Optimizing Rear View Camera Operation

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
I know this is mentioned here and there, but I'd like some confirmation of the best way to minimize this very inconvenient delay.

This is what I'm doing:

a. Make sure the 510 unit is off.
b. Turn on the 'ignition'
c. Then start the car and put it in Reverse.
d. With luck, the image will appear within ~7 seconds (but still too slow and not always within 7 seconds.)
e. Only then, turn on the RNS 510

Anyone have a better way?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I think the OP is just advising people don't turn on the radio before turning on the car.

I have noticed it takes a long time for the system to start with the car off.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I think the OP is just advising people don't turn on the radio before turning on the car.
I have noticed it takes a long time for the system to start with the car off.
Not wanting to get into an argument, but this from the OP's post:

b. Turn on the 'ignition'
c. Then start the car and put it in Reverse.

Which means the car is at a dead stop, the shifter in Park with the ignition OFF. This, to me is an absolutely ridiculous procedure.

As far as I'm concerned what are a few seconds in one's lifetime?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Which means the car is at a dead stop, the shifter in Park with the ignition OFF. This, to me is an absolutely ridiculous procedure.

As far as I'm concerned what are a few seconds in one's lifetime?
How else do you back out of your garage? Put it in neutral, roll the window down, push the car out and jump in dukes of hazard style? pretty bad ass. :D

I think the OP wasn't suggesting this procedure for backing into a parking spot, more like first start leaving a parking spot. Usually once the car is running the Navi is "reasonably" responsive.

Agreed a few seconds in a life time are here or there, I usually back up without looking and only look when i'm getting close to the end of our turn around spot anyways, still kinda used to turning my head.

Last edited:

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I played around and I have found if on my 2015 Passat if I unlock the doors with the remote a minute or so from before getting in the car, the car must wake up, because when I get int and start to back up, the rear camera comes on instantly. I can see the car from the kitchen window and would just hit the remote through the window. This does seem to work but a bit of a hassle and not worried too much about the camera not coming on right away. They are nice and yes it should work, but lived without one for over 60 years. The one in my Ford diesel comes on right away after putting it in reverse.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
I played around and I have found if on my 2015 Passat if I unlock the doors with the remote a minute or so from before getting in the car, the car must wake up, because when I get int and start to back up, the rear camera comes on instantly.
I agree with what you say, except that, in my case, the system has to be off in order to minimize the delay. If I've left the electronics on, then there is a noticeable delay.
In other words, turn the electronics off before locking the car. Then, next time, unlock the vehicle-get in and fasten the seat belt-start the car-select reverse — camera comes on almost immediately. Only then do I turn on the electronics.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I am 63 and from the old school habits and turn off all the electronics before shutting off the engine as a habit. So you are correct, shutting off the radio makes a difference.