Excessive tire wear inside edge one tire only

MrBigTruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle, 2000 GTI ALH swap, 2006 Jetta, 2006 Jetta, 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI
2000 NB, Front tire, driver's side. It's worn down pretty bad on the inside edge and looking at it i can see it sits at an angle with the top of the tire leaning in and the bottom of the tire sitting out. The passenger side is perfectly perpendicular to the ground and has no unusual wear. I rotate my tires every 5,000 miles, all front suspension components recently replaced except struts. Haven't done anything with my wheel bearings or axles either. Tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, upper strut mount and bearing all done. Got it aligned Struts are original with 161K on the car. I'm guessing struts. Will bad struts cause the tire to sit at an offset angle like that?

If it is struts, I've narrowed it down to Koni Reds or FSD's. Are the FSD's enough better to justify the extra dough? I drive 50 miles each way to work on 65-70MPH highways.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I would definitely replace struts and re-align... I am not sure about the un-even wear but I had a strut that was so worn out inside that it made a clunking noise. After I had it out I could wiggle the shaft side to side inside the housing.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Are you the original owner? And if so, you ever run that tire into a curb at an angle? If not the original owner, no telling what happened before you got the car. My guess is that the strut is bent and if you put new struts on that should take care of the problem, if the strut is bent. The control arm could be bent too, you did not list this as being replaced.

"Got it aligned "

You should have gotten a print out of the alignment specs and it should have shown that the camber is off (negative).

Look closely at the control arm and if it appears to be OK, put new struts on then get it aligned and see where you stand, you might have to replace the control arm too.

I found this picture on Wikepedia:

"The 1960 Milliken MX1 Camber Car showing a large negative camber."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_angle

-Nate

Last edited: