Anyone Chipped a 2012 Passat TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI w/DSG(transmission failed w/800 miles on it) 2012 Passat SE w/Sunroof -65k traded in on 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof 2006 Ford F350 on 37's, few things deleted, little methanol injection, few things modded, few more filters added :)
Also I don't play both sides of the fence on issues so no need to drag me into that side of the argument but thank you for the questions of the 6.0. If I can get you any info on that please let me know I will happily help you out.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
200k on a 6.0... that's damn good of ya. In your experience, what would be the cause of your cam going out on you?
Any oil analysis's to confirm element metals in your oil that would indicate cam failure versus bore wear?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You guys are welcome to start your own PSD thread in the non-VW Group Diesel forum... :) (honestly, I'd be happy to join in the discussion - but this isn't the place for it)

For what it's worth, my 6.0 has 140K on it, needs studs, gaskets, EGR delete and oil cooler. It has a little thump on one cylinder that I suspect may be a worn intake lobe on the cam. Basically -- in need of a complete tear-down. Still runs like a champ, 420/790 at the wheels with a $50 tune. :cool:

Last edited:

4whlr

TDI
2011 Wagen
"and that includes speeding above the posted limit"

I bet you are one of those a$$ bags that drives the speed limit while in the fast lane too.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

I bet you are one of those a$$ bags that drives the speed limit while in the fast lane too.
HEH,
Speaking of ABs in the fast lane, I will admit freely to breaking the posted speed limit multiple times daily. I do not recommend driving in that manner to those who cannot devote their full faculties and attention to the road, but I do break the speed limit on a rather predictable basis. (IE. every time I drive to work)

I would estimate that 99.5% of the people on the road with me during morning rush hour are exceeding the posted limit by at least 10 mph and about 20% manage to briefly approach 90mph in a 65 zone. This is considered NORMAL by all who participate, even those ABs in the fast lane who endanger us all by making the rest of the world perform near emergency maneuvers to avoid hitting them..... LOL

Bill

:DEngage in digital communications, flip off a dangerous driver today!:D

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI w/DSG(transmission failed w/800 miles on it) 2012 Passat SE w/Sunroof -65k traded in on 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof 2006 Ford F350 on 37's, few things deleted, little methanol injection, few things modded, few more filters added :)
HEH,
Speaking of ABs in the fast lane, I will admit freely to breaking the posted speed limit multiple times daily. I do not recommend driving in that manner to those who cannot devote their full faculties and attention to the road, but I do break the speed limit on a rather predictable basis. (IE. every time I drive to work)

I would estimate that 99.5% of the people on the road with me during morning rush hour are exceeding the posted limit by at least 10 mph and about 20% manage to briefly approach 90mph in a 65 zone. This is considered NORMAL by all who participate, even those ABs in the fast lane who endanger us all by making the rest of the world perform near emergency maneuvers to avoid hitting them..... LOL

Bill

This too is the case in ATL. Drive 55 and you will get run over or cause a wreck. hell the mass transit busses run 65-70 and cops are in the 65-80 range running with the flow and not pulling people over unless bobing and weaving in and out of lanes.

Everyone quit being so damn self righteous. we all have our faults and all cheat society or ourselves in one way or another. get over your self.

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
200k on a 6.0... that's damn good of ya. In your experience, what would be the cause of your cam going out on you?
Any oil analysis's to confirm element metals in your oil that would indicate cam failure versus bore wear?
The cam failuse is so not much a matter of it being scored on the races and failing but rather the block itself allowing the cam to walk back and forth while in service. This in turn causes the lobes to wear but the lobes themself were not the inital root cause of failure. unforunately if this starts to happen the only way to fix is with a new block. getting this deep into the 6.0 and doing it right would run you around 8,000. at that point in time it would start to become an issue of cummins 12v swap, 7.3 swap or try and get a new ford 6.7 in there. i know that so far ford has had very good luck with thier new 6.7 and dealerships have reported only very minor issues if any at all. 400hp and 800ft/lb stock while getting 17-22mpg is amazing.....course cummins engineers did help design it :)

Last edited:

Niner

HEH,
Billhttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2738658554342&set=a.2664019128403.2109751.1493740375&type=1&theater

Sounds to me, by your own admission, that most are not devoting full attention to driving, otherwise there wouldn't be those "near emergency maneuvers to avoid hitting" what is in front of you. Most of AZ interstate is 75 mph speed limit. Most cities in California are 65 mph. I feel the same way about speed limits as I do red line limits on motors. They are there for everyone's safety. Not everywhere is as flat, straight and boring as Kansas or Nebraska plains on the interstate, especially out west. :D

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Sounds to me, by your own admission, that most are not devoting full attention to driving, otherwise there wouldn't be those "near emergency maneuvers to avoid hitting" what is in front of you. Most of AZ interstate is 75 mph speed limit. Most cities in California are 65 mph. I feel the same way about speed limits as I do red line limits on motors. They are there for everyone's safety. Not everywhere is as flat, straight and boring as Kansas or Nebraska plains on the interstate, especially out west. :D

'By my own admission':D, there are way too many self absorbed/selfish/sleepy, undertrained and/or inattentive/impaired drivers out there. They cause mayhem, loss of property, injury and death.

When I look at a section of road from a single point and see 398 people going 10 (or even more) over the limit and 2 cars going much slower and making all the other drivers maneuver around them.... I see 2 BAD DRIVERS and 398 normal people. Troopers see it the same way.:eek:

OTOH, When I see 398 people going the speed limit and 2 people speeding/weaving through the pack I still see 398 normal people and 2 BAD DRIVERS.

