HOW TO/DIY Disassemble 12V Power Outlet (w/o using a hammer)

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
This DIY is going to briefly explain how to take apart the 12V outlet next to the ashtray in the MKIV Jetta and Golf. It is specifically intended for G3F builders, (who will reuse the receptacle but not the ashtray), and it might also serve as a handy modification for those who want to remove the distracting cover on the power outlet.

YOU WILL NEED:

T-20 Torx driver
Small Flat-head Screwdriver (1/8" width blade)

First, remove the torx T-20 screw. Then push the ashtray towards the front of the car to unclip from the plastic tabs. Reinstalling these tabs is a pain, they are easy to break... however, the torx screw is enough to hold it in place by itself.

Next, pop off this little light. It will pop off easily without damage if you put the screwdriver right here:

Next, wedge the driver through this hole in the metal receptacle. There are two of these; just push the receptacle out as you twist the driver back and forth through the square hole.

Finally, remove the plastic housing by putting the screwdriver under these tabs as you push it out:

That's all there is to it. Now it's possible to clean this area, remove the cover/spring, etc. I am sure most of you could easily figure this out on your own, but this may still save you 10 minutes of guessing. :)

Last edited:

chandler583

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
Wait, there's a light that is there? When I bought my Jetta, it never worked...
I guess I have to tear into it to figure out what the heck is going on.

manual_tranny

TDI
Haha... yes, the light is supposed to illuminate the plastic housing actually. This part of the car is actually kinda nifty until it's gotten 10+ years of dirt and grime and a broken light... :)

To separate ultra-mini bulb housing, place screwdriver here:

The bulb appears to be a Wagner 17037.

Last edited:

chandler583

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
Cool write up, I will definitely use this to perform a good cleaning of the whole area. Mine actually got pulled out a but due to a stuck plug. I just hope none of the plastic broke.

manual_tranny

TDI
Cool write up, I will definitely use this to perform a good cleaning of the whole area. Mine actually got pulled out a but due to a stuck plug. I just hope none of the plastic broke.
Even if you find something broken, this should be a pretty cheap and easy junkyard find.

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Great write up, I would like to contribute this possible alternate bulb that might me easier to find:

GE Automotive Lighting 12V type 73/BP2... The guy at the Canadian Tire parts counter recommended to go the dealer because these are not exactly right and people have broken bulb holders in the past, (maybe not this exact one but I see what they mean).

In the composite picture below:

top: two new (larger bulbs) and one original (smaller bulb in lower left with white in center) for comparison,
middle left: bulb holder open
middle right: bulb holder closed
bottom: bulb output

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Great write up, I would like to contribute these pictures and this possible alternate bulb that might me easier to find:

GE Automotive Lighting 12V type 73/BP2... The guy at the Canadian Tire parts counter recommended to go the dealer because these are not exactly right and people have broken bulb holders in the past, (maybe not this exact one but I see what they mean).

In the composite picture below:

top: two new (larger bulbs) and one original (smaller bulb) for comparison,
middle left: bulb holder open
middle right: bulb holder closed
bottom: bulb output

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Wait, there's a light that is there? When I bought my Jetta, it never worked...
I guess I have to tear into it to figure out what the heck is going on.
Haha, the 04 has the same issue. Took me several months after we bought the car to realized the bulb was burned out. Only noticed it because the 99.5 ash tray lit up. Gotta get to it some day.

lightbody

TDI
Bora 1.9 PD100
Hello.

I registered for the forum, just so I could say thank you to the contributors to this topic for helping me change the bulb in my 2004 Bora's ashtray! It had been bugging the hell out of me (I'm a bit OCD) and I'd already removed it and not been able to sort it, but with the help of this guide and the photos, I managed it in about 10 minutes.

I'll have to check out the rest of the forum now!

Cheers,

- Rob