Unitronic Stage 1 tune is out

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
I know all the dealers here they can't screw me over been around to long here...
Complacent much? :p

As for the tune, I'm in no rush, if I even get one. I certainly wouldn't do one under warranty. It doesn't have the urgency for me.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Malone is not the only tuner out there
This is true. You've been around as long if not longer than I have and you know as well as I there's always a "Tuner du Jour" on this forum. Then they do something to piss someone off and BOOM. You're the ass end of every tuner story on the forum.

Wetterauer, Upsolute, Kerma, Malone... Just to name a few.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Longer......I am just tired of hearing all of Malones Fanbois shouting there love! I know
Where I am going if I need a tune.......my Hybrid is not in need ;)

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I am NOT a fanboy, just a happy customer. I merely speak the truth. I give honest impressions, and speak up if there are issues. If a company/dealer treats me well, I will speak their praises.

I had a RC1.5 on my 2006 Jetta and loved it. Jeff is a great guy, but he is ONE guy, and very hard to nail down/find to get any changes made or tweaks to my tune. I am sure Jeff's tunes for the NMS are good, but he is way too hard to track down.

APR's tune for the TDI NMS was late to the game, and had issues right out of the gate, and it took months for them to get a tune back to market they were willing to install. Not saying it is a bad tune, but not proven yet.

Several of us on here forked over the pretty hefty price tag of $1000+ for a Malone Engine and DSG tune. I honestly believe it is the best Mod I have done on my car. I use its advantages every time I drive my car.

My Malone tuner is about 80 miles from me. I have had him adjust my DSG tune once already, and we are going to make some additional tweaks to both the ECM and DSG tune coming up shortly.

My point in this thread was, why wait when there are proven tuning options available now.

jd69627

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Thank you all for the feedback between vendors. I originally financed in the price of the tune so I am going to stick with it and if I don't like it I will return to original and have a service credit... Also the warranty that they promised me would not be void is another main reason. I understand there are alot of opinions on this subject but they offer it on their website and I have no reason to believe they wouldn't. Sounds naive maybe, but I wound't think it would go over well if they offer it their sell it then not warrant it, i am sure they would have experienced legal issues by now. This magnason moss act can be debated all day long but at the end of the day those r the reasons why i am waiting for unitronic. If I don't like it....off to Malone maybe.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Jeff is a great guy, but he is ONE guy, and very hard to nail down/find to get any changes made or tweaks to my tune. I am sure Jeff's tunes for the NMS are good, but he is way too hard to track down.
Hi Ray are you sure about that?
RC's phone and email is on the website under contacts, pick up the phone and call anytime, or text, or email. It's not difficult. I answer the phone up to 10pm. If I am on the phone or under the car, leave a message. I work very hard for this group 7 days/wk and go out of my way to help folks for the past 14years with their problems. One thing you should know by now I don't bombard you or the forums for business like some vendors, you need to find me. RC also supports problem resolutions for CRDs MB's, and BMWs.
Jeff
(not a registered vendor here, but have financially supported this group and these pages you post on for past 12 years, btw, this post will probably get deleted like my others, thanks mods)

Last edited:

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Hi Ray are you sure about that?
RC's phone and email is on the website under contacts, pick up the phone and call anytime, or text, or email. It's not difficult. I answer the phone up to 10pm. If I am on the phone or under the car, leave a message. I work very hard for this group 7 days/wk and go out of my way to help folks for the past 14years with their problems. One thing you should know by now I don't bombard you or the forums for business like some vendors, you need to find me. RC also supports problem resolutions for CRDs MB's, and BMWs.
Jeff
(not a registered vendor here, but have financially supported this group and these pages you post on for past 12 years, btw, this post will probably get deleted like my others, thanks mods)

When I tried to get ahold of RC Jeff for a tune on my BRM Jetta, I left 2 messages and two emails. I never got a response from Jeff. I figured he was too busy for my business so I went with a Malone tune.

Last edited:

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
When I tried to get ahold of RC Jeff for a tune on my BRM Jetta, I left 2 messages and two emails. I never got a response from Jeff. I figured he was too busy for my business so I went with a Malone tune.
Hi Jason,
You sent me an email back in 2010 about coming to Chicago to tune a 06BRM, and I said no and you said marysville oh was too far. no big deal. Never got a email after that for passat.
Just finished answering a dozen emails, I gotta go out and work now, I'am wasting time and bandwidth here.
Jeff

Last edited:

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Hi Jason,
You sent me an email back in 2010 about coming to chicago, and I said no and you said marysville oh was too far. no big deal. Never got a email after that for passat. hmmm
Jeff
You are correct, never an email about the Passat. I'm comfortable with the power the Passat has when passing. That was really the only reason for the tune on my Jetta.

As for emails heres one I never received a reply to from May 31st 2011 @ 10:00 am:

I'm interested in your tune for my 2006 VW Jetta tdi w/dsg. I was looking at your 1+ tune. I'm also looking into a Malonetuning tune, the 1.5 w/EGR delete. Can you tell me what makes your tune superior to theirs? I'm shopping around and finding the best tune for the money. How much would your tune be with egr delete? How do I go about getting your tune? I'm a member in tdiclub like you. I've been waiting for a gtg in the Chicago area that you will be attending.

