Passat NMS VCDS Tricks / Upgrades

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Door open chime stays the same but you'll notice that it only dings 4 or 5 times now instead of the continuous obnoxious American coding. :)

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
So did anyone figure out hill hold assist delete? I'm sick of having my car take over my brakes and not giving my go pedal back to me for a second.

Jav9882

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Apparently there is also an "alarm" setting that is not activated, like the rain sensor . So those people who want the "Basic Alarm" VW is now offering for $325, it can actually be activated through VAGCOM with out having to purchase anything. The only things is that the alarm won't activate is the hood is opened (sensor sold in kit). But I believe the hood deal is only for the S and SE models. Not sure

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm still trying to find out the right combination of VCDS tweaks to make my fogs come on as DRLs in the auto headlight position. If anyone knows, please share. Would love to have fog-only capability.

I followed a lot of Compu's instructions and was able to get the option for DRLs to show up on the MFI, etc, but I just haven't found the right combo of options to make the selectable DRL fogs happen, if it's even possible.

I was able to get my fogs to stay on with high beams. That's pretty sweet.

One other oddity: I ran an autoscan before I started my VCDS tweaking and I have no error codes, but I did get a message that right rear door was not found. Dubya-tee-eff?

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Fogs as DRLs is a Scandanavian coding, I believe - it also includes all parking/running lights and will not work on the NMS like it worked on previous GTIs.

You can do fogs as "coming/leaving home," but I haven't seen it for DRLs in the long coding.

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 2012 Passat TDI
Hello all, I hate that my stereo shuts off when I turn the car off. I always relax in my car for a while before going into work and I want to listen to the stereo. On all my other VW's the stereo stays on until the key is removed from the ign. I have searched for a fix for this a couple of days now and found nothing. Is there a setting on MFI or a change I can make with VCDS?

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 2012 Passat TDI
press the power button on the radio. It will stay on for 15 minutes or until you hit the power button again...whichever comes first.
I figured that one out. I just didnt want to have to hit the button to turn on and then again to turn off. Especially at 5am in the morning. I'm a bit tired at that hour.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
So did anyone figure out hill hold assist delete? I'm sick of having my car take over my brakes and not giving my go pedal back to me for a second.
I second this. I HATE this $%^% Hill Hold "feature". I have seen several folks posting that they have deleted the Hill Hold feature, but I have not found how to do it. I searched through some of the controllers via VCDS, but I couldn't find anything that looked like it might turn HH off. There isn't any labeling for the ABS brake controller so I don't know what I might be selecting/changing.

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
To turn off hill assist, you go into braking module then into coding and I believe byte 2 has the option to turn of hill assist. Viola.:D

Jav9882

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Sorry to ask this stupid question, but what does "Hill-Hold Assist" actually do? From the name of it I can get a pretty good idea but I'm having trouble picturing what it actually does. The only hills in my area are the over passes on the highway! Can some one please enlighten me, and don't be smart asses about it either. Lol! Thanks

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry to ask this stupid question, but what does "Hill-Hold Assist" actually do? From the name of it I can get a pretty good idea but I'm having trouble picturing what it actually does. The only hills in my area are the over passes on the highway! Can some one please enlighten me, and don't be smart asses about it either. Lol! Thanks
In layman's terms, the car automatically applies the brake when you are stopped and on an incline, even a slight one, which some, including me, find annoying. This feature can be useful to keep a DSG car from rolling backward on an incline when you release the brakes. I just don't like the fact that the car does this at seemingly every stop, particularly when it's just the slightest of an incline. I wish there was a button so I could just flip HHA on if, for instance, I was driving in San Francisco on the approach to Lombard St. Living in DE and MD, the feature isn't very helpful. I don't like having my brakes automatically locked every time I stop. You can feel the application and release (with some delay) and while not a show stopper, it's mildly annoying.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
To turn off hill assist, you go into braking module then into coding and I believe byte 2 has the option to turn of hill assist. Viola.:D
THANK YOU, I will be checking this out first thing in the morning.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Alright, doesn't appear to be that simple or I am missing something. The only brake controller I see is the ABS - Brakes, and in coding byte 2, I see nothing about Hill-Hold. I actually don't see and description.

Since this is my brakes I am not going to just start clicking things.

What version of the software are you running. I am running the most current version of 11. Are you running the Beta of 12?

-Loki

IRISHpride

TDI
2015 Golf
Alright, doesn't appear to be that simple or I am missing something. The only brake controller I see is the ABS - Brakes, and in coding byte 2, I see nothing about Hill-Hold. I actually don't see and description.

Since this is my brakes I am not going to just start clicking things.

What version of the software are you running. I am running the most current version of 11. Are you running the Beta of 12?

-Loki
I'm running the newest version and it worked for me. I've done it in the Passat and my MK6 GTI it's in the the ABS section long coding helper.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
It is byte 16, bit 0. Not even close to byte 2...but thanks for the vicinity!

Done. Lets see if it makes a difference.

-Loki

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So has anyone who deleted HHA had any "oh poop" moments on a hill? Just wanted to hear any counterpoint before I try this too.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
So has anyone who deleted HHA had any "oh poop" moments on a hill? Just wanted to hear any counterpoint before I try this too.
Had a chance to drive a fair bit today with it disabled. Including some on a hill stop/starts. Take your foot off the brake and on the gas, on a steep hill, you can feel it slipping the clutch to hold you right away. Only on the steepest of hills could I see the brakes doing something the clutch can't already do.

Biggest difference for me, was backing down my driveway, it is VERY steep, and now it will roll backward out of the driveway, instead of me feeling like I was fighting the Hill Hold.

I like it so far, but only time will tell.

-Loki

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
I had to upgrade VCDS from version 11.11.3 to 11.11.4 in order to see the ABS labels. Made the change to delete Hill Hold a few days ago. I am happy with the change, I have not stalled the car since and I see no reason at this point to re-activate it.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Has anyone gotten the lane change flash to go from 3 to 5? I have Vagcom but have not seen the correct spot to do it. I have a 2012 Passat SE.

I also did not like the hill hold 'feature'. Have not had this for over 50 years of driving hills and all it did was assure that I killed the engine. Quite annoying.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Excellent! Now that I have the lane change to 5 flashes, the hill hold disabled and the rain sensing wipers enabled ( but not tested ), does anyone know if the sensitivity of the rear view mirror can be adjusted? When I drive in the dark, I want the headlights behind me to be very dim. I am not thrilled with what I have now. I have sensitive eyes I guess.

Thanks compu_85! :)