There is a time and place when speeding is appropriate and necessary, just as there is a time and place when we should be in some gear other than high gear or even pull over and spend the night instead of staying on the road.

:)Be as safe as you can out there, whatever it takes.:)

Sorry about my poor grammar, but I think most will understand what I am trying to say.

Bill (Class A CDL or equivalent for over 40 years)

Niner

Sure, it's legal. ;) I've enough family in law enforcement that say it's a great idea, encourage everyone to do it, and it makes their job easier when they see the a$$ bags that pass on my right, instead of the left, while I am within the letter of the law. Then they can spend more of their time catching real criminals when there is compliance with the laws and they aren't getting complaints about speeders. If I call in 911 about someone speeding, or unsafe lane changes and I get their plate number, 9 times out of 10, withing 20 or 30 minutes up the road, I'll see them pulled over getting a citation by the Highway Patrol. Nothing works better than hitting a moron that speeds where it hurts, in the wallet, and in insurance rate increases. :D Obey, or pay! :D:D:D Nothing wrong with being within my rights and within the law on a public road. Driving is a privilege, not a right, helps to remember that.

4whlr

TDI
2011 Wagen
Sure, it's legal. .
So, you are admitting that you are an a$$ bag?

Actually its not legal. Most highways have signs saying "slower traffic keep right". If you are going slower than the flow of traffic, you need to be in the right lane. It's people like you that cause more accidents than people driving over the speed limit.

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
Sure, it's legal. ;) I've enough family in law enforcement that say it's a great idea, encourage everyone to do it, and it makes their job easier when they see the a$$ bags that pass on my right, instead of the left, while I am within the letter of the law. Then they can spend more of their time catching real criminals when there is compliance with the laws and they aren't getting complaints about speeders. If I call in 911 about someone speeding, or unsafe lane changes and I get their plate number, 9 times out of 10, withing 20 or 30 minutes up the road, I'll see them pulled over getting a citation by the Highway Patrol. Nothing works better than hitting a moron that speeds where it hurts, in the wallet, and in insurance rate increases. :D Obey, or pay! :D:D:D Nothing wrong with being within my rights and within the law on a public road. Driving is a privilege, not a right, helps to remember that.
Almost all states have laws stating no matter how fast you are driving, if you are slower than the person behind you....move over! that is the law so follow it too.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Huh? How'd we get here from chipping a 2012 TDI?

Isn't there another forum for the circuitous discussion of the morale implications of speeding?

Please, moderator, can you clean this up?

Niner

Almost all states have laws stating no matter how fast you are driving, if you are slower than the person behind you....move over! that is the law so follow it too.
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html
Fine and dandy, most of the states I drive in on business, California being most frequent, have a "not exceeding prima facie speed limit" rule.
Your "almost all", means nothing... there are 38 million people in California, and a larger percentage of them drive than in any other state, when it comes to population of people that drive. About another 6.5 million in Arizona.
Reread the color coding, I see mostly yellow percentage wise, which states " yellow if vehicles moving at the normal speed of traffic are permitted in the left lane even when they are unnecessarily obstructing other traffic"
No need to follow your laws, they don't apply in the states I drive in. :D Maybe when I get a citation, I'll learn? In the mean time, I'll keep on doing what works out here in the wild west.

4whlr

TDI
2011 Wagen
"Fine and dandy, most of the states I drive in on business, California being most frequent, have a "not exceeding prima facie speed limit" rule"

You need to read what it says:

21650. Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right
half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the
same direction under the rules governing that movement.
(b) When placing a vehicle in a lawful position for, and when the
vehicle is lawfully making, a left turn.
(c) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic under
construction or repair.
(d) Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
(e) When the roadway is not of sufficient width.
(f) When the vehicle is necessarily traveling so slowly as to
impede the normal movement of traffic, that portion of the highway
adjacent to the right edge of the roadway may be utilized temporarily
when in a condition permitting safe operation.
(g) This section does not prohibit the operation of bicycles on
any shoulder of a highway, on any sidewalk, on any bicycle path
within a highway, or along any crosswalk or bicycle path crossing,
where the operation is not otherwise prohibited by this code or local
ordinance.

Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right

a$$ bag is not included here, so stay in the right lane if you are impeeding traffic.

Niner

"Fine and dandy, most of the states I drive in on business, California being most frequent, have a "not exceeding prima facie speed limit" rule"

You need to read what it says:

21650. Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the
same direction under the rules governing that movement.
(b) When placing a vehicle in a lawful position for, and when the
vehicle is lawfully making, a left turn.
(c) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic under
construction or repair.
(d) Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
(e) When the roadway is not of sufficient width.
(f) When the vehicle is necessarily traveling so slowly as to
impede the normal movement of traffic, that portion of the highway
adjacent to the right edge of the roadway may be utilized temporarily
when in a condition permitting safe operation.
(g) This section does not prohibit the operation of bicycles on
any shoulder of a highway, on any sidewalk, on any bicycle path
within a highway, or along any crosswalk or bicycle path crossing,
where the operation is not otherwise prohibited by this code or local
ordinance.

Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right

a$$ bag is not included here, so stay in the right lane if you are impeeding traffic.
Refresh my memory for rules on the Interstate and on Freeways. :D

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I tried to go through and clean things up, but it's too far gone... doomed from post #3. :(

Feel free to start a new chip thread, but leave the crap out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.