Clogged oil cooler / frost heater

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I have found heater core related topics over at myturbo diesel and vortex. wonder what vw is going to do?? this is a huge issue, much larger than the turbos

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
sucked my expansion tank dry, luckily no sediment but check out the old vs new coolant @ 58,000 miles

Last edited:

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
No luck with the cascade dishwasher cleaner either. Some of the big chunks came out but the passages are still plugged. Looks like we'll have to focus on the cause of the issues and replace parts as necessary

notabiker

TDI
2012 jetta tdi 6m
Yes what is causing this issue of crusting up? I have a jetta and just did the frostheater install yesterday and today. Didn't notice anything unusual on/in the oil cooler nipple at least, only 34k on the car. If it's lime scale then an acid should dissolve it, muriatic acid, believe I seen at Lowe's or hd or a place like true value. I've used it to clean metal prior to soldering back in high school.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/moleculescompounds/f/What-Is-Muriatic-Acid.htm

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Im afraid to use anything too harsh. Im researching coolant filtration systems from 6.0 fords to see if I can adapt one to fit

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
sucked my expansion tank dry, luckily no sediment but check out the old vs new coolant @ 58,000 miles

I think Blackstone does coolant samples as well. Maybe it's worth a try to have it analyzed

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Drained my coolant for the second time in 2 weeks. Reservoir was once again filled with sediment. This time however I drained it to install my new weapon...

I used a coolant filtration kit for a 6.0 powerstroke. I had to make my own 5/8 to 3/8 tee and modify the mounting bracket. The other one included for 3/8 at the bottle worked with the 5/16 line. It must be working because it gets hot! Hopefully this will resolve my issues.

Last edited:

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
767 nice work. Is there any consensus on an inexpensive pH test kit or effective flush? I have not experienced any issues (yet) at 76k miles and am thinking about multiple cooling system flushes with water when the freezing temps are gone. I'll probably run a day at a time (~140 miles, 3 hrs) with straight water and keep repeating until it runs clear. Wondering if adding some vinegar or lemon juice might help with dissolving deposits???

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
767 nice work. Is there any consensus on an inexpensive pH test kit or effective flush? I have not experienced any issues (yet) at 76k miles and am thinking about multiple cooling system flushes with water when the freezing temps are gone. I'll probably run a day at a time (~140 miles, 3 hrs) with straight water and keep repeating until it runs clear. Wondering if adding some vinegar or lemon juice might help with dissolving deposits???
I have been experimenting to see what will remove the buildup on my old oil cooler. So far dishwasher cleaner and full strength radiator flush have failed. Im not knowledgeable on ph levels and that kind of thing. Im more of a believer that the coolant is getting too hot in the egr cooler causing the coolant to break down. It doesn't really look like aluminum corrosion in my opinion.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Update

The filter is working well no more debris in the reservoir and the heater core is still producing hot heat!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
That kit is expensive. I think I'll just source the adapter and the filter spins on from Amazon, and use $1/ft hose and $2 fittings. Spot weld my own $80 bracket with some holes.

Hope vw gets settled soon, I planned to swap heater core, oil cooler, and install a filter somewhere.

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with CM11

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
767wrench,
I see in another post that you are running green coolant and not pink coolant.
Could there have been some pink left in the oil cooler when you switched to green?
Never ever run non G12 or G13 coolants in a TDI.....

Cooling system issues are never a thought when using G12 or G13.

Anyone that attempts to use a non G12 or non G13 coolant had better read this thread to see what they can look forward too!

VW is clear, mixing coolant types Will result in clogging of the engines cooling system aka the brown goo!

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup

Anyone that attempts to use a non G12 or non G13 coolant had better read this thread to see what they can look forward too!

VW is clear, mixing coolant types Will result in clogging of the engines cooling system aka the brown goo!
Lol do some more reading around this forum there pro. All kinds of issues with the factory stuff. Hence the change to green organic acid and no more issues

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
To me, switching to 100% green may resolve the current clogging issue (remains to be seen if that is true) but what does the green do the the surfaces it contacts that pink doesn't? Must be a reason why VAG uses that pretty colored fluid. I'd be worried that it would be eating the block or something.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Update: 30k miles on my "B" replacement heater core. Now at 50k miles, coolant still bright pink, no cabin heat issues. Engine temps stable.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

Just to get you caught up, all of the problems in this thread and the clogged heater core thread are with the FACTORY VW G12 and G13 coolants. Volkswagen clearly has a problem here, and it isn't with owners putting in the wrong coolant.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Green stuff with additives for aluminum. Done.

Especially if running with deleted egr cooler. No more stupid high Temps hitting the coolant.

The way factory g12/13 is giving issue , I don't think it can handle egr Temps.

Maybe old school green with a few additives is better, deleted or not?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk