Fuel prices going up!!!!!!

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Big SUV's like the suburban are prone to rollovers. High CG and poor handling characteristics combine. Rollovers are a big percentage of SUV injury accidents.
Well you're partially right. Height must be offset by wheelbase. Most SUVs suffer in this respect, whereas Suburbans and trucks do not.

Also, from a safety perspective, full frame vehicles are king.

If comfort and safety still topped my list, the Suburban would be the daily driver.

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
There is nothing safer for a driver that does not know what they are driving and how to drive it.
What you guys are referring to is user stupidity. I would never drive an SUV the way I drive my Passat or how I drove my Honda Accord before. I sure as hell don't plan on driving into walls and polls.
As a matter of fact I seldomly drive much higher than posted speeds.
If I worry accidents it is usually other drivers that I worry not so much about my driving. Also much vulnerable are the side impacts and not so much a frontal and rear end crash.

Again we are talking about people running into you and not you running into people. Recently a friend of mine was in an accident with an 18 wheeler running into him head on and he was in a F250. The truck was totaled and was really in a bad shape but the impact never reached the passenger compartment. He walked away from the crash without a scratch. Yes he was hurting for few days due to impact but he never got hit directly from anything, his windshield was intact as well.
1. only .000013575% of SUV drivers are remotely capable of driving them which still doesnt change their poor manuverability unless you are driving a porsche cayenne turbo
2. passenger car compartments do the same thing now. look at high speed wrecks involving german cars, the car may be totalled but the passenger compartment is fine.

each wreck is unique but please do not continue to brainwash yourself and others into thinking you are safer because you are in a larger vehicle. if anything, you are more prone to rollovers and or injuring another party plus consuming more of a limited resource.

your "i am safer because i am in a larger vehicle" excuse may have worked in the 70s, 80s and maybe even 90s but not in todays vehicles with unibodies, crumple zones and other safety features to protect the passenger compartment.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^what he said. Full-frame cars are notorious for sudden deceleration injuries, because of the rigidity of the structure. Protection in this case is an illusion.

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT, 2006 Jeep Rubicon 6MT & 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
Diesel is almost $4 here in Dallas. You will have to look hard to find some at $3.9 or $3.95.
Regular is $3.79

Premium is actually getting 10 cents higher than Diesel which I like. Difference between regular gas and diesel is decreasing.