Torque app -- what a bargain!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I bought this exact one, from Amazon, for $10.50 and it's working great
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076KBPNI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
As far as average MPG goes, I track on www.fuelly.com. These are the real numbers that I trust. Miles driven/gallons added back on complete fillup.
Thanks for the alternative suggestion pparks1. It seems that, for the cost, it is a low risk item to purchase in conjunction with Torque Pro. I have an older Android phone so hopefully it will pair in a stable way.
I also agree very much about using Fuelly. It is just nice to have a more accurate tool to know my instantaneous MPG if possible.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
We've bought 2 of these adapters and Torque Pro at work and both are working just fine. A third person bought one, but hasn't received his yet.

We tried the original with 3-4 different phones and a few different vehicles and they worked fine. Ford F150, Dodge Ram, Pontiac Solstice, VW Passat, etc.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I bought this same OBD2 bluetooth adaptor and so far no issues. Very stable. Great tool indeed for the money in my view.
Question: could this adaptor drain the battery if left connected for a long time. I see there is a red light on and i was wondering of the long term impact.
Great thread. I have Torque Pro running on my rooted Nook Color with a BAFX Products (TM) - PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool adapter.
So, what should I monitor? What is the most useful?
I have boost, EGT, engine and trans temp. I'll add the two temp sensors from the OP to keep an eye on regens (car has 250 miles, so no regen yet).

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
I took the plunge and bought one of those cheap OBD to Bluetooth adapters recently (I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F4JHHO/) and also bought the $5 Torque app from Google Play. I loaded it onto my old HTC Droid Incredible and for $20 I'm learning interesting things about my car!

This is a screenshot after my morning commute. I drove the car harder than usual just to see how high I could get the gauges to read. The interstate highway part of the trip was about 50 miles, got it up above 75 mph for a stretch and was able to see passive regen temperatures start to appear. It's true that you really need to be above 2,000 rpm for the temps in the DPF to climb. If you normally cruise around doing 60 mph in top gear, you will probably have more active regens.

My Torque screen, starting with the top-left and moving clockwise:

Cat B1S1 - I believe this measures the temp before the DPF. During a regen this goes up above 1000°F. I have this gauge configured to blink when going above that temp so I can be aware of an active regen.

Cat B1S2 - I believe this measures the temp after the DPF. During a regen this goes up above 800°F. I also have this gauge blink above that temperature to signify an active regen.

EGT1 - I believe this measures the temp before the turbo. This will go above 1000°F during the start of a regen and/or during aggressive acceleration. Once again I have this gauge blink above that temp. Not only will it alert me to the start of an active regen, but I think it can help you drive more economically if you so desire.

Fuel flow - This is a useful gauge for driving economically. At idle it's 0.2 gal/hour. With the AC running it's 0.3. During a regen it's 0.4. In gear, foot off the accelerator, it reads 0.0. So far the highest reading I've seen is 9 gal/hr, this was during max acceleration.

Coolant - As most of you know, the temp gauge on the car dashboard is "dumbed down" and "190" actually includes a wide range of "normal". It's interesting to see the real value.

Boost - After getting off the interstate, I did a full blast 0-60 run, shifting at about 4,000 rpm, and this was the first time I saw the boost climb up to approx 20-21 psi. Most of the time I've only been able to get it to max out at about 16 psi, I was wondering if the reading was totally inaccurate. My understanding is that this value is calculated and not directly measured, so an actual boost gauge would be more accurate.

Any other interesting things you guys are monitoring with Torque or a ScanGauge? Any thoughts on my observations/hypotheses above?

Best,
Jason

I'm confused as to why you have to monitor 3 different sensors to identify an active regen. If you had to pick one sensor to identify an active regen which one would you pick and what value should one look for to identify an active regen?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I'm confused as to why you have to monitor 3 different sensors to identify an active regen. If you had to pick one sensor to identify an active regen which one would you pick and what value should one look for to identify an active regen?

EGT.

Higher than 1300F with no aftermarket ECU tuning, you're likely regenerating.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I look for 1000 F on Cat B1S1 (pre dpf sensor). I have all three gauges but EGT can get up there high without going into regen. When Cat B1S1 gets to 1000 F you are always in a regen or emissions system event of some kind. If you have the guage set then you can log the temps and graph them like this as well. I also have alarms set for egt (1400 F) and CAT B1S1 (1000 F).

Last edited: