brake upgrade

legalizethis

TDI
2014 passat tdi sel. 2014 beetle conv tdi
I just bought a new 2014 passat sel.

love the car!!

installed hr oem springs, front and rear sway bars too with Koni shocks.

anyone know of what brakes fit the passat? I want more braking power.

thx in advanced.

can't wait to get a Malone 2 with dsg!

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Problem may be more with tires than brakes. Even the V6 uses tires designed more for economy than traction. Not saying you cant improve the binders, just saying that you might profit from what I've shared.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I would add that the stock brakes do improve dramatically after break-in. They might not be as aggressive as you want, though.

passatv6af

Veteran Member
TDI
B7 6MT
I don't know how hard you drive but I wrapped my front rotors within 30k miles. I bought custom made slotted rotors with stop tech pads. Paid $350 but they're quality. Will do the rear also in the summer.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Hawk makes a great pad for most applications. Check them out.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
If you do Hawk HPS Pads without taking into account the stock Passat rotors, you will most likely warp them like was already said. Aggressive pads generate more heat in the rotor, which increases the likelihood of warping.

With that said, I HIGHLY recommend any Hawk Pad. Excellent stuff!

Also, many people go for bigger, when just better will give you more stopping power, like good aftermarket rotors and good pads.

I will be using BrakePerformance.com's Dimpled and slotted rotors front in back when mine stock pads/rotors show the first signs of needing to be replaced. Drilled rotors, are an overkill for our cars, and have less strength than a solid rotor.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
If you do Hawk HPS Pads without taking into account the stock Passat rotors, you will most likely warp them like was already said. Aggressive pads generate more heat in the rotor, which increases the likelihood of warping.

With that said, I HIGHLY recommend any Hawk Pad. Excellent stuff!

Also, many people go for bigger, when just better will give you more stopping power, like good aftermarket rotors and good pads.

I will be using BrakePerformance.com's Dimpled and slotted rotors front in back when mine stock pads/rotors show the first signs of needing to be replaced. Drilled rotors, are an overkill for our cars, and have less strength than a solid rotor.
Any rotor that has grooves, slots, dimples, is overkill for street and will wear any pad faster than just a plain face rotor...

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Any rotor that has grooves, slots, dimples, is overkill for street and will wear any pad faster than just a plain face rotor...
So if you can accelerate faster than stock, why not stop better than stock?

I agree on these cars, crossdrilled is over kill. Slotted is the first step to a better than plain face rotor, and dimpled is the next step. Dimpled and slotted gives you increased performance, and less likelihood of warping, with out the risk of cracking that comes with crossdrilled.