Stupid Techs

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI w/DSG(transmission failed w/800 miles on it) 2012 Passat SE w/Sunroof -65k traded in on 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof 2006 Ford F350 on 37's, few things deleted, little methanol injection, few things modded, few more filters added :)
So had the Passat in for the 10k service, everything went pretty normal other than the seperating center portion of my steering wheel air bag that will have to be replaced. well driving home and notice the "next oil change" sticker that says next service 15,535.....:confused: mileage when i went in was 10,115 so by his math the next service would be 5220 miles later....***? am i missing something or as im assuming is this guy just an idiot? Dash display says next service 10k miles and im assuming this is correct.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
So had the Passat in for the 10k service, everything went pretty normal other than the seperating center portion of my steering wheel air bag that will have to be replaced. well driving home and notice the "next oil change" sticker that says next service 15,535.....:confused: mileage when i went in was 10,115 so by his math the next service would be 5220 miles later....***? am i missing something or as im assuming is this guy just an idiot? Dash display says next service 10k miles and im assuming this is correct.
Idiot tech, although my dealership sends notices at 5K. Their belief is that most people will wait, so they tell them to do it early versus late.

Did you confirm that oil part number and amount used to ensure it is 507.01 spec oil of the right grade?

10K is the service interval.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
In order to increase revenue dealers are recommending changing oil every 5K instead of 10K miles. Ignore and follow the recommendations in the manual.