Finish protection from elements

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Kind of curious, what most of you use for sealer on the paint finish of your brand new Passat? Things you like or dislike? How long does a sealer application last?

Diesel Ed

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG); 09 Jetta TDI (DSG, Sedan)
I used Meguiar's #21, which is a synthetic wax/sealant, when I detailed our Passat this weekend. Looks great and has worked well on many of our other vehicles. I get it from AutoGeek, but if you want something you can buy locally NXT is a great product, as is the Gold Class line of wax, it just doesn't last as long being carnuba based.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
When rain stops beading on your paint it means that the wax needs to be repaced. Variables that affect the time are the weather and sun exposure and quality of wax.

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI w/DSG(transmission failed w/800 miles on it) 2012 Passat SE w/Sunroof -65k traded in on 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof 2006 Ford F350 on 37's, few things deleted, little methanol injection, few things modded, few more filters added :)
Zymoil is the only one i have found that doesnt seem to leave a hard to buff out residue on black. it is a bit pricey but all natural and does an amazing job. on anything other than this damn black i have always used meguires gold.

Niner

I've always had good luck with anything with Carnuba wax in it, Meguires Gold is pretty good, but requires frequent applications. I'm looking perhaps for something longer lasting, maybe professional strength like a detailer uses.

Thanks to all, so far, for the input. I could swear I saw a thread in here somewhere on sealers for the finish in the passat section here, but I've been unable with using the search feature to find it.

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL 2012 Passat SEL
Based on the comments I assume you are talking about wax.

That being said I used a 3M Clear Bra on my car. Had the whole front end done. As well as whole rear bumper. Door sill's, mirrors, A-pillars and the spot between the front glass and the sunroof.

I do this to all my new cars and have been very happy over the years. Also I do not need to wax the area's covered just wash :)

germ

TDI
2012 Passat tdi 6sp man
I have tried many waxs & sealants. I've found that ICE by turtle is the very best. It lasts,the shine is superior and it's easy to apply.

heck

TDI
none
I suggest you look at this site:
http://www.poorboysworld.com/
Great products that do not break the bank!
Their sealer and waxes work together, so you can sealer and then apply their wax over the top of the sealer. Double protection.

Diesel Ed

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG); 09 Jetta TDI (DSG, Sedan)
The Meg's #21, along with NXT lasts 4-6 months depending on how many coats you use and your weather conditions and washing habits. Gold Class lasts 2 months or so.

Niner

I am thinking PoorBoys EX-P, then maybe some meguires 21 on top of that. Do EX-P maybe once a year and meguires 21 2 to 3 times a year. Wonder how that will hold up in the AZ summer sun?

Niner

I'd prefer to use a professional grade sealer /sealant that's good for 6 months or more of 1x a week gentle car washings, or less frequent washes if possible, that will withstand blazing sunshine and summer heat here in AZ. Wax on, wax off is a PIA and time consuming., it gets dirty really fast here in the desert, wind and dust, all the time, then the monsoon season from July on through Sept. Hence my search for a synthetic paint sealant.

Last edited: