying. And I am sure tickets could be issued for them, but like the stupid (and illegal) straight pipes on Harleys, it is all too often overlooked. :(

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Stupid bright lights are outlawed, and outlaws have stupid bright lights!

A truck I usually see every morning has these super awesome kick butt 6500K HID fog light retro fit, and runs them 24/7, all the light goes everywhere but the road, friggin mouth breathers.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I tried higher wattage lights in my 4runner years ago and noticed no more useable light in the process. I did melt the headlight pigtails though for my effort.
Proper lenses and good aiming is the best thing you can do.
I also meet an idiot truck or two every morning and give them my high beam salute in gratitude for their awesome lighting.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Great...the "stupid bright light" crowd is making us go blind, and the equally stoopid "coal rollers" and deleters are choking us...HAHA!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
You're right, everyone should drive Avalons ;)

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
When I first got my 2015 Passat, I could not believe the bad headlights that the car came with it.
First I spent a fair amount of money and bought top line Sylvania bulbs, the most expensive were something like type XTe.
That improved the headlights.
Next I found some 90w/100w Osram bulbs and I really stocked up on them because I bumped the voltage to the headlights to "Full voltage", everyone here was saying how quick they would burn out because of that. In one year not one burned out.

Still wasn't satisfied and bought Winpower projector lights. I'm happy now.

So now I have about fourteen H4 bulbs laying around.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I was sad to see the Osram 65W no longer available. I purchased the following:
http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html
I like them, and feel they are a huge improvement on stock low beams (I'm okay with the high beams), but I definitely need to adjust the lights to aim up a bit. BTW, low beam bulbs and a 10 minute easy to switch job.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Check out Osram night breaker lasers. They ar 100% xenon gas filled and are pure white.