Any information you could give me will be appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

I must have emailed you back in 2010 but my email search cannot find it (I may have had a different account back then, I went through a couple different providers). No big deal thats in the past. At the time I was still researching tuners and trying to figure out what one gave me the best bang for the buck. Only having one tuner reply it was hard not to choose Malone. I did end up waiting until september 12 2011 to have the tune installed. Best of luck to you.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Let's not turn this into a pissing contest over tunes, and who responded to who, take that to PM.

Jeff, I in no way meant any disrespect. I was VERY happy with your tune on my Jetta, and probably would have gone with yours again on the Passat, but the Malone Tuner I went with was closer and near my In-Laws. You are a little harder to track down, and are one person in high demand, you have to admit that. I have been Happy with the results from my Malone tune, so I speak on that. The same as I did after I got my Jetta tuned. A tune on my 2006 made a dog of a car, VERY fun to drive.

I know you work hard, and I have learned A LOT from you over the years. Competition in this arena is good. It keeps the tuners honest, and drives everybody to improve.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Longer......I am just tired of hearing all of Malones Fanbois shouting there love! I know
Where I am going if I need a tune.......my Hybrid is not in need ;)
I have had both tunes and in my OPINION the Unitronic tune sucks, now I have the Malone and love it, most on here talk but never have real world experience what they are even spewing about, I'm glad I'm not one of those guys...:D

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have been here since 1997......I was a rolling test bed for many many years for Tune and tuning boxes.....as I got older I didn't really care about tuning anymore....But I have been accused for many years of being a Fan Boi for several of the tuners and car salesmen here......
See what happens when I suggest that your are a Fan Boi of your Chosen Tuner.....
Knock your socks off folks.....Jeff is still the Best!!

Last edited:

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
How many tunes out their besides Malone support a stage 2 or 3 tune, for the TDI, I rest my case...:DUnitronic does not, for the TDI, I have not had any of the other tunes, so can't commit on them as other do...:confused: IF YOU READ MY EARLIER POST I ONLY COMMITED ON THESE 2 TUNES..

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm not deleting your post because I appreciate your support of the site and you deserve the opportunity to respond to posts directed at your business.

You're welcome,
Mod

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Thank you all for the feedback between vendors. I originally financed in the price of the tune so I am going to stick with it and if I don't like it I will return to original and have a service credit... Also the warranty that they promised me would not be void is another main reason. I understand there are alot of opinions on this subject but they offer it on their website and I have no reason to believe they wouldn't. Sounds naive maybe, but I wound't think it would go over well if they offer it their sell it then not warrant it, i am sure they would have experienced legal issues by now. This magnason moss act can be debated all day long but at the end of the day those r the reasons why i am waiting for unitronic. If I don't like it....off to Malone maybe.
If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that the dealership where you purchased your TDI let you finance and then installed a "tune" for you when you purchased your car? And now you believe that they won't deny warranty coverage if the tune causes a problem. My question to you is; What if you have a warranty issue away from home and cannot go to your selling dealership for service? You do know that no other VW dealership is obligated to honor their tune install, or subsequent problems and your warranty could be denied and worst case scenario your VIN could be red flagged.

Just because they haven't encountered legal problems (that you are aware of) doesn't mean that they haven't had them, or won't in the future.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that the dealership where you purchased your TDI let you finance and then installed a "tune" for you when you purchased your car? And now you believe that they won't deny warranty coverage if the tune causes a problem. My question to you is; What if you have a warranty issue away from home and cannot go to your selling dealership for service? You do know that no other VW dealership is obligated to honor their tune install, or subsequent problems and your warranty could be denied and worst case scenario your VIN could be red flagged.

Just because they haven't encountered legal problems (that you are aware of) doesn't mean that they haven't had them, or won't in the future.
That's what Triple AAA is for, you tow the car back to his dealership and fix the problem, like I said the VW dealer by my house sells the Unitronic tune and warranties the car with it in, not hard to understand...

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE

Thats a great point. I know when I purchased my Jetta from the AutoBarn in Mt Prospect they were selling tunes also.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That's what Triple AAA is for, you tow the car back to his dealership and fix the problem, like I said the VW dealer by my house sells the Unitronic tune and warranties the car with it in, not hard to understand...
Because TDI drivers never take long trips. ;)

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Because AAA is going to pass up 47 other VW dealerships over 1200 miles to take you to your preferred dealership without charging you extra, right?

You're right, that's not hard to understand.:rolleyes:

Not_Agn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Se TDI
Bill Jacobs in naperville used to sell a tune. But they discontinued doing it. Believe it was Apr? But don't quote me on that.

jd69627

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
What percentage of my yearly travel is a when I am over 500 miles from my home. Maybe 2-5%. For me it is a risk I am willing to take. The unitronic option is the best way for me to hedge my investment. Am I stupid enough to think that u or anyone else cantbcome up with a scenario that would cause a problem where I am out money no. The fact is it is a small percentage and that is the risk I am willing to take. This is the least risky way for me to have a tune and a warranty that can still work. If something happens and I am out money , I will put on my big boy pants and pay up.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
Because AAA is going to pass up 47 other VW dealerships over 1200 miles to take you to your preferred dealership without charging you extra, right?

You're right, that's not hard to understand.:rolleyes:
When is the last time you broke down 1200 miles from home on a car still under warranty, guaranteed NEVER, lol, you probably have never driven on a 500 mile trip before...

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Unitronic finally has a tune for the tdi with adblue. Adds 35 hp and 59 tq. Getting it on Wednesday, will let u know my feedback.
PM me when you get the tune done and I'll unlock the thread so you can post a review of